Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most isolated large city?
Seattle 84 14.41%
Denver 344 59.01%
Minneapolis 48 8.23%
Kansas City 28 4.80%
Las Vegas 35 6.00%
Other (list below) 44 7.55%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 AM

593 posts, read 1,762,065 times

Advertisements

Tucson is a 5 hr drive from El Paso, and Phoenix is about 7. Plus, White Sands, New Mexico (which is awesome) is right there.

But, yeah, El Paso and Denver get my vote.

Seattle is isolated, but there are there are two 500,000+ cities (Portland and Vancouver) within a few hours, then smaller but relevant cities like Olympia, Bellingham, Spokane, Bend, Eugene, etc ranging from 1-5 hours drive away. Plus much of Western Washington and Oregon is littered with small towns with walkable downtowns, etc.

This is not something you find in Utah, Nevada, or even much of Colorado.

As a region, though, Id agree the PNW is very isolated, but I still think the Mountain West is more isolated. The area around Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and much of Colorado feels VERY isolated from everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Interesting question! I think I will have to go with Denver, Seattle, and Salt lake City.

Vegas isn't really isolated because it has Reno to the north, LA to the west, Phoenix to the south and San diego to the southwest.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Dang, maybe Denver, maybe KC. Maybe Omaha.
Kansas City and Omaha are maybe 150 miles from each other.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
How about...

Anchorage?

Honululu?
Disregard this post... I missed the OP.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Interesting question! I think I will have to go with Denver, Seattle, and Salt lake City.

Vegas isn't really isolated because it has Reno to the north, LA to the west, Phoenix to the south and San diego to the southwest.
I don't know that I would say Vegas is the most isolated, but it definitely does feel isolated to me. It is only 3 hours from the Inland Empire, and not too much further from LA, SD, etc. but I think what makes it feel isolated is that there is not much else in between. Most large metros have lots of suburbs and small towns between them and the next big metro, and Vegas really doesn't. It's hours through boring desert to get anywhere outside of the Vegas metro, and then the next places are small cities like Barstow, CA or Kingman, AZ. LA, SD, or Phoenix are great for a weekend or longer, but they're not feasible for a day trip. Vegas is lacking in surrounding areas that one can visit for just a day, and to me that gives it a really isolated feel.

Denver is isolated from other large metros, but at least it has areas like Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Ft. Collins. I would say Salt Lake City is the most isolated if including mid sized metros- otherwise I think it's a toss up between Denver, El Paso, and Las Vegas, just depending on what criteria you use to define "isolated".

Old 05-28-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
I don't know that I would say Vegas is the most isolated, but it definitely does feel isolated to me. It is only 3 hours from the Inland Empire, and not too much further from LA, SD, etc. but I think what makes it feel isolated is that there is not much else in between. Most large metros have lots of suburbs and small towns between them and the next big metro, and Vegas really doesn't. It's hours through boring desert to get anywhere outside of the Vegas metro, and then the next places are small cities like Barstow, CA or Kingman, AZ. LA, SD, or Phoenix are great for a weekend or longer, but they're not feasible for a day trip. Vegas is lacking in surrounding areas that one can visit for just a day, and to me that gives it a really isolated feel.
Don't forget about Laughlin, but even that little town is pretty far from Vegas. The good thing though is it's not like Denver or Salt Lake or Seattle in the way that there is only one or two ways out. Plus those cities have lots of snow and it closes off the freeways. With vegas the only thing you really have to worry about is heat and wind.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
I live in between Seattle and Vancouver. Seattle and Vancouver are isolated enough, but no even close to the isolation of Denver.
For example in a sports sense, the nearest rivals, to Denver teams, are Real Salt Lake and the Utah Jazz, but that's still over 500 miles away.....

Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 PM

just got a rep comment asking me to put Atlanta as most isolated.....
funny, but Atlanta is 4 hours from Charlotte and just under 5 from Nashville.....
even though both of those towns don't have 2 million people, they are certainly major US cities, so I don't think Atlanta is that isolated.....

Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM

I feel Atlanta could be in the running for this title too.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I feel Atlanta could be in the running for this title too.
Don't understand the point of the last post....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City