Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is MORE Southern,Dallas or Atlanta?Why?
Dallas 14 18.42%
Atlanta 62 81.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I understand Kdoggs reasoning.Dallas was long before culturally with the roots of African Americans before the Hispanic population.Kdogg did use race but in this case it was appropriate to use it as a characterization of what the South is.Think of it this way:If the U.S. population of African-America is around 13% and the Hispanic population is now higher,then if you had to say, which of the two minorities are the most tied to this country culturally and historically?Which would you honestly say?Im sure most people by far,even in Iowa,would say African Americans have had greater influence.So that is my question for people who say it is equally or more so Western(more Hispanic-Indian influence)than Southern?Lets face it we all have ROOTS elsewhere in the world (unless you are Native American or mixed with more than just Native American).
But it goes beyond Hispanic, even in the white community over there you can see it's western influence. It developed differently then other Southern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But it goes beyond Hispanic, even in the white community over there you can see it's western influence. It developed differently then other Southern cities.
Thats your opinion.I personally do not see a major difference at all.Like what in Dallas makes it LESS Southern or more Western?What are Dallas's "western" roots?The demographics are very similar.The only major difference is the Hispanic population is about 15%-20% more than Atlanta.That is not a great difference but its significant, yet where does it show in the culture or even the history of the City?Just because their are currently more Hispanics living there does today ,does not make it less Southern,because Atlanta has a large Hispanic population as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times
Atlanta is more Southern, they are kinda similar city wise but two different feels. To me the cities dont feel country untill you get further out into the burbs. The people seem to be alike too just more hispanics in Dallas and more blacks in ATL.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,787,009 times
Quote:
Well I understand Kdoggs reasoning.Dallas was long before culturally with the roots of African Americans before the Hispanic population.Kdogg did use race but in this case it was appropriate to use it as a characterization of what the South is.Think of it this way:If the U.S. population of African-America is around 13% and the Hispanic population is now higher,then if you had to say, which of the two minorities are the most tied to this country culturally and historically?Which would you honestly say?Im sure most people by far,even in Iowa,would say African Americans have had greater influence.So that is my question for people who say it is equally or more so Western(more Hispanic-Indian influence)than Southern?Lets face it we all have ROOTS elsewhere in the world (unless you are Native American or mixed with more than just Native American).
Thanks man for understanding where I was coming from. Man you really can't understand a region and how it operates without being there for a significant amount of time. I was born in Fort Worth and raised on the East Side of Fort Worth. Man I know first hand how things have changed here because I live it. My dad was born in Atlanta and raised in Fort Worth and now resides back in Atlanta. I have spent a significant amount of time in Atlanta (Decatur/Lithonia) and I see that same old rich southern tradition in Dallas that I see in Atlanta. I remember when I was younger going to church (Holy Temple) in Atlanta and seeing the mothers and the deacons. Back than all the sisters use to wear those big hats. They use to sing a song called " Catch on Fire "....the mothers and the deacons all to catch on fire the fire in the holly ghost.... I remember everyone sininging at the " Lord Supper" Well I know it was the blood Well I know it was the blood for me....one day when I was loss...he died up on the...cross..oh I know it was the blood for ....me....Those where the goods days and my fundest memories of my grandmother before she past away in the 90's. Than there was Kirk Franklin a classmate of my mother and my father at O.D. Wyatt High School in Fort Worth, Texas. He completely changed the way we view gospel music today. Before his transformation of the way we view Gospel there was Kirk Franklin and (All in the Family). Yes " Fort Worth soulful black community played a huge part in Kirk Franklin first CD (All in the Family) and helped Kirk Franklin get to the point that he is in his career today. I remember in choir at Charity Church in the Fort Worth, Texas singing GP are you with me....Oh yea....We got the ...church aint going no where....Stomp...

Those where the good old days.....

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 10-07-2009 at 01:12 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Thats your opinion.I personally do not see a major difference at all.Like what in Dallas makes it LESS Southern or more Western?What are Dallas's "western" roots?The demographics are very similar.The only major difference is the Hispanic population is about 15%-20% more than Atlanta.That is not a great difference but its significant, yet where does it show in the culture or even the history of the City?Just because their are currently more Hispanics living there does today ,does not make it less Southern,because Atlanta has a large Hispanic population as well.
Tejano/Music/Food/People/culture Cowboy/Ranching culture, Geography/Great Plains. The question should be, what doesn't give it Western characteristics? What's so hard to understand here?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Is there absolutely NOTHING in Dallas or the state of Texas that you can say feels Western just as much as it feels Southern? Seriously people? Am I the only one that can see the Western characteristics in this city, and this state?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times
Quote:
Is there absolutely NOTHING in Dallas or the state of Texas that you can say feels Western just as much as it feels Southern? Seriously people? Am I the only one that can see the Western characteristics in this city, and this state?

I see the Western characteristics, I havent been to Houston so I cant speak there but I have been to Marshall,TX and it didnt feel western at all, but Dallas does have that sort of Western feel, its just different thatn hwat most people are used to or are used to seeing when thinking of the West.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I see the Western characteristics, I havent been to Houston so I cant speak there but I have been to Marshall,TX and it didnt feel western at all, but Dallas does have that sort of Western feel, its just different thatn hwat most people are used to or are used to seeing when thinking of the West.
Indeed. I see.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yep..lol

Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Tejano/Music/Food/People/culture Cowboy/Ranching culture, Geography/Great Plains. The question should be, what doesn't give it Western characteristics? What's so hard to understand here?
Tejano Music?Yuck.I hear that here in Atlanta too.You can go to many places in the city and hear a live tejano band play.The Ranching culture,I will give you that,but thats about one of the only major things I see.The foods are just as popular here in Atlanta as they are in Dallas.That did not come from Dallas,it came from Mexico.Houston is MUCH more all these things,but Dallas?I don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City