Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Probably...

Atlanta has Baton Bob, a very well-known street character:
"Famous" Chicago nutjobs/bums [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Click on that for some of Chicago's crazies.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:43 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
What's Chicago's equivalent of Chelsea Piers?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Default How the Navy Pier got its name

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
In case you didn't see it before:

1. American Museum of Natural History ........... Field Museum
2. Metropolitian Museum of Art ................. Art Institute of Chicago
3. South Street Seaport .................... Maybe Pullman Historic District (Industrial instead of shipping)
4. Greenwich Village .............. This is most definitely Old Town. Their histories are directly parallel.
5. Richmondtown ....................... Naper Settlement or Grist Mill?
6. USS Interpid ............... The McCormick Tribune Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry
7. Gateway National Recreational Area ................... Cook and Dupage County Forest Preserves
8. Conference House (Staten Island Peace Conference) ......................... Hull House
9. Statue of Liberty ...................... Statue of the Republic and the Lighthouse
10. Sheepshead Bay ............................... Lake Calumet

Feedback time. Lemme have it.
OK I am going to have to look some of this stuff up first! But let me say something about the USS Interpid.

USS Interpid: I do not think you have anything the size of a Aircraft carrier as a museum ship in Chicago. A museum ship that doubles as a floating Fighter Aircraft Museum. A submarine does not quite make the grade and trying to combine 3 separate museums to match the one carrier is sort of tweaking it to say the least!

BUT I did mention the USS Interpid for a reason (I am very devious!). So I could mention Chicago used to have TWO AIRCRAFT CARRIERS! The USS Sable and the USS Wolverine were converted into freshwater carriers on Lake Michigan and docked at the Municipal Pier during WW2. Thousand of sailors and pilots trained safetly* on these Lake carriers, including future President George Bush the Father.

Although both carriers are long gone, Chicago renamed the Municipal Pier, the NAVY PIER after the war as a memorial.

* The Great Lakes were a good place to train young sailors and pilots during WW2 because they were safe from German, Japanese and Italian mines and submarines.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
OK I am going to have to look some of this stuff up first! But let me say something about the USS Interpid.

USS Interpid: I do not think you have anything the size of a Aircraft carrier as a museum ship in Chicago. A museum ship that doubles as a floating Fighter Aircraft Museum. A submarine does not quite make the grade and trying to combine 3 separate museums to match the one carrier is sort of tweaking it to say the least!

BUT I did mention the USS Interpid for a reason (I am very devious!). So I could mention Chicago used to have TWO AIRCRAFT CARRIERS! The USS Sable and the USS Wolverine were converted into freshwater carriers on Lake Michigan and docked at the Municipal Pier during WW2. Thousand of sailors and pilots trained safetly* on these Lake carriers, including future President George Bush the Father.

Although both carriers are long gone, Chicago renamed the Municipal Pier, the NAVY PIER after the war as a memorial.

* The Great Lakes were a good place to train young sailors and pilots during WW2 because they were safe from German, Japanese and Italian mines and submarines.
The Intrepid is huge...I went to a big party on it once.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
HAHA! Hey, what about the "Hi Guy?" Has anybody seen him riding around town lately? Or, Ronny Woo-Woo.
I was going to mention "Hi Guy" with the the beanie propeller. Or, in the nineties, there was Lakeview Jesus, in full biblical garb, who walked around carrying the cross. Literally a full size cross.

odd turn this thread has taken. I guess a New York - Chicago thread was bound to turn into a discussion about a cowboy transvestite, a Jesus impersonator and a happy guy wearing a beanie.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
In case you didn't see it before:

1. American Museum of Natural History ........... Field Museum
2. Metropolitian Museum of Art ................. Art Institute of Chicago
3. South Street Seaport .................... Maybe Pullman Historic District (Industrial instead of shipping)
4. Greenwich Village .............. This is most definitely Old Town. Their histories are directly parallel.
5. Richmondtown ....................... Naper Settlement or Grist Mill?
6. USS Interpid ............... The McCormick Tribune Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry
7. Gateway National Recreational Area ................... Cook and Dupage County Forest Preserves
8. Conference House (Staten Island Peace Conference) ......................... Hull House
9. Statue of Liberty ...................... Statue of the Republic and the Lighthouse
10. Sheepshead Bay ............................... Lake Calumet

Feedback time. Lemme have it.
I agree with alot of what you said. Here are a few differences.

