Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Ehrm, Houston is one of the top five largest cities in the country.

But perhaps your definition of "huge" and mine are dissimilar.

Great question, Houston by area definition is a huge city, but its spread out, so is it fair to call it a huge city, yes by land area but no so much in terms of that "big city" feel.

Also can you include the metro area, if so that would negate the point, since atlanta has only 500k people within city limits but the metro 5 million.

It can be argued that density and accessibility may make it appear differentially.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 AM

269 posts, read 469,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Is it really necessary to be so rude to Annie?

And sorry, but you have NOT traveled "all over the world."

A honeymoon trip to a touristy area of Greece, along with quick trips to Bermuda and Puerto Rico are hardly considered world wide travel.
Oh I think it's hilarious, and you are right on the money. I would hope people would believe someone who actually lives in Europe, speaks the language, and interacts with people from all over the world everyday in the office - over the person who went to Athens and did a bit of island hopping.

No one is claiming people around the world know everything about Austin (or Texas for that matter). I am also not saying that everyone's opinion is positive about these places. But, to claim that they ONLY know the 3 largest cities in America is preposterous.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
Oh I think it's hilarious, and you are right on the money. I would hope people would believe someone who actually lives in Europe, speaks the language, and interacts with people from all over the world everyday in the office - over the person who went to Athens and did a bit of island hopping.

No one is claiming people around the world know everything about Austin (or Texas for that matter). I am also not saying that everyone's opinion is positive about these places. But, to claim that they ONLY know the 3 largest cities in America is preposterous.

Just try and ignore it.

There are 10 or so cities that are large cities by just about every definition

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-15-2009 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: cut it out

Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
LOL I would do some research first before typing such bullcrap and lies. You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about and sound like a teenager.. Grow up KID. Cleveland has one of the BEST orchestras and 2nd LARGEST Theatre district in the nation. Not to mention world class Museums. And millions of people visit Cleveland each year.

The city has well established Irish, Italian, German, Hungarian, Slovak, Puerto Rican, African American, and Arabic communities. The West Side Market is well known and has over 160 vendors. It also has the Rock N Roll HOF and the Football HOF in Canton, the Metroparks, a world-class Zoo, NASA, University Circle - Nearly 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions are based in the University Circle area... Heck, University Circle gets 2.5 million visitors a year ALONE. Why are people on City Data far more ignorant than anyone I've met in real life?

Here are some links to read up on:

Cleveland rocks - The Sun Chronicle Online - Features
36 Hours - Cleveland - NYTimes.com
Elements of Urbanism: Cleveland | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville

I've never even been to Ohio, and I have heard about how Cleveland is really cool town. I would bet the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and the Football Hall of Fame by themselves would attract a lot of tourists.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
Great question, Houston by area definition is a huge city, but its spread out, so is it fair to call it a huge city, yes by land area but no so much in terms of that "big city" feel.

Also can you include the metro area, if so that would negate the point, since atlanta has only 500k people within city limits but the metro 5 million.

It can be argued that density and accessibility may make it appear differentially.

Houston does not feel like a medium size or small city. It feels very huge and it's pretty fast-paced. The majority of Houston's metro population live within less than 2000 sqm of the city. Its inner loop population is over 500k with less than 100 sq. miles.

This doesn't have a big city feel???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1GP4OcZo7c

Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM

656 posts, read 1,420,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston does not feel like a medium size or small city. It feels very huge and it's pretty fast-paced. The majority of Houston's metro population live within less than 2000 sqm of the city. Its inner loop population is over 500k with less than 100 sq. miles.

This doesn't have a big city feel???

YouTube - houston traffic

No it doesn't, Houston is very spread out compared to other cities especially in the metro area.

To clarify, traffic going to a destination doesn't mean a big city feel. I am not saying its a small or mid-sized town but its not same category as other cities, its different, more laid back.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, how about the whole country of Greece.

I have been to more since July, and will be going to Ireland and Poland during my spring break in April--while I'm in traveling all over Poland and visiting Dublin, i'll ask them what they know about Austin. But for now, it still stands that they only knew of NY, LA, and Chicago.
Doubtful since I've traveled to many areas of Europe, including Greece. I had a conversation with a couple people at a Pub about the Cleveland Browns, LeBron James/Cavs, and Ray Lewis/Baltimore Ravens. Europeans are far more cultured than you'd wish to believe. They know more about American cities then you (based off what I've read from you).

Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
A "spread-out" city can feel just as large as a city that is smaller in area. When you're in Houston, are you really thinking about how many square miles are in the city? NO. When I've been in downtown Houston, it feels just as large and fast-paces as any other city...and come on - you can't tell how spread-out the city is when you're standing in it.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A "spread-out" city can feel just as large as a city that is smaller in area. When you're in Houston, are you really thinking about how many square miles are in the city? NO. When I've been in downtown Houston, it feels just as large and fast-paces as any other city...and come on - you can't tell how spread-out the city is when you're standing in it.
Exactly! Do people really think about that stuff when driving through the sunbelt??? Houston is more laid-back, but to say it doesn't have a big city feel is BS. Where do you see that type of traffic on a daily basis in smaller cities????

What people don't realize is that the majority of the sunbelt cities metro populations live pretty close to the city centers.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly! Do people really think about that stuff when driving through the sunbelt??? Houston is more laid-back, but to say it doesn't have a big city feel is BS. Where do you see that type of traffic on a daily basis in smaller cities????

What people don't realize is that the majority of the sunbelt cities metro populations live pretty close to the city centers.
Well Houston does have the nations third tallest skyline (it's even taller than LA's). I get what they are saying though. The city has a horrible public transportation system (hopefully that will be changing soon with the new LT lines and possible monerail system) and the 610 loop is not nearly as densely populated as Manhattan or downtown Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City