U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 PM

62 posts, read 64,395 times

Advertisements

Baltimore = Northern
D.C. = Southern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 PM

420 posts, read 651,107 times
Dc isn't all that southern to me. The accents that's about it.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 PM

420 posts, read 651,107 times
Honestly, I don't think Baltimore is southern. Every case people for it being southern is old and outdated, but I day its southern so I don't have to keep arguing about it.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 7,887,567 times
first off, i'll say i don't think SF is southwestern. But i do think it's more "southwestern" than any city to the north of it...i mean it's closer to the southwest than say, the midwest, and SF certainly isn't very close to the northwest either (though it has some things in common with northwest cities).

here's how i could see people making the case for SF as somewhat "southwestern":

-was settled by the spanish, used to be part of mexico
-a decent amount of Spanish type architecture
-we have a Mission and Presidio that were built by the spanish
-the city overall is actually pretty sunny much of the year despite stereotypes that say otherwise
-aside from fog and the rainy winters, SF and the Bay Area are dryyyyyy
-the inland parts of the Bay Area can get amazingly hot
-you can grow cacti here
-your typical native California accent is not too different from your typical native accent from the southwest (say Arizona, or Nevada).
-SF has a history of being a wild, lawless, frontier city...basically the epitome of "wild west"
-by some definitions CA is actually a "southwestern state" (i don't necessarily agree with this, but it is what it is)

But SF shares almost nothing of the built environment with southwestern cities, and has different demographics too, with slightly less white and way more Asian people than your typical southwestern city (they are similar though in terms of low black populations, and a sizable Latino population...though southwest cities tend to beat SF on Latino pop.). SF is also less conservative than your typical southwest city, obviously. When looking at a map, SF is in the "southwest" i guess, but most people equate "southwest" with the "desert southwest" (which is defined by a combination of shared geography and culture, i guess...but mostly geography) which most definitely does not include SF.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 7,887,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
BTW - I've got native yucca growing at my place, not more than 25 miles from downtown SF. And on my road are numerous ancient patches of prickly pear. It's not all that arid in reality, probably gets around 30 in per year, but the soil is horrendous, so the biome looks more like the southern coast range.
Hell, my dad has an entire garden full of cactuses IN San Francisco. How's that for a "SF is cold, rainy and foggy all the time" stereotype smasher?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,262,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
At the end of the end of the day, DC and Baltimore are part of the south. Im not saying something is wrong with that though

Bu DC is not as hillbillish as PA or Philly. Plus DC has a faster pace than Philly.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Hell, my dad has an entire garden full of cactuses IN San Francisco. How's that for a "SF is cold, rainy and foggy all the time" stereotype smasher?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
-the city overall is actually pretty sunny much of the year despite stereotypes that say otherwise
I grew up in Forest Hill (near the Sunset District) and bought a condo a few years ago near the ballpark (GIANTS). It is like a whole new world over here. It's sunny and hot around 300 days a year. I actually don't like the weather haha. I miss the more fog and jacket weather days of the other side of the city.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rogue View Post
Baltimore = Northern
D.C. = Southern
Baltimore and Washington DC are east coast culturally and in terms of lifestyle. Just like New York City and Philadelphia.

There's essentially very little difference in lifestyle between central Maryland (the DC-Baltimore area) and most of New Jersey. It's all fast pace east coast, although New Jersey is more so, especially as you get closer to NYC.

Put another way: if you don't like a fast pace of living, then you probably need to stay away from the DC and Baltimore areas.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-23-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,090,418 times
Baltimore is southern? I have family there and they don't sound hickish by the slightest.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM

228 posts, read 327,030 times
Baltimore is in the Northeast and San Franscico is in the West in purely Geographic terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or