Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 AM

542 posts, read 991,416 times

Advertisements

I have never EVER heard of SF being referred to as southwestern. If anything I thought that was where northern CA began. And I may have my history wrong, but I think Baltimore was under martial law during the civil war and never was included in the south. But MD the state does have some confederate heritage. They even have or did have license plates commemorating it, and as my employer who is from the Baltimore burbs puts it, MD was, and apparently still is, a divided state on the whole N vs S argument. But Baltimore the city southern, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Baltimore is definitely not southern at all. As many said, there are parts of Maryland that feel southern, but none of those areas are in Baltimore. Baltimore is very similar to Philadelphia. Baltimore is pure East Coast. San Francisco is definitely not southwestern either. I could maybe see some of the further inland suburbs of San Francisco having some southwestern flavor, but that's a stretch. San Francisco is clearly Northern California. The only other region I could place San Francisco in is the Pacific Northwest, not because of location, but because the city definitely shares some similarities with Vancouver and Seattle.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I wonder why Baltimore is "definitely not Southern at all." I mean I accept it's not and it's description doesn't really fit, but it still strikes me as a tad odd that it's not "at all."

Not being in the Confederacy doesn't seem like enough as Kentucky wasn't precisely in the Confederacy either, but parts of it are certainly agreed to be Southern. Maryland had three centuries of anti-miscegenation laws, that's longer than maybe any state except Virginia. (Both Maryland and Virginia adopted such laws in the colonial era) I believe they also had segregation. Further I recall reading Frederick Douglass describe time as a dock slave, or some such, in Baltimore. Also Baltimore was largely founded by wealthy English aristocrats with indentured servants or slaves, just like many Southern cities. Delaware, which also had slavery and anti-miscegenation until Loving, was at least founded by Swedes and Dutch making it different.

It does look like Baltimore industrialized earlier due to rail and trade. Is that why it's not "at all" Southern? Or did they get a bunch of Northern immigrants at some point?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I wonder why Baltimore is "definitely not Southern at all." I mean I accept it's not and it's description doesn't really fit, but it still strikes me as a tad odd that it's not "at all."

Not being in the Confederacy doesn't seem like enough as Kentucky wasn't precisely in the Confederacy either, but parts of it are certainly agreed to be Southern. Maryland had three centuries of anti-miscegenation laws, that's longer than maybe any state except Virginia. (Both Maryland and Virginia adopted such laws in the colonial era) I believe they also had segregation. Further I recall reading Frederick Douglass describe time as a dock slave, or some such, in Baltimore. Also Baltimore was largely founded by wealthy English aristocrats with indentured servants or slaves, just like many Southern cities. Delaware, which also had slavery and anti-miscegenation until Loving, was at least founded by Swedes and Dutch making it different.

It does look like Baltimore industrialized earlier due to rail and trade. Is that why it's not "at all" Southern? Or did they get a bunch of Northern immigrants at some point?
Well, Cincinnati, Ohio was pro-Confederate at the time of the Civil War, but I definitely wouldn't consider it a "Southern" city by any means. However, calling Baltimore "Southerastern" isn't as extremely implausible as calling SF "Southwestern," but it's like arguing whether Mars is habitable vs whether Jupiter is.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
I'm "culturally Southwestern" (and greatly outnumbered by the non Southwestern carpetbaggers who've taken this place over).

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
Baltimore is Southern. Maryland is a Southern state, as delineated by the Mason-Dixon line, which at that longitude is the Maryland/Pennsylvania border. Maryland often is not considered a Southern State because it sided with the North in the Civil War.
Baltimore is as Southern as any other city in the South, perhaps even more so: the Summer months are so stiflingly hot and humid it's often as if one is walking through droplets of water; there's even a "rainy season". If you ever wish to see people moving slow n'easy, check out Baltimore in August.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 PM

418 posts, read 809,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcneil View Post
Baltimore is Southern. Maryland is a Southern state, as delineated by the Mason-Dixon line, which at that longitude is the Maryland/Pennsylvania border. Maryland often is not considered a Southern State because it sided with the North in the Civil War.
Baltimore is as Southern as any other city in the South, perhaps even more so: the Summer months are so stiflingly hot and humid it's often as if one is walking through droplets of water; there's even a "rainy season". If you ever wish to see people moving slow n'easy, check out Baltimore in August.
There is no rainy season in Baltimore. Baltimore has practically the same weather as nyc, philly n dc. I take it u obviously r not from Baltimore.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
There is no rainy season in Baltimore. Baltimore has practically the same weather as nyc, philly n dc. I take it u obviously r not from Baltimore.
And I take it that you don't know squat about Maryland's History and the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State......

Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
At the end of the end of the day, DC and Baltimore are part of the south. Im not saying something is wrong with that though

Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 PM

418 posts, read 809,111 times
Baltimore is as southern as any other southern city, but the weather description he made was overstated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City