Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is St. Louis closer in stature to?
Memphis 105 66.46%
Chicago 22 13.92%
More in the middle 31 19.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:45 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

St. Louis is often compared to these two cities. Is it closer in stature to Chicago or Memphis?

Culture:
People:
Economy:
Crime:
Layout:
Importance:
Appearance:
Housing:
Activities:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Never understood how or why St. Louis would ever be compared to Chicago.
It's on the upper end of mid-level cities whereas Milwaukee is on the lower end of mid-level cities. A fairly big gap to be sure, so I chose "more in the middle".
Chicago is just a whole other thing.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:21 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
More in the middle.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:26 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
St. Louis is often compared to these two cities.
By whom?? In no way are St. Louis and Chicago remotely comparable except they both have at least some of their suburbs in Illinois. That and the inevitable "upstate versus downstate" rivalry in its various forms are the only reason these two cities ever get mentioned in the same sentence. You might as well compare a cabin cruiser to the Queen Mary.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:48 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
I guess it's right in the middle. Although...

•MSA StL is 6.6m away from MSA Chi, compared to 1.46m away from Memphis...

•UA StL is 6.5m away from Chi, compared to 1.07m from UA Memphis...

•GDP StL is $520b away from Chi, compared to $93b from GDP Memphis...

•neighborhood layout and architecture more closely resembles Memphis than Chicago...

•the Redbirds are the longtime AAA affiliate if the Cardinals...

•StL and Memphis share more similar histories as river cities...

•StL and Memphis share more similar musical lineage...

•look at streetscapes and skyline views of StL abd Memphis. They even look similar (that river backdrop probably has a lot to do with it)...

•StL and Memphis are more demographically similar---->before someone runs in here to shout me down, yes, I know StL is historically more multicultural than Memphis....but Chi is significantly more multicultural than StL...

•(LMAO) Downtown StL is 14 miles closer to Downtown Memphis than it is to Downtown Chicago...

I was being facetious with my initial statement, I can keep going here. I never understood why this board is so willing to downplay StL and Memphis similarities. To be sure, I also think you can do a list like this for StL and Chicago, but the tipping factor is just the size discrepancy makes StL more similar to Memphis. I imagine Chicago just feels like a city of an entirely different magnitude than StL, whereas StL has been said to just feel like a bigger, "northernized" Memphis (I've actually been told this)...

Memphis and St Louis have a lot more in common than this forum has ever given credit...

Old 05-11-2020, 10:57 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Ha Ha! Now this is funny This Answer is Obvious. No Need to even say it

Old 05-11-2020, 11:29 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Never understood how or why St. Louis would ever be compared to Chicago.
It's on the upper end of mid-level cities whereas Milwaukee is on the lower end of mid-level cities. A fairly big gap to be sure, so I chose "more in the middle".
Chicago is just a whole other thing.
Exactly how I feel when people think Chicago is in any way comparable to New York. It’s all relative I guess.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:49 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I guess it's right in the middle. Although...

•MSA StL is 6.6m away from MSA Chi, compared to 1.46m away from Memphis...

•UA StL is 6.5m away from Chi, compared to 1.07m from UA Memphis...

•GDP StL is $520b away from Chi, compared to $93b from GDP Memphis...

•neighborhood layout and architecture more closely resembles Memphis than Chicago...

•the Redbirds are the longtime AAA affiliate if the Cardinals...

•StL and Memphis share more similar histories as river cities...

•StL and Memphis share more similar musical lineage...

•look at streetscapes and skyline views of StL abd Memphis. They even look similar (that river backdrop probably has a lot to do with it)...

•StL and Memphis are more demographically similar---->before someone runs in here to shout me down, yes, I know StL is historically more multicultural than Memphis....but Chi is significantly more multicultural than StL...

•(LMAO) Downtown StL is 14 miles closer to Downtown Memphis than it is to Downtown Chicago...

I was being facetious with my initial statement, I can keep going here. I never understood why this board is so willing to downplay StL and Memphis similarities. To be sure, I also think you can do a list like this for StL and Chicago, but the tipping factor is just the size discrepancy makes StL more similar to Memphis. I imagine Chicago just feels like a city of an entirely different magnitude than StL, whereas StL has been said to just feel like a bigger, "northernized" Memphis (I've actually been told this)...

Memphis and St Louis have a lot more in common than this forum has ever given credit...
I've been to all 3 cities
I don't find St Louis and Memphis to be all that similar really, yes there are Similarities but they're not that similar, In St Louis you have to drive Eastwards to get to the Mississippi River, In Memphis you have to drive Westwards to get to the Mississippi River, other than The River, the cities give off different vibes

St Louis feels ok in parts but depressing in others, and generally feels more laid back, and it seems like Sports are a bigger deal in St Louis than in Memphis, But Memphis seems like a more vibrant Lively City. Both have Run Down parts, But Memphis doesn't have Large Post Apocalyptic Detroit style Urban decay to the Degree you find in St Louis

I guess for the purpose of this thread St Louis feels closer to Memphis or perhaps should I say, more in the middle

Chicago I don't think even belongs in this Conversation. Chicago feels Grand and Stunning and International compared to these two.. I was in Chicago for a summer and I didn't want to leave

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 05-12-2020 at 12:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 01:06 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Definitely Memphis. St. Louis is nowhere near the size and scope of Chicago.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City