Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Atlanta. Not much going on there.
I concur. I went out in Atlanta and it felt like I was in Birmingham. Being that its my opinion that Birmingham is the westernmost suburb of Atlanta, it makes sense. Same culture, same demographic, etc. It was hard to believe I was in a metro of 5+ million that is supposedly one of the top in the US. Plus, the 'city' is actually quite small and most of the large metro area is very much like Phoenix...endless quaint suburban subdivisions with corner strip malls.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
You know the kind, where there is so little going on or reason to be there you actually have to LEAVE the city to do anything fun. What is the most boring, little reason-to-be-there city in the U.S.?
By the OP's definition, a city like Charlotte has almost every attraction within its city limits. Even 40% of our theme park's land is in Charlotte's city limits (the other 60% is in Fort Mill, South Carolina). I could EASILY say that ANY city in America that doesn't have a theme park within their city limits is "boring". Is that fair to say though? I don't think it is. Honestly, I think most folks that call cities like Charlotte "boring" only does so because they have NO CLUE what can be done in Charlotte.

Here are a few of the things that can be done within Charlotte's city limits.

YouTube - Bobcats game night

YouTube - urban charlotte

YouTube - Carolina Cobra Front Seat on-ride POV Carowinds Widescreen HD

YouTube - Top Gun roller coaster ride at Carowinds

YouTube - US National Whitewater Center

Again, I don't have to leave Charlotte's city limits to do ANY of these things. Compare this to other cities (that have many of their attractions outside of the primary city's boundary) and Charlotte is NOT boring at all IMO. And yes, I am WELL traveled. Very few cities have all of their major attractions within their city limits. Charlotte is rare when it comes to this category.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-12-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Indianapolis, its nickname is "Naptown"! Right in the middle of Indiana. Why was Indiana made a state again?
Never been to Indianapolis, but I have been to Austin, and to me it seemed like nothing more than a large Little Rock, Arkansas. Plus, all the development is centered around one freeway that wasn't designed to handle the traffic growth so it takes forever to get anywhere.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Atlanta. Not much going on there.
I'm confused when people say Atlanta and San Diego. If you go to these cities and feel as if they're boring, then you're not looking for anything to do. I personally believe people just want to see say these cities are boring for whatever reason because it just doesn't make sense.

It's so much to do in both cities and more than many overrated cities on this site...

Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I'm confused when people say Atlanta and San Diego. If you go to these cities and feel as if they're boring, then you're not looking for anything to do. I personally believe people just want to see say these cities are boring for whatever reason because it just doesn't make sense.

It's so much to do in both cities and more than many overrated cities on this site...
Apparently there's much more to do in Trollville.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Apparently there's much more to do in Trollville.
Good one.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Never been to Indianapolis, but I have been to Austin, and to me it seemed like nothing more than a large Little Rock, Arkansas. Plus, all the development is centered around one freeway that wasn't designed to handle the traffic growth so it takes forever to get anywhere.
On my first trip to Austin last year I caught a glimpse of the Texas Capitol, visited the famous Sixth Street, and then went to Lake Travis. It was hard to find a place to stay with views overlooking the lake like the private houses. (It may be closed off in this way to ward off tourism.) So I drove my family down I-35 to an old favorite--downtown San Antonio's Riverwalk. While there I visited Six Flags over Texas and Natural Bridge Caverns. S.A. is much better IMO!! After spending this weekend in S.A. again, those hills in the North and NorthWest of S.A. are very beautiful and the city is built to be a big city such as the freeway system.

(The State of Texas neglects the highway system in Austin to choke off growth.) Waco can learn from Austin's mistake by making SH 6 a freeway.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
On my first trip to Austin last year I caught a glimpse of the Texas Capitol, visited the famous Sixth Street, and then went to Lake Travis. It was hard to find a place to stay with views overlooking the lake like the private houses. (It may be closed off in this way to ward off tourism.) So I drove my family down I-35 to an old favorite--downtown San Antonio's Riverwalk. While there I visited Six Flags over Texas and Natural Bridge Caverns. S.A. is much better IMO!! After spending this weekend in S.A. again, those hills in the North and NorthWest of S.A. are very beautiful and the city is built to be a big city such as the freeway system.

(The State of Texas neglects the highway system in Austin to choke off growth.) Waco can learn from Austin's mistake by making SH 6 a freeway.
I agree. S.A. is a real city, Austin is just a college town that has found itself larger than it was ever meant to be.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
By the OP's definition, a city like Charlotte has almost every attraction within its city limits. Even 40% of our theme park's land is in Charlotte's city limits (the other 60% is in Fort Mill, South Carolina). I could EASILY say that ANY city in America that doesn't have a theme park within their city limits is "boring". Is that fair to say though? I don't think it is. Honestly, I think most folks that call cities like Charlotte "boring" only does so because they have NO CLUE what can be done in Charlotte.

Here are a few of the things that can be done within Charlotte's city limits.

YouTube - Bobcats game night

YouTube - urban charlotte

YouTube - Carolina Cobra Front Seat on-ride POV Carowinds Widescreen HD

YouTube - Top Gun roller coaster ride at Carowinds

YouTube - US National Whitewater Center

Again, I don't have to leave Charlotte's city limits to do ANY of these things. Compare this to other cities (that have many of their attractions outside of the primary city's boundary) and Charlotte is NOT boring at all IMO. And yes, I am WELL traveled. Very few cities have all of their major attractions within their city limits. Charlotte is rare when it comes to this category.
While I agree with your intentions in saying that these activities account for things to do in Charlotte, they are still pretty much things you can find in any mid-sized metro area in the USA. The way you make it sound is that Charlotte is unique in that it offers all these things when in fact its not. In fact Charlotte has very little that is unique to it. That said, unlike a lot of members of this forum I don't equate 'unique things to do' with 'things to do' in general.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
While I agree with your intentions in saying that these activities account for things to do in Charlotte, they are still pretty much things you can find in any mid-sized metro area in the USA. The way you make it sound is that Charlotte is unique in that it offers all these things when in fact its not. In fact Charlotte has very little that is unique to it. That said, unlike a lot of members of this forum I don't equate 'unique things to do' with 'things to do' in general.
You can find rail transit, a theme park, and the U.S. National Whitewater Center in any mid-sized metro area in the U.S.? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City