# 8 Hull House seems to be more like Sailors Snug Harbor on Staten Island then the Conference House. The Conference House is the manor house where John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and the young Edward Rutledge met with Lord Admiral Howe and his brother General Sir William Howe to try to find a peaceful solution to the War of Independence.

#10 Lake Calumet is a freshwater lake. Sheepshead Bay is a port for deep sea fishing vessels and party boats.

#5 The Naper Settlement is a very good guess. but because it is not in Chicago and is not quite as old as Richmondtown I think it matches much better with Old Bethpage Village on Long Island. One of my favorite places in Nassau County.

#3 Does not really compare. In fact I think you found something that New York does not really have. The Pullman Historic District is a planned industrial community. We have historic elements of that in Queens like Woodhaven, College Point and especially the Steinway* section of Astoria. But nothing quite the size of Pullman, at least that I know of.

*Home to the famous Steinway Piano company!

Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
See I hate when people put all people into groups, what _________ NY attitude? Everyone's an individual.
When I was in NYC, I never noticed any of the A-holeness that supposedly pours forth into the streets there. However, there was definitely a Bigger-Grander-More Spectacular vibe that I got while walking around Midtown. It wasn't just in Times Square. It was all around, and it was almost tangible. New Yorkers are VERY proud of their city, as well they should be. However, there is a point where civic pride crosses over into a sense of hegemony which is no longer virtuous but almost malevolent. New Yorkers came to that point (and crossed it) decades ago!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What year was that? Atlanta's Baton Bob has been here for years.
Ummm I lived in the CWE from 01-03 and he was still performing. I know he was here before that as well. I think maybe he left in 03 or 04. What a character he was!!! I find it awesome he surfaced in the thread. If you ever encounter him let him know that the STL misses him. Cheap entertainment.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM

26 posts, read 44,051 times
Default Pointing out absurdity of this thread...

Quote:
This was an idea we came up with in a New York City thread last spring. I have been of the (humble) opinion that Chicago has everything that New York City has--and I bet I can prove it.

I want to see if I can do this. So, you tell me something that NYC has, and I will attempt to name for you the Chicago equivalent.

Any takers?
Well, if you think you can compare a international center of commerce, arts and politics to Chicago than I am not sure anyone can help you....
I'll give it a shot, though.

No other city in the US and not many around the world offer as much as New York. What New York offers and no other city in the US can is for instance an extensive 24/7 mass transit system with ridership numbers higher than those of all other US cities combined. New York offers Broadway which is the largest and arguably the most esteemed theater district on the planet, United Nations, Wall Street, New York Times, famous galleries of SoHo, Lincoln Performaning Arts Center, most TV networks headquarters, Silvercup movie studio, New York Film Festival, Tribeca Film Festival, US Open (tennis), Chinatown, Little Italy, an international port and thousands of celebrity-residents to name just the obvious few...
Of course you can always claim that Chicago has the same as New York, for instance Chicago Cubs are simply Yankees' equivalent but even you would realize absurdity of that claim as following its logic one could claim that most of large cities offer as much as New York as there is always some sport team, a newspaper and possibly a theater...
Are they the same stature or offer the same level of quality as the Yankees, New York Times or Broadway? Of course not. This comparison would be absurd.

PS. By the way, what's up with your inferiority complex towards New York? Quick look at your profile reveals that you started a total of 12 threads and among them the following "gems":

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/784265-your-turn-find-nyc-equivalent-these.html"]YOUR TURN: Find a NYC equivalent for these Chicago landmarks.[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/782509-try-me-name-chicago-equivalent-something.html"]TRY ME: Name the Chicago Equivalent for something in NYC.[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/644660-white-plains-ny-worst-town-country.html"]Is White Plains, NY the Worst Town in the Country?[/URL]

[URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/search-ts.php?do=process&starteronly=1&searchuser=139842[/URL]

What is your obsession with New York and constant comparing of Chicago to New York? )

Last edited by upper_hand; 11-02-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
New York City has an array of coastal fortifications totally lacking in Chicago. At New York one can see First and Second System forts like Forts Jay and Wood and Castle Williams and several Third System forts such as Forts Schuyler, Totten, Tompkins and Richmond.

In addition there are numerous remaining Endicott and Taft coastal emplacements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City