U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM

721 posts, read 1,504,385 times

Advertisements

"Fake" Cities would be Cities that

1. Have less than 6,000 people per square mile. Pittsburgh, Detroit, and other rust belt cities are an exception to this rule (Some would argue L.A is a Fake City despite its 8,000 people per square mile)
2. Are dominated by winding avenues and McMansions
3. Are supported entirely on road networks with little to no use of Mass Transit
4. Basically anything within the limits of the Sun Belt could qualify as a "fake" city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,656,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post

1. Have less than 6,000 people per square mile. Pittsburgh, Detroit, and other rust belt cities are an exception to this rule (Some would argue L.A is a Fake City despite its 8,000 people per square mile)
3. Are supported entirely on road networks with little to no use of Mass Transit
4. Basically anything within the limits of the Sun Belt could qualify as a "fake" city.
Oh brother.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,111,261 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to LA?

Quote:
Because LA's definitely NOT dominated by McMansions and despite popular belief, tons of people use mass transit everyday here and that number will only go up as the Metrorail network continues to expand. LA was a transit city long before it was a car city.

Quote:
New Orleans, home of the French Quarter, the Garden District, and the oldest continuously operating street railway system in the world is a fake city?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 PM

737 posts, read 996,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh brother.
He does have a good point, but I would expand his definition to say that anything south of D.C. and east of California is a "fake city"

Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
He does have a good point, but I would expand his definition to say that anything south of D.C. and east of California is a "fake city"
So you really believe that all cities in that area are made up of McMansions and winding roads without mass transit???

I wonder why Northeast and Midwest cities with lower densities get a "pass" while other cities are deemed "fake" for the same thing...seems a little biased to me.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 PM

737 posts, read 996,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So you really believe that all cities in that area are made up of McMansions and winding roads without mass transit???

I wonder why Northeast and Midwest cities with lower densities get a "pass" while other cities are deemed "fake" for the same thing...seems a little biased to me.
I was trying to be facetious but there aren't enough good smiley faces for it

Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
I was trying to be facetious but there aren't enough good smiley faces for it
Oh okay. Facetious...that's my baby's name.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM

5,522 posts, read 13,433,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
any city with a subway system
Rochester used to have a subway, but they abandoned it in the 1950s (and replaced most of it with I-490). So does that mean Rochester USED to be a real city, but is no longer?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM

721 posts, read 1,504,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Have you ever been to LA?
Yes I've spent more time in the suburbs of L.A than you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Because LA's definitely NOT dominated by McMansions and despite popular belief, tons of people use mass transit everyday here and that number will only go up as the Metrorail network continues to expand. LA was a transit city long before it was a car city.
Did I ever say L.A was a "fake" city? Living in L.A, you definitely need a car. There is no argument to that. Don't try to start an argument opposing an already well known fact.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 PM

13,991 posts, read 21,714,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
I would say that Jacksonville, FL is a faux city.
How is Jacksonville a fake city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or