Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times

Advertisements

There is stuff to do here, obviously, since there are 5 million+ people here, but not nearly enough for a city of it's size... I say ATLANTA.
A close second would be Buffalo. ...Can we still consider Buffalo a large city?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 AM

965 posts, read 1,874,364 times
Dallas IS boring. You can only go shopping and eating out so many times. The closest beach is Galveston, where I wouldn't send my worst enemy to (but the town itself is lovely). No mountains nearby and it's usually too hot to do any outdoorsy activities. The club scene is tired. It's nice to see that they're finally bringing museums and culture to the city with the Arts District. It's sad that the 8th largest city in the country didn't have the quality of museums that nearby Ft. Worth has.

At least the cost of living is cheap and there is a busy airport, so you can save a lot of money and fly to more interesting, exciting destinations.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:16 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Dallas IS boring. You can only go shopping and eating out so many times. The closest beach is Galveston, where I wouldn't send my worst enemy to (but the town itself is lovely). No mountains nearby and it's usually too hot to do any outdoorsy activities. The club scene is tired. It's nice to see that they're finally bringing museums and culture to the city with the Arts District. It's sad that the 8th largest city in the country didn't have the quality of museums that nearby Ft. Worth has.

At least the cost of living is cheap and there is a busy airport, so you can save a lot of money and fly to more interesting, exciting destinations.
You just listed things to do. I think everything that you just said, hurt the point you were trying to get across, more then it helped.The average person is fine with all that stuff, SOME people just prefer more then others. What you just described is basically EVERY city(as crazy as it may sound).

Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,562,007 times
Quote:

I don't think Dallas is that close to any beach unless you were joking.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I don't think Dallas is that close to any beach unless you were joking.
That's exactly my point. Dallas isn't that close to the ocean, and the nearest beach within driving distance is Galveston, and that is a good 5-6 hours away.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You just listed things to do. I think everything that you just said, hurt the point you were trying to get across, more then it helped.The average person is fine with all that stuff, SOME people just prefer more then others. What you just described is basically EVERY city(as crazy as it may sound).
So you're confirming my point that Dallas is average and offers very little in terms of recreation and culture for such a large metropolitan area. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,966 times
Quote:

Koodos to Dallas for the additions to the art District. They're just getting started BTW. By 2015, they're going to have one of the best art districts in the country.

I think most people, including me, where thinking of the whole city instead of just Dallas. I agree Fort Worth is much more appealing and unique than Dallas for the moment. Although I don't necessarily agree that Dallas is really boring, I see your point. Dallas doesn't have a beaches, mountains, is pretty brown during the winter, and is relatively flat for the most part. Considering the size of the city, they really need use some more creativity to make its "interestingness" appropriate for its size because North Texas geography and topography isn't going to help. I've always thought Dallas should try and build a tourist industry around its lakes. They have some beautiful lake areas that seem to have a lot of potential on many different levels.

But things are changing in the DFW very quickly. A ton of great projects are in the work and the area is growing like crazy. It really is turning one of the coolest metros in the country.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
So you're confirming my point that Dallas is average and offers very little in terms of recreation and culture for such a large metropolitan area. Thanks!
Youre dead wrong about the club scene. The clubs here are some of the best Ive ever been to. Not to mention they have clubbing districts for just about every taste.

Outdoors wise, DFW doest offer as much as I wish it did.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Koodos to Dallas for the additions to the art District. They're just getting started BTW. By 2015, they're going to have one of the best art districts in the country.

I think most people, including me, where thinking of the whole city instead of just Dallas. I agree Fort Worth is much more appealing and unique than Dallas for the moment. Although I don't necessarily agree that Dallas is really boring, I see your point. Dallas doesn't have a beaches, mountains, is pretty brown during the winter, and is relatively flat for the most part. Considering the size of the city, they really need use some more creativity to make its "interestingness" appropriate for its size because North Texas geography and topography isn't going to help. I've always thought Dallas should try and build a tourist industry around its lakes. They have some beautiful lake areas that seem to have a lot of potential on many different levels.

But things are changing in the DFW very quickly. A ton of great projects are in the work and the area is growing like crazy. It really is turning one of the coolest metros in the country.
People fail to realize that DFW is changing faster than just about any other metro area in the US. Atlanta is the only other one I would put in the same boat, but now that DFW is growing faster, its also changing faster. Dallas isnt the same city it was when I used to come here 10 years ago. Its far different. Niether is Fort Worth.

The nice thing is that DFW is changing for the better. Its getting more culutre, more international, and more progressive by the truckload.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
People fail to realize that DFW is changing faster than just about any other metro area in the US. Atlanta is the only other one I would put in the same boat, but now that DFW is growing faster, its also changing faster. Dallas isnt the same city it was when I used to come here 10 years ago. Its far different. Niether is Fort Worth.

The nice thing is that DFW is changing for the better. Its getting more culutre, more international, and more progressive by the truckload.
I think you could put Houston up there too. Really Houston is changing just as much as Dallas. It's strange how the two metros play off each other. Houston builds an internationally renowned museum and theater district so Dallas has to do the same. Dallas builds a huge light rail system and spends a great deal of focus on creating a quality transportation system, so Houston does as well. DFW Airport evolves into one of the busiest airports in the world, so Houston decides to almost double the size of IAH (or at least it supposed double in size with in the next ten years). Hell, while Dallas and Fort Worth a have a development and park projects along the Trinity River in the works, Houston has something very similar planned for the Buffalo Bayou. I think one of the main aspects that drive the growth of Houston and Dallas is the fact that they are always trying to "one-up" each other to become the dominate and most recognizable city in Texas. IMO this competitiveness is what has made the cities what they are today.

Anyway, to get back on topic, if Houston or Dallas are the most boring big cities in the country (which they're not), it wont be that way for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City