Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the real Queen City
Charlotte 40 36.70%
Cincinnati 55 50.46%
They both qualify in their own right 14 12.84%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:42 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times

Advertisements

Have never heard Charlotte referred to as the Queen city so I voted Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 04:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Charlotte is very well-known as the Queen City...it's named for Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg, wife of King George III. Incidentally, Charlotte is in Mecklenburg County.

Do a quick search for "Charlotte Queen City". The first page brought up Queen City Uniforms, Queen City Chess Club, Queen City Corvette Club, Queen City Appliances, Queen City Darts Association, Queen City Tours and Travel, and Queen City Painting. You would probably get something similar for Cincinnati...but I guess the real difference is that Cincy has several nicknames, where Charlotte just has the one - and only one.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I wonder, is Charlotte having only one nickname good or bad? Wait a minute, we are also known as the Hornets Nest. When was Cincinnati established? Charlotte was established 1750 or 60 something. Perhaps Charlotte is the original Queen City but Cincy is better (if one could say that) known QC.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I wonder, is Charlotte having only one nickname good or bad? Wait a minute, we are also known as the Hornets Nest. When was Cincinnati established? Charlotte was established 1750 or 60 something. Perhaps Charlotte is the original Queen City but Cincy is better (if one could say that) known QC.
It is a situation where Charlotte was a "baby" back when Cincy was the Nation's 10 largest city. This is why Cincy has MUCH more of a "city" feel to it than Charlotte. Honestly, Cincy is more like New Orleans than it is like Charlotte.

Also, Cincy has an old underground tunnel from when the city was constructing a subway system. The transit authority ran out of money by the time they finished the third station. Cincy is the only American city I know of that started (and could not finish) rail construction.

My fellow Charlotteans YOU SHOULD REALLY READ THIS LINK!!!
Cincinnati Subway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being that Cincy's rail plans were over 100 years older than Charlotte's, you all can clearly see why I feel Cincy is THE Queen City. Imagine what type of city Cincy would be today if she were able to do the things she attempted. One thing is for sure. Had she succeeded, she would NOT be mentioned in the same sentence with Charlotte. She would be up there with Philly and Boston (had things gone her way).

Cincy is certainly "the Real Queen City" being that she is older and has much to teach Charlotte. I see Cincy as the "older woman" that still looks good, but is no longer growing as she once did. Charlotte is the "young Miss Thang" that thinks nothing can go wrong in her life. Charlotte should listen to her elders. She might just learn something.

What is my point of in saying all of this? Simple. CHARLOTTE, STOP BEING CHEAP, AND UP THE TRANSIT TAX TO A FULL 1%. GIVE UP THOSE PLANS FOR A SLOW STREECAR. AND BUILD LIGHT/HEAVY RAIL THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE CITY. Cincy's history should be a serious wake up call to Charlotte. Cincy's rail plans got derailed thanks to a loooooong infamous recession, political jaw-jacking, and increased construction costs. Doesn't this sound VERY familiar Charlotte folks?

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-10-2009 at 12:23 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Charlotte

Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
CHARLOTTE, STOP BEING CHEAP, AND UP THE TRANSIT TAX TO A FULL 1%. GIVE UP THOSE PLANS FOR A SLOW STREECAR. AND BUILD LIGHT/HEAVY RAIL THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE CITY.
Forget heavy rail; it ain't happening. Hasn't happened in this country since the DC Metrorail project was initiated in the 70's.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Forget heavy rail; it ain't happening. Hasn't happened in this country since the DC Metrorail project was initiated in the 70's.
Atlanta, Miami, and LA have newer metros than DC. Besides, I did say "light/heavy rail" meaning one or the other. It is the streetcars that should NOT happen in Charlotte IMO.

Anyways, we can learn alot from Cincy (if we pay close attention to the story that she tells). Everybody talks about the fall of Detroit. However, Cincy was the "Detroit" that never quite made it off the ground. Charlotte could EASILY become the "Cincy" of the south if we don't plan and develop. We can never be the "Detroit" of the south yet because to do so, we would first have to reach Detroit's level (back in the 60s). Being that we are NOT on that level, we need to take notes from Cincy (the city that never matured past being a metro of 2.5 million, but should have).

Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Charlotte...founded in 1755, incorporated in 1768
Cincinnati..founded in 1788, incorporated in 1802

Charlotte is older than Cincinnati.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Atlanta, Miami, and LA have newer metros than DC. Besides, I did say "light/heavy rail" meaning one or the other.
The feds aren't funding new heavy rail systems, and haven't for some time now; that's the point I was trying to get at. Light rail is the only viable option.
Quote:
It is the streetcars that should NOT happen in Charlotte IMO.
I don't have a problem with streetcars, but I think they should be limited in scope (i.e., Uptown and maybe surrounding neighborhoods).

Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Charlotte...founded in 1755, incorporated in 1768
Cincinnati..founded in 1788, incorporated in 1802

Charlotte is older than Cincinnati.
Charlotte is an older town. Cincy is an older city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't have a problem with streetcars, but I think they should be limited in scope (i.e., Uptown and maybe surrounding neighborhoods).
EXACTLY!!! A ten mile streetcar ride from Rosa Parks to Eastland would EASILY take an hour and a half (if not longer). Light Rail from the Airport to Eastland would be a 50 minute trip tops. The choice is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City