U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is MORE Southern,Dallas or Atlanta?Why?
Dallas 14 18.67%
Atlanta 61 81.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM

13,888 posts, read 20,431,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Texas culture is unique in the U.S.So its not Western in the sense of say New Mexico or Arizona or even California.Tejano is not say as central to the culture of Dallas like say it is in Houston.My point is Western and Texan are NOT always the same.
Neither is Texas and Southern.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I think Texas is a mixture of the South with a pinch of the west but Texas, at least Eastern Texas is very Southern to me.
EXACTLY. It's not like TX 0 western characteristics. It's not like ALL of TX is 100% Southern through and through.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,632,396 times
You know I keep hearing this debate on whether Texas is "southern" or not. If you look at cities like Austin, San Antonio,(or the extreme) El Paso, you would say, "Yeah, Texas is so no 'southern'." Same goes for Florida when people compare Miami. But it's like I always say, if you have never been to east Texas or northern Florida, you just won't get it because, if you did, you would see that both states have tons of "southern qualities". Now Texas has places, like I said El Paso, where people get confused. You're right, it is not completely southern. Texas is that point where "southern" becomes "western" and you have numerous towns that are just an interesting mix.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 PM

12,909 posts, read 18,402,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Texas culture is unique in the U.S.So its not Western in the sense of say New Mexico or Arizona or even California.Tejano is not say as central to the culture of Dallas like say it is in Houston.My point is Western and Texan are NOT always the same.
I dont really think Tejano is more central to the culture in Houston than it is in Dallas. I think its more central to the culture of San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley. But in recent years, it has become alot more central to the culture of Houston and Dallas because even though a city like San Antonio is more entwined with Mexican culture, there are alot more Mexicans in the Dallas and Houston areas than there are in the San Antonio area numerically. Dallas county has seen 250,000 new Latinos since 2000.

The difference is that I dont think Tejano culture dominates in Houston or Dallas like it does in San Antonio. But because of these huge Latino communities, it has a huge precense there. A great example is Chicago. Chicago actually has a bigger Mexican community than either Houston or Dallas but you would never know it because its pretty hidden among so many other cultures. Mexican culture is more obvious in Houston and Dallas but still not dominate because there are other cultures there too (albeit not as many as Chicago). In San Antonio, Mexican culture dominates. There arent really very many other cultures there.

Going back to which cities are the most southern, I still maintain that Atlanta is by a long shot. I also share the opinion that Houston is alot more southern than Dallas. I also still have the opinion that Dallas is a cross between Southern, Great Plains/Frontier, and Western.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
You know I keep hearing this debate on whether Texas is "southern" or not. If you look at cities like Austin, San Antonio,(or the extreme) El Paso, you would say, "Yeah, Texas is so no 'southern'." Same goes for Florida when people compare Miami. But it's like I always say, if you have never been to east Texas or northern Florida, you just won't get it because, if you did, you would see that both states have tons of "southern qualities". Now Texas has places, like I said El Paso, where people get confused. You're right, it is not completely southern. Texas is that point where "southern" becomes "western" and you have numerous towns that are just an interesting mix.
Exactly.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont really think Tejano is more central to the culture in Houston than it is in Dallas. I think its more central to the culture of San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley. But in recent years, it has become alot more central to the culture of Houston and Dallas because even though a city like San Antonio is more entwined with Mexican culture, there are alot more Mexicans in the Dallas and Houston areas than there are in the San Antonio area numerically. Dallas county has seen 250,000 new Latinos since 2000.

The difference is that I dont think Tejano culture dominates in Houston or Dallas like it does in San Antonio. But because of these huge Latino communities, it has a huge precense there. A great example is Chicago. Chicago actually has a bigger Mexican community than either Houston or Dallas but you would never know it because its pretty hidden among so many other cultures. Mexican culture is more obvious in Houston and Dallas but still not dominate because there are other cultures there too (albeit not as many as Chicago). In San Antonio, Mexican culture dominates. There arent really very many other cultures there.

Going back to which cities are the most southern, I still maintain that Atlanta is by a long shot. I also share the opinion that Houston is alot more southern than Dallas. I also still have the opinion that Dallas is a cross between Southern, Great Plains/Frontier, and Western.
Very true. But I think numerically San Antonio still has more Mexicans then Houston and Dallas. Though both Houston and Dallas have more then your average American city.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 PM

TX has Carl Jrs, while all the other Southern states EAST of the Sabine have Hardees. Texas is just as Western as it is Southern.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 PM

9,087 posts, read 11,966,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossimer View Post
True. BTW, are there particular "bragging rights" to being Southern or something? This is just my opinion but the South doesn't exactly have a great track record in certain areas - civil rights being one of them.

I do understand that Dr. Martin Luther King came from the South but I think that the South has a pretty bad reputation overall.
Part of that is deserved,but other areas of the U.S. that claim superiority usually do so without acknowledging its past.Its very hypocritical.

Native Americans how they are treated even today in The Dakotas,Oklahoma,etc.The Japanese Interment Camps out west in California.Even in Boston and Chicago with all the race riots.

