U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 PM
 
257 posts, read 327,674 times
Reputation: 114

Advertisements

You know the kind, where there is so little going on or reason to be there you actually have to LEAVE the city to do anything fun. What is the most boring, little reason-to-be-there city in the U.S.?

Last edited by Bo; 10-11-2009 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: This is a competitive comparison, not a research comparison, so it was moved from General US.

 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,364,090 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
You know the kind, where there is so little going on or reason to be there you actually have to LEAVE the city to do anything fun. What is the most boring, little reason-to-be-there city in the U.S.?
I don't know, LZKay1. I've been to most of what I consider to be the major cities, and I haven't found any to be boring.

Maybe it's just me.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
21 posts, read 86,001 times
Reputation: 43
Phoenix, Arizona and any city in Central Valley, California (Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto) are easily the most boring cities in the Western Hemisphere. You could throw Salt Lake City in there as well.

What makes Phoenix so boring is that it is considered a large city, but really feels more like a giant suburban area. It's a city of neverending strip malls that all look the same, and it completely lacks in walkable neighborhoods. The music scene here (for me) completely sucks. Most of my favorite bands skip this area. There really is nothing to do here.

I lived in Fresno and I would just say it's a smaller version of Phoenix.

I have also lived in Missoula and Portland in the PacNW, and even though Missoula is a small town, it has a lot more going on than Fresno or Phoenix. Portland is unbeatable in this crowd, and easily my favorite city along with Seattle and San Francisco.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:37 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,515,606 times
Reputation: 2795
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I don't know, LZKay1. I've been to most of what I consider to be the major cities, and I haven't found any to be boring.

Maybe it's just me.
Same here...I've visited almost ever major city in the U.S., and I've never been bored in any of them. Living there is a little different I'm sure, but I'm a firm believer that there is no reason to be bored in ANY big city. There's always something fun to do no matter where you are.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,364,090 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphx View Post
Phoenix, Arizona and any city in Central Valley, California (Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto) are easily the most boring cities in the Western Hemisphere. You could throw Salt Lake City in there as well.

What makes Phoenix so boring is that it is considered a large city, but really feels more like a giant suburban area. It's a city of neverending strip malls that all look the same, and it completely lacks in walkable neighborhoods. The music scene here (for me) completely sucks. Most of my favorite bands skip this area. There really is nothing to do here.

I lived in Fresno and I would just say it's a smaller version of Phoenix.

I have also lived in Missoula and Portland in the PacNW, and even though Missoula is a small town, it has a lot more going on than Fresno or Phoenix. Portland is unbeatable in this crowd, and easily my favorite city along with Seattle and San Francisco.
In defense of Phoenix, I've been there on vacations and business trips, but I have never been bored. I really enjoy my visits to The Valley.

Any metro of that size is going to have something for everyone, if they know where to look.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,364,090 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
SAme here...I've visited almost ever major city in the U.S., and I've never been bored in any of them. Living there is a little different I'm sure, but I'm a firm believer that there is no reason to be bored in ANY big city. There's always something fun to do no matter where you are.
+1
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
21 posts, read 86,001 times
Reputation: 43
And I have lived here for two years... unless you're older (50+), there's really not a lot to do.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Dayton, OH/Portland, OR
398 posts, read 1,175,640 times
Reputation: 208
I think boring is in the eye of the beholder. Different folks enjoy doing different things - and some cities have more of those particular things than others. I personally LOVE Salt Lake City, but I do know many folks who would die of boredom there. And I do know plenty of people who live for strip-mall suburbia ... BW3, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Chili's, bring it on!!! To each their own. I am in Dayton, OH right now and it bores me to tears. None of the stuff I really enjoy doing is able to be done here, then again most of my favorite activities revolve around independent cafes/pubs, and mountains/forests so I guess, yah, what did I expect eh? LOL
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,515,606 times
Reputation: 2795
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
I think boring is in the eye of the beholder. Different folks enjoy doing different things - and some cities have more of those particular things than others. I personally LOVE Salt Lake City, but I do know many folks who would die of boredom there. And I do know plenty of people who live for strip-mall suburbia ... BW3, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Chili's, bring it on!!! To each their own. I am in Dayton, OH right now and it bores me to tears. None of the stuff I really enjoy doing is able to be done here, then again most of my favorite activities revolve around independent cafes/pubs, and mountains/forests so I guess, yah, what did I expect eh? LOL
...and if you really get down to it, you have both Cincinnati and Columbus about an hour or less away. I have a good friend who was transferred to Dayton and he complained of boredom a lot - but he did spend a good bit of time in the other Ohio cities while he was living there.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Dayton, OH/Portland, OR
398 posts, read 1,175,640 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
...and if you really get down to it, you have both Cincinnati and Columbus about an hour or less away. I have a good friend who was transferred to Dayton and he complained of boredom a lot - but he did spend a good bit of time in the other Ohio cities while he was living there.
Uh, yah, didn't see any mountains or forests in Cinci or Columbus either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top