Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:27 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Any reasons?
I lived in Greenville for 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 PM

440 posts, read 776,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I lived in Greenville for 5 years.
You don't like Greenville, or you just prefer another city? I rarely come across a post where someone does not like Greenville SC.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,316 times
Well without reading all the replies let me state that almost anywhere would be better than Greenville, SC. I have been there for the last 18 months or so and finally have found happiness; my church has agreed to move me from the city to someplace less fundamentalist.

While geographically the area around Greenville is quite nice, I can't help but think I have gone back in time to say the 1950's with some of the thoughts and attitudes people have.

Then again if your ideal city is one that would love to be a Christian Republic (KJV only please) then you might be happy.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Its hard to say what I would accept as a substitute for the ocean. Even though I don't really like swimming or hanging out at the beach, I feel a certain amount of comfort knowing I'm not to far inland Besides, a city is probably just like any other city unless your taking NYC I think.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Well without reading all the replies let me state that almost anywhere would be better than Greenville, SC. I have been there for the last 18 months or so and finally have found happiness; my church has agreed to move me from the city to someplace less fundamentalist.

While geographically the area around Greenville is quite nice, I can't help but think I have gone back in time to say the 1950's with some of the thoughts and attitudes people have.

Then again if your ideal city is one that would love to be a Christian Republic (KJV only please) then you might be happy.
Hey, Rev, I remember reading one of your post awhile back. I think your views are contrary to others here and unfortunately I think you may take some heat for this last one.

To be honest, I don't have a clue what you are trying to say.
I have never been to any of these towns and I welcome every negative post, as long as it is truthful.
Could you clarify what your trying to say please.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times
Quote:
You don't like Greenville, or you just prefer another city? I rarely come across a post where someone does not like Greenville SC.
I've lived in several different cities and states, and I've traveled to lots of cities and lots of states, and there isn't one city that is as backward as Greenville SC.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I've lived in several different cities and states, and I've traveled to lots of cities and lots of states, and there isn't one city that is as backward as Greenville SC.
Thats not good to hear!
When you say backwards, how does that effect the average Joe like myself?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Hey, Rev, I remember reading one of your post awhile back. I think your views are contrary to others here and unfortunately I think you may take some heat for this last one.

To be honest, I don't have a clue what you are trying to say.
I have never been to any of these towns and I welcome every negative post, as long as it is truthful.
Could you clarify what your trying to say please.
My views are quite contrary to many of the people on the Greenville forum.

How do I put this. Greenville is home to Bob Jones University, one of the, if not the most conservative universities in the U.S. They have been there a very long time and their thinking permeates through most of the city / politics etc.

If you read the Greenville newspaper online and read the comments you can see how folks think. It can be an eye-opener. (Note a disclosure here I used to live in California and also Connecticut and Minnesota so my views are in comparison to those places).

An example from last week. Sitting have lunch with a colleague and every table around us was talking about church on Sunday; even the wait staff asked people how church was and if they were having a blessed week. (Oh yeah this was NOT Sunday). My colleague and I looked at each other and realized we were the only two not talking church and we are the two who preach.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the churches are Baptist with unordained pastor's and are run by someone who "God gave me the word so I am here". When you try and talk to them about theology or the Bible they always come back with "well the King James Bible says so, there it is true". Anything beyond that is beyond most of them. It has to be there way or no way at all.

Sadly most of the people are the same. If there pastor said it, it's true. If it is in the KJV then it's true. Intellectual discourse goes nowhere.

All too often I hear of people who comment that woman should not work but stay home and raise the children; not a day goes by where I don't see at least 5 confederate flags on vehicles or in people's yards. I

As someone who is progressive in my thinking and believes that all people are equal (male and female, black and white) I am in the minority. At one point my thinking and preaching about equality had a Sheriff's Dep't employee recommend to me that either I carry a concealed gun to church or authorize a congregant to do so because my line of thinking is not popular with most people and will certainly cause me trouble.

We don't even want to explore the issue of homosexuality or whether or not President Obama is a US Citizen or a Muslim (something many in Greenville would believe is true) as I will get shouted down before you can count to 10.

If you want more examples please let me know. Happy to go into more details, I just don't want to weigh down this thread with my personal experiences.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 PM

I just had another thought. An example of the type of control many people in Greenville want about the city, their life, other's lives is found in your comment that my views are negatively received. In the Greenville forum if you post anything negative at all about the place, people jump all over you and gang up on you. The idea of open, rational discussion is lost on many of them.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I just had another thought. An example of the type of control many people in Greenville want about the city, their life, other's lives is found in your comment that my views are negatively received. In the Greenville forum if you post anything negative at all about the place, people jump all over you and gang up on you. The idea of open, rational discussion is lost on many of them.
It seems as though that since you're a career minister, most of your negative experiences have been religious in nature. But I'd say that if a person isn't necessarily all that religious, or runs in a different religious circle, their experiences wouldn't be so negative. For instance, one of my high school friends, a Black woman, has never been particularly or "overly" religious and her social views are more on the liberal side of the spectrum, and she's married to her White husband and she enjoys living in Greenville. One of my college fraternity brothers lives in Greenville with his family, he's active in his church (which is Baptist--his pastor has a doctorate of ministry), and he's in seminary. Now I'm aware of the conservative influence in Greenville; the Upstate is the epicenter of the GOP in South Carolina, no doubt. But for all of most of your experiences to be so negative in nature, it seems as though the circles you were running in or the company you were keeping might have had something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City