Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 03:34 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually its a movie in theaters now based in Austin....
Whip It is the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:09 PM

804 posts, read 2,394,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post

YouTube - SXSW Promotional Video - South by Southwest 2010

YouTube - About SXSW: SXSW Film Festival Venues

This is probably a better link for info on SXSW:

YouTube - SXSW Promotional Video - South by Southwest 2010

I didn't say it was like Hollywood. I just said it has reputation for being a film town. but just to name a few filmed in Austin:

Slacker
Sin City and Sin City 2 (in production)
Grindhouse
Bottlerockets
Dazed and Confused
American Outlaw
Machete (in production)
Kill Bill: Vol 1
all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre's
A Scanner Darkly
Idiocracy
Capote

and the list goes on and on and on....

Wes Anderson, Robert Rodriguez, and Richard Linklater all got there start in Austin. I'm not sure about Wes Anderson, but Robert Rodriguez and Richard Linklater have both moved back to Austin and opened a studios.

I'm not trying to say that Austin is better or even equal than New York or LA's music and film scene. I'm just saying that anyone who is in the entertainment knows that Austin is a great place to go for film scene.
If you say so.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
If you say so.
What you don't believe me? You know, Hollywood does film in other places besides LA and NYC.

http://www.listal.com/list/movies-made-austin-texas

Old 10-10-2009, 05:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,775,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
That is unless you enjoy a city with not much of an urban center, miles and miles of generic cookie-cutter subdivisions and freeways.
The urban center is fine, considering. You think Austin's is larger/more dense, or has cooler temperatures? LOL!
The rest sounds like a lot of suburbs around almost any major metro.

Oh, and here's some of that "cookie-cutter" for you.
Montrose named among 10 great neighborhoods in US - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I almost forgot the hurricanes and oppressive heat and humidity. Go Houston!
The hurricane that comes every 20+ years?
Spare me.
Oh, and right now it's 67 degrees outside.

Sad, how so many people have to bash other places instead of just being open-minded and accepting that they may not know everything.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:18 PM

2,739 posts, read 6,079,551 times
A list of movies and tv series filmed in Austin. Not bad for the capital city, it leads Texas, I think. total 140
Movies filmed in Austin, Texas

San Antonio not to shabby had a total of 118 Movies and TV series filmed in the city. Once called the Hollywood of Texas.
San Antonio Filmography :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com

A well known flim producer is building a 500 acre movie studio in far south San Antonio.
http://www.ksat.com/entertainment/15986357/detail.html (broken link)

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 10-10-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 AM

486 posts, read 1,030,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
The urban center is fine, considering. You think Austin's is larger/more dense, or has cooler temperatures? LOL!
The rest sounds like a lot of suburbs around almost any major metro.

Oh, and here's some of that "cookie-cutter" for you.
Montrose named among 10 great neighborhoods in US - Houston Chronicle

The hurricane that comes every 20+ years?
Spare me.
Oh, and right now it's 67 degrees outside.

Sad, how so many people have to bash other places instead of just being open-minded and accepting that they may not know everything.
Funny you should say that, as I was trying to respond to the NYC bashers!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
A list of movies and tv series filmed in Austin. Not bad for the capital city, it leads Texas, I think. total 140
Movies filmed in Austin, Texas

San Antonio not to shabby had a total of 118 Movies and TV series filmed in the city. Once called the Hollywood of Texas.
San Antonio Filmography :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com

A well known flim producer is building a 500 acre movie studio in far south San Antonio.
Lights, Camera, Action Coming To San Antonio - Entertainment News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/entertainment/15986357/detail.html - broken link)
Wow! congrats to San Antonio. The should give the city some great national publicity.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,835,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yes, which makes it even more surprising that your so completely ignorant of Austin's music, film, and art scene. I'm sure most of those European's you've partied with could tell something about Austin's fame. Even the European hipsters usually consider Austin to have one of the best music scene's in the world.

And there are several celebrities that have come from Austin's film scene, and even still live in Austin. The city has gained the reputation in Hollywood of being a great town for film, and it's becoming not all that uncommon to see high profile celebrities in Austin.

I'm not trying to say that Austin's night life is better than NYC's. Those are two completely different towns so I really don't think you can compare the two. I'm just saying that it's not the hick town you're trying to make it out to be.
lmao, the Europeans I spoke with only knew of NY, LA, and Chicago. Austin might as well be a small town to them.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,243,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lmao, the Europeans I spoke with only knew of NY, LA, and Chicago. Austin might as well be a small town to them.
Since when are Europeans the moral compass for the World?

I wonder how many small cities in Europe the average American can name.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,835,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Since when are Europeans the moral compass for the World?

I wonder how many small cities in Europe the average American can name.
I know, but so many people in Texas thinks the world knows all about their cities, when they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City