U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,637,835 times

Advertisements

This analogy makes absolutely no sense. Regional identity is not based purely on mileage; it's also things like shared history, sometimes climate, etc. There are parts of the South (not deep South, but certainly Southern) that are located very close to Baltimore, and Maryland in general has historically been just north of the border of where the South started. The Southwest, on the other hand, is nowhere near San Francisco, and has little or nothing to do with SF. It just doesn't make any sense.

I don't think most people consider Baltimore to be part of the South. It's not even reasonably debatable in the same way that are places like DC, where you could make an argument either way. Near the South, yes, but in the South? No way.

As far as San Francisco goes, San Francisco is neither in the Southwest nor anywhere near the Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,086,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This analogy makes absolutely no sense. Regional identity is not based purely on mileage; it's also things like shared history, sometimes climate, etc. There are parts of the South (not deep South, but certainly Southern) that are located very close to Baltimore, and Maryland in general has historically been just north of the border of where the South started. The Southwest, on the other hand, is nowhere near San Francisco, and has little or nothing to do with SF. It just doesn't make any sense.

I don't think most people consider Baltimore to be part of the South. It's not even reasonably debatable in the same way that are places like DC, where you could make an argument either way. Near the South, yes, but in the South? No way.

As far as San Francisco goes, San Francisco is neither in the Southwest nor anywhere near the Southwest.

it wasnt meant to make sense, Im just saying that they are both pretty far up North and Baltimore is in Maryland which is the South, so could the Southwest extend way up North. Its just a dumb questions and a what if type thing.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,106,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON350 View Post
Baltimore isnt southern, I drove through there and didnt see any cotton fields or hillbillies.
I'm hoping this is a joke.

However doesn't Baltimore actually have a "Billytown"? They used to mention it in the first three seasons of Homicide: Life on the Street anyway and by network TV standards I've heard the show's early seasons are fairly realistic.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,171,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
it wasnt meant to make sense, Im just saying that they are both pretty far up North and Baltimore is in Maryland which is the South, so could the Southwest extend way up North. Its just a dumb questions and a what if type thing.
Baltimore is in Maryland, but Maryland is not in the South (although a few parts on the Shore may have that "feel"), and I agree with you that your question doesn't make any sense.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM

12,391 posts, read 23,625,119 times
SF has nothing to do with the SW neither does any city within about 500 miles.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,171,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The 3rd photo looks a lot like Hampden or even Woodberry. The third one, like i said is Cumberland, but the third one could most definitely be Baltimore
...plus the third picture could probably be Annapolis, but the third one probably is Amsterdam, and of course the 3rd photo is more than likely Cairo. just kidding...thanks for the info

Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 14,978,301 times
Woops, i said "The third one, like i said is Cumberland, but the third one could most definitely be Baltimore" lololol i meant the first one, like i said is cumberland, but the last one could most definently be baltimore

Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,637,835 times
But... Maryland is NOT in the South.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,118,936 times
San Francisco sought to portray itself as being out with its location from its early days, there was a concerted effort to create an East Coast or European feeling.

That said, if you look at suburban and exurban areas of the SF metro, they are in many cases undeniably Southwestern in character.

Even SF itself is schizoid, there are definite Mission Revival and (New) Spanish elements mixed in with the Faux Euro ones.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,118,936 times
BTW - I've got native yucca growing at my place, not more than 25 miles from downtown SF. And on my road are numerous ancient patches of prickly pear. It's not all that arid in reality, probably gets around 30 in per year, but the soil is horrendous, so the biome looks more like the southern coast range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or