U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,793 posts, read 18,917,527 times
Reputation: 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
I can see how someone would think that history is boring.

History as a whole doesn't appeal to me.

Very few cities in the U.S. appeal to me because the majority of them........ have the "it's all the same everywhere vibe".

IMO, NYC, Chicago, D.C., Miami, LA, San Fran and Vegas are really he only truly uinique cities that will make you say wow
.
Yep, nothing unique about New Orleans, Seattle, Boston...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 AM
 
307 posts, read 53,560 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yep, nothing unique about New Orleans, Seattle, Boston...
Seattle is nothing, but a smaller version of San Fran.

I do agree with Boston though...... I should have put that in.

I don't think New Orleans should be in that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,793 posts, read 18,917,527 times
Reputation: 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post

Anyone that thinks Houston is boring is mentally insane.
Just curious...is there some other kind of insane that I'm not aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,793 posts, read 18,917,527 times
Reputation: 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Seattle is nothing, but a smaller version of San Fran.

I do agree with Boston though...... I should have put that in.

I don't think New Orleans should be in that list.
They are similar in that they are hilly waterfront cities on the west coast, but there the similarities end. What is so unique about Seattle to me is the variety of its' neighborhoods. If they blindfolded you and took you to West Seattle (very much a central CA vibe) and then to Madison Park (the feel of a neighborhood in a northeastern city), there is no way you would think that you were in the same town.
New Orleans not unique? IMO it is much more unique than most of the cities that you initially listed. A melange of American, Caribbean and European culture and architecture, but at the same time unlike any of those places. It's uniqueness is what has drawn artists and writers to NOLA for centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:54 AM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,216,583 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think it is safe to say that those who are picking Phoenix just don't like large US metros. There is a reason why Phoenix is soooooo large. I doubt "nothing to do" is the reason behind Phoenix's size.
We have high population turnover, they come and then they leave, because it's boring. I'm just kidding, had to say it. lol

Maybe people think it's boring in Phoenix because they don't make a lot of money to do the things that are exciting. A lot of people move here because of it's cheap housing, then get here and find out it's not so cheap because you make a lot less money and you have 400 or 500 dollar electric bills when you try and cool a cheap house. lol Not a lot of free things for kids to do, no programs, etc. It would be fun if you could afford to shop everyday in all those strip malls, ie, thats why L.A. suburbs are fun, people shop every day, they have $. But, most people just can't so then it's just outdoor activities in the winter, unless you sidewalk ski, skateboard, you can't really do that in the summer-too hot. So, you can hike south mountain, or ride your bike around the strip malls in the winter but, not much else unless you have the $$$$$$. We have great malls, everywhere!

Just a thought, and one that people argue on the Phoenix thread all the time.
A lot of people move here just to move out in a couple of years but since we have a steady flow of people moving in, it evens out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: The State Of California
5,808 posts, read 5,873,397 times
Reputation: 1684
Default Fresno Cheerleader Tulsa Cheerleaders Captain...LOL

I'm not hating Fresno I believe that you know that...it's just
that the city has so much potential that it's irrrrkss me to hear
it being the butt of so many joke..Fresno Is The Arm Pit Of
California , (have you every heard that one).Now I know
that Fresno is the head quarters of California Agri-business
that's having a hard time in this "Great Mini Depression"
out here in California....but Fresno has to break down and
spend some Big Money On Some "Big Projects".......

Oh and by the way didn't you know that the Selland Arena
"out sold" The save Mart Arena.....
Selland Arena Tops Save Mart Center in Ticket Sales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
1,700 posts, read 1,600,180 times
Reputation: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Of course.

Anyone that thinks Houston is boring is mentally insane.

Also, I would like to add that smaller cities can be really boring. I can see that with....... Raleigh, Norfolk, Jacksonville, Sacramento, Providence, etc....... not the big ones though.

Norfolk, Raleigh and Jacksonville is boring indeed but I've heard good stories about Providence. I never been!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 02:42 PM
 
13,318 posts, read 12,990,164 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Seattle is nothing, but a smaller version of San Fran.

I do agree with Boston though...... I should have put that in.

I don't think New Orleans should be in that list.
New Orleans is about as unique as NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
 
307 posts, read 53,560 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
New Orleans is about as unique as NYC.
I am on the floor right now laughing.

Are you a comedian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,424,637 times
Reputation: 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Just curious...is there some other kind of insane that I'm not aware of?
Physically insane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top