Also yes there are just as many bragging rights to being "Southern"as there are to being American.Consider this:
Music:
Quote:
The South's musical history actually starts before the Civil War, with the songs of the African slaves and the traditional folk music brought from Great Britain and Ireland[citation needed]. Blues was developed in the rural South by African Americans at the beginning of the 20th century. In addition, gospel music, spirituals, country music, rhythm and blues, soul music, funk, rock and roll, beach music, bluegrass, jazz (including ragtime, popularized by Southerner Scott Joplin), zydeco, and Appalachian folk music were either born in the South or developed in the region

Food: The variety of cuisines range from Tex-Mex cuisine, Cajun and Creole, traditional antebellum fare, all types of seafood, and Texas, Carolina and Memphis styles of Barbecue.Fried Chicken
Sports:The birthplace of Michael Jordan,Ty Cobb,Bobby Jones,
Business:
Reginald Lewis
Quote:
In 1992, Forbes magazine listed Lewis among the 400 richest Americans with a net worth estimated at $400 million. He also was the first African American to build a billion dollar company.
He died at age 50, from brain cancer .

Oprah Winfrey,Bob Johnson(founder of BET,owner of the Charlotte Bobcats)(the first man and woman Billionaires both from Mississippi
Walter Eugene Massey, is an educator, physicist and corporate executive, born in Hattiesburg, Mississippi on April 5, 1938. He was elected Chairman of Bank of America Corporation on April 29, 2009, replacing Ken Lewis

Booker Taliaferro Washington (April 5, 1856 – November 14, 1915) was an American educator, orator, author and the dominant leader of the nation's African-American community from the 1890s to his death. Born into slavery and freed by the Civil War in 1865, he led the new Tuskegee Institute, then a teachers' college for blacks.

George Washington Carver (January 1864[1][2] – January 5, 1943), was an American scientist, botanist, educator and inventor whose studies and teaching revolutionized agriculture in the Southern United States

Mark Twain,
The Girl Scouts founded in Savannah
Lawrence Douglas Wilder (born January 17, 1931) is an American politician, the first African American to be elected as governor of a U.S. state, and the second to serve as governor.

Pinckney Benton Stewart Pinchback (May 10, 1837 – December 21, 1921) was the first non-white and first person of African American descent to become governor of a U.S. state. A Republican, he served as the governor of Louisiana for 35 days, from December 9, 1872, to January 13, 1873.(Born and raised in Macon,Georgia)

Hiram Rhodes Revels (September 27, 1827[1] – January 16, 1901) was the first African American to serve in the United States Senate.

Jack Roosevelt "Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was the first African-American Major League Baseball (MLB) player of the modern era.[2] Robinson broke the baseball color line when he debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. As the first black man to openly play in the major leagues since the 1880s, he was instrumental in bringing an end to racial segregation in professional baseball, which had relegated African-Americans to the Negro leagues for six decades

First known African-American church congregation: the First Colored Baptist Church, renamed First African Baptist Church, Savannah, Georgia. This claim is contested by the First Baptist Church, Petersburg, Virginia (1774) and historians of the Silver Bluff Baptist Church (1773-1775) of Aiken County, South Carolina

Henry Ossian Flipper (21 March 1856–3 May 1940) was an American soldier and the first black American cadet to graduate from the United States Military Academy at West Point.(From Thomasville ,Georgia)

Matilda Sissieretta Joyner Jones, known as Sissieretta Jones, (January 5, 1868 or 1869[1] – June 24, 1933[2]) was an African-American soprano. She sometimes was called "The Black Patti" in reference to Italian opera singer Adelina Patti. Jones' repertoire included grand opera, light opera, and popular music.(Portsmouth ,Virginia)

John Arthur Johnson (March 31, 1878 – June 10, 1946), better known as Jack Johnson and nicknamed the “Galveston Giant”, was an American boxer and arguably the best heavyweight of his generation. He was the first black world heavyweight boxing champion (1908-1915). In a documentary about his life, Ken Burns notes: "For more than thirteen years, Jack Johnson was the most famous and the most notorious African-American on Earth."(Galveston,Texas)

Madam C.J. Walker (December 23, 1867 – May 25, 1919) was an American businesswoman, hair care entrepreneur, tycoon and philanthropist. She died after World War I.First African-American millionaire

Josephine Baker (June 3, 1906 – April 12, 1975) was an American expatriate entertainer and actress. Baker was the first African American female to star in a major motion picture, to integrate an American concert hall, and to become a world-famous entertainer. She is also noted for her contributions to the Civil Rights Movement in the United States (she was offered the leadership of the movement by Coretta Scott King in 1968 following Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination, but turned it down), for assisting the French Resistance during World War II[3] and being the first American-born woman to receive the French military honor, the Croix de Guerre.

William Grant Still (May 11,1895 - December 3,1978) was an African-American classical composer who wrote more than 150 compositions. He was the first African-American to conduct a major American symphony orchestra, the first to have a symphony of his own (his first symphony) performed by a leading orchestra, the first to have an opera performed by a major opera company, and the first to have an opera performed on national television.(Woodville Mississippi)

Just a few reasons to be Proud to be Southern

Last edited by afonega1; 10-09-2009 at 01:10 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,387,217 times
I'm not sure why this is even a debate. When I think "Deep South," I don't think Dallas, but Atlanta does come to mind.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 PM

9,087 posts, read 11,966,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
TX has Carl Jrs, while all the other Southern states EAST of the Sabine have Hardees. Texas is just as Western as it is Southern.
Yes but we were discussing TWO cities,not all of Texas.We all know that in a state the size of Texas that things are vastly different in every part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City