U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is MORE Southern,Dallas or Atlanta?Why?
Dallas 14 18.67%
Atlanta 61 81.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM

1,366 posts, read 2,119,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
wow lol

I guess the north must of annexed Dallas. I've noticed people in the DFW region get highly offensive when you compare them to other parts of Texas. It's sometime almost as bad the Austitude. However, they are easily the most "Texasish" major city in Texas. Well, after Fort Worth.
But what defines Texan? and for that matter what defines Southern? and where do those characteristics intersect and diverge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM

15,989 posts, read 28,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
But what defines Texan? and for that matter what defines Southern? and where do those characteristics intersect and diverge?
Cowboys, rodeos, BBQ, friendly, and more. Remember, that is just describing the stereotypical Texas which the DFW area feeds into.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,050,512 times
Quote:
wow lol

I guess the north must of annexed Dallas. I've noticed people in the DFW region get highly offensive when you compare them to other parts of Texas. It's sometime almost as bad the Austitude. However, they are easily the most "Texasish" major city in Texas. Well, after Fort Worth.
I'd say that besides Northern VA and parts of Florida, the DFW area has lost quite a bit of its "southerness" than many other parts of the south. It does feel more classically Texan than Houston though. Not downplaying Houston's Texas ethos by any means when I say that.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 AM

3,261 posts, read 7,282,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Just because YOU do not know the HISTORY of the SOUTH,YOU should not call anyone IGNORANT.The African American experience is CENTRAL to the culture of the South.Unlike Caucasian Americans in other regions outside of the South,A.A.are in many cases are maybe only 2 or 3 generations removed from the South:
Article about African Americans:

This is from an article on the Southern United States

Notice what it states have the least or NO African Amercans.Look at the region of half-of Texas(that includes Dallas and Houston).

Also this:

Its agreed by most that the Hispanic Culture dominates in certain areas and states more than others(New Mexico,California,Arizona).Some of those places are the oldest in the Country.Like Santa Fe,N.M.What I cannot see is why YOU think its ludicrous or "ignorant" to say that the impact of African American culture is widely predominate with the origns and cultural traditions to a city in the a South like Dallas or rest of The South.YOU sound really ignorant.You cannot possibly be from the South.
I don't see Harris County or Dallas County highlighted!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 AM

13,898 posts, read 20,461,145 times
Quote:
You know I was at the barbershop just the other day getting a cut and a heated discussion got started between one of the barbers and a customer about what Houston was. Some dude said Houston was really the southwest, and this other dude from Chicago was like "Houston is southern because y'all fools is country as hell". People than started up a comparison with Houston and Dallas; lots were saying Dallas wasn't as country and southern as Houston. Some dude even called it the north LOL
Word? LOL black folk. Houston is more Southern then Dallas, but I wouldn't call Dallas the North. Whoever in that barbershop that said Dallas was the north needs a geography lesson.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,050,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Word? LOL black folk. Houston is more Southern then Dallas, but I wouldn't call Dallas the North. Whoever in that barbershop that said Dallas was the north needs a geography lesson.
Well, it's north of Houston, he was right about that.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM

15,989 posts, read 28,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So True lol

It was a good debate though and some people had good points. Other cities that were discussed was Atlanta, Austin, and New Orleans.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,308,792 times
Who cares?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 AM

13,898 posts, read 20,461,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Who cares?
Obviously YOU DO.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 AM

17,565 posts, read 23,759,065 times
Quote:
wow lol

I'm sorry but I find Dallas to be more country and slower in pace than Houston. That's me though. People in Dallas still wear leather shorts and shags. Think about that for a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City