U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2010, 06:03 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,835,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Jacksonville, Any city North Of Charlotte except Chicago, Boston, Philly, and Pittsburgh. St. Louis and Kansas City seem boring as hell.
You pretty much just lost all credibility by not including NYC or DC in that short list....but if having Disney World is the benchmark..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 AM

10,481 posts, read 14,361,310 times
Unfortunately, I would have to say my hometown of Phoenix, Arizona. I really found out how boring it was after moving to Vegas.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 18,951,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Coming from Atlanta, you don't have much credibility on what is exciting or what is boring. While you spend your friday night dining in some strip mall in Dunwoody, I'm having a great dinner in the East Village or up in mid-town Manhattan. Often at 11 PM, when Atlanta strip malls are long closed for the evening.
Yes, I'd much rather dine in some NJ township restaurant that makes me walk two blocks to the liquor store in order to purchase my wine. Progressive!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,851,775 times
Quote:
Coming from Atlanta, you don't have much credibility on what is exciting or what is boring. While you spend your friday night dining in some strip mall in Dunwoody, I'm having a great dinner in the East Village or up in mid-town Manhattan. Often at 11 PM, when Atlanta strip malls are long closed for the evening.
Gee that weird why donít you go to downtown, midtown or buckhead in Atlanta, You do realize Dunwoody is a suburb right? ) your trying too hard just sad.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 AM

10,158 posts, read 10,519,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Gee that weird why don’t you go to downtown, midtown or buckhead in Atlanta, You do realize Dunwoody is a suburb right? ) your trying too hard just sad.
Atlanta is far from the most borning large city in the US. I always have fun when Im there.

If we are talking about cultural (and not outdoor) activities, my opinion is Phoenix. I always enjoy Phoenix when I want to go hiking or dirt biking, but for a city its size, I feel like it should offer more city-like activities. It isnt boring, but its more boring than it should be considering its size.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,416,037 times
There was nothing going on when I was in midtown Atlanta on a Saturday night. We went out to eat and it was dead quiet. I thought it would be more hopping, but it wasn't. This was late March when I was about to go drive down to Florida for spring training.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,944,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, I'd much rather dine in some NJ township restaurant that makes me walk two blocks to the liquor store in order to purchase my wine. Progressive!
Then don't choose one of the rare BYOB restaurants, go to one with a full bar. BYOB restaurants exist in Manhattan, too - it's hardly a NJ thing, and they are rare in NJ and Manhattan.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-08-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: not necessary

Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,944,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Gee that weird why don’t you go to downtown, midtown or buckhead in Atlanta, You do realize Dunwoody is a suburb right? ) your trying too hard just sad.
Because Midtown and downtown are boring and more than half closed at night, other than a handful of bars and restaurants, not to mention crime-ridden. Buckhead is basically a suburb; I know it's "in" the city, but it's suburban and sucks. It's like going to Downtown Disney, all fabricated and fake, it seems to scream "Hey look at our goin-out-fer-nightlahf area that we done built, we'uns is a big city too ya'll!!!" In other words, it's hardly a step up from going to Houston's in Dunwoody.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 18,951,623 times
Quote:
Then don't choose one of the rare BYOB restaurants, go to one with a full bar instead of being a cheapskate. BYOB restaurants exist in Manhattan, too - it's hardly a NJ thing, and they are rare in NJ and Manhattan.

Or better yet, why not go a night without drinking, like we do all the time up north? Your liver will thank you for the few hours off. Have some soda, or spring water, or tea or coffee. You might feel like you need the alcohol, but trust me, you don't.
"Rare"? Most of those Boss Tweed towns hand out two or three serving licenses at most, probably to the highest bidders.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-08-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: that part of his post was removed

Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,840,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I hope everyone realizes that boring is subjective, and unless you have enough credibility to establish an area as boring, be prepared to have one of that area's residents (or former/future resident) defend the place.

Just as they say one man's rock is another man's mountain, I guess you can say one man's city is another man's suburb..

Based on experience, many places are boring one does not know too many people in the area if they do, they probably don't share the same sense of "fun." Honestly, NYC can be boring if you don't know where to go, believe it or not. Of course, this goes for major cities...suburbs are as boring as they come, most of the time.

I'd have to say Phoenix was pretty boring. Yes, it did offer good food, museums, etc., but I'm not really a museum guy. Moreso, it just seemed like a big suburb to me. Downtown wasn't really bustling (I guess Chicago spoiled me), public transportation didn't really spread far into the region, and a car was just about as necessary as a bottle of water. I went during July/August, probably the hottest time in the Phoenix area, and I spent more time inside than outside. Even during the night I felt like someone was blowing a hair dryer in my face... The malls were nice though, and the girls looked amazing. Other than that, Phoenix didn't really appeal to me. I'm sure it does to others though, as it was once one of the fastest growing areas in the country, until the economy tanked. As it picks up, we'll see if Phoenix holds its appeal..
You pretty much summed up your visit with your own statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City