U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is MORE Southern,Dallas or Atlanta?Why?
Dallas 14 18.67%
Atlanta 61 81.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM
 
13,884 posts, read 20,422,504 times
Reputation: 3947

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
So as Atlanta continues to diversify will its southern hertiage become in question? I dont think so.... If you took the hispanic population out of Dallas. Atlanta and Dallas would look literally look like twin cities. The majority of native Texans black and white population roots come from the south.This is why the majority of texans consider themselves southern. The hispanics roots come from Mexico.
And Texas was part of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:20 PM
 
13,884 posts, read 20,422,504 times
Reputation: 3947
Can someone explain to me how Dallas is AS Southern as Atlanta? Because NO ONE is making sense at this point. I already said that Dallas has Western influences that separate it from the rest of the South, but it's still Southern nonetheless. And I explained why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM
 
13,884 posts, read 20,422,504 times
Reputation: 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Couldn't disagree more. As I said in the Georgia forum, Latinos are not to Dallas as blacks are to Atlanta.

Despite numbers, the black culture is extremely dominant in ATL. The same cannot be said of Latinos in Dallas. If you take Latinos out of DFW, the city will simply go back to what it was before they came here: a black-and-white, Southern town. Period.
Until that happens, Dallas is a Southern town, with Western influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 28,074,190 times
Reputation: 7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Until that happens, Dallas is a Southern town, with Western influences.
I didn't even understand his logic when he used that example! LOL

"If you take all the people from cuba out of Miami....."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:30 PM
 
7,850 posts, read 16,898,812 times
Reputation: 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Can someone explain to me how Dallas is AS Southern as Atlanta? Because NO ONE is making sense at this point. I already said that Dallas has Western influences that separate it from the rest of the South, but it's still Southern nonetheless. And I explained why.
I agree...I, for one, was just participating in the discussion. Hardly anyone would rank Dallas over Atlanta in a "southerness" contest, so at the very least the perception is that Atlanta is more southern.

Geographically, Atlanta is more in the middle of the South, where Dallas is near the western border. So it's only logical that Dallas will have some western influence.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-11-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 PM
 
13,884 posts, read 20,422,504 times
Reputation: 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Couldn't disagree more. As I said in the Georgia forum, Latinos are not to Dallas as blacks are to Atlanta.

Despite numbers, the black culture is extremely dominant in ATL. The same cannot be said of Latinos in Dallas. If you take Latinos out of DFW, the city will simply go back to what it was before they came here: a black-and-white, Southern town. Period.
Until that happens, Dallas is a Southern town, with Western influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,253,943 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I didn't even understand his logic when he used that example! LOL

"If you take all the people from cuba out of Miami....."
You can play dumb if you want to, but my comparison made plenty of sense. And by the way, the first rodeo events are credited to Cheyenne, WY and Prescott, AZ. Not Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
 
7,850 posts, read 16,898,812 times
Reputation: 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
You can play dumb if you want to, but my comparison made plenty of sense. And by the way, the first rodeo events are credited to Cheyenne, WY and Prescott, AZ. Not Texas.
Just a thought...there are rodeos and rodeo associations throughout Atlanta and ALL OVER the state of Georgia. I know Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida are the same way. I wonder if that means Atlanta has experienced some western cultural influence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,253,943 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Until that happens, Dallas is a Southern town, with Western influences.
Western influences () that do not affect the southernness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,043,553 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Can someone explain to me how Dallas is AS Southern as Atlanta? Because NO ONE is making sense at this point. I already said that Dallas has Western influences that separate it from the rest of the South, but it's still Southern nonetheless. And I explained why.

I'm still trying to figure this out too. The posters that seem to get their hackles risen up the most by this aren't really clearly explaining their argument why Dallas is as or more southern than Atlanta.

I still stand by my belief that Dallas is southern, but it's a "border" area between several regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top