U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:19 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,935,304 times

Advertisements

I think almost every city offers more to people if they are shown around by friends/family who live in the city and can show them more hidden gems the city has that are off the beaten path.

On the other hand, I think you'll agree with me that some cities need to be experienced with locals to be fully appreciated. What cities are they?

I nominate Los Angeles. I think it's a city that has so much more to offer than the beach, Disneyland, and Star Maps. It's probably the most amazing city in the country if you have a local show you around and take you to less touristy places.

What other cities are like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,633,069 times
Tell me about it. Los Angeles was strange when I visited, but it is really great if you knew your way around.

Honestly, most cities are like this for me. I'm not interested in the amusement parks(even though some are fun) and how many luxury hotels you have. I'm more about what I can learn and take back to my home. I'm more into the natural setting and the things that you can only experience there.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 PM

10,630 posts, read 21,504,188 times
I echo the LA suggestion. I think it's the most misunderstood city in the country, maybe because so many people think they know all about it because of what they see on TV or read about in the paper. Unlike many big cities, the main tourist attracts also are often highly segregated from regular life. (people go to Universal Studios, for example, while in NYC they go to Central Park or walk around Greenwich Village). I can't think of any other American cities that have that same level of combined preconceived notions with the ability to visit and do only things that reinforce that impression coupled with the fact that so many visitors don't come to LA because they want an authentic city experience. They want the glitz and the artificial CA dream, and that's what the tour guides and the tourist structure is geared towards providing. You can experience the "real" LA without a local to show you around, but it's not as immediately easy as it is in many cities.

I've never been to Orlando, but maybe it has similar issues? I'm assuming many people think Orlando=theme parks, and forget about the rest of the city.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 10-11-2009 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,633,069 times
Yeah, Orlando you think Disney World, San Antonio you think the Alamo and the River Walk, a couple of theme parks, Las Vegas and the strip, and the list goes on. All these cities(every city actually) people think so one sided about, you know? It's like do you honestly think there are cities with absolutely no "real people" and real things to do? It's the media that makes places seem from boring to glitzy and make us chose to think some places don't have much to offer.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 PM

15,989 posts, read 28,088,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I think almost every city offers more to people if they are shown around by friends/family who live in the city and can show them more hidden gems the city has that are off the beaten path.

On the other hand, I think you'll agree with me that some cities need to be experienced with locals to be fully appreciated. What cities are they?

I nominate Los Angeles. I think it's a city that has so much more to offer than the beach, Disneyland, and Star Maps. It's probably the most amazing city in the country if you have a local show you around and take you to less touristy places.

What other cities are like this?
Houston. Houston is not a city to really vacation to, especially if your not familiar with the city or have someone to show you around.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 PM

2,845 posts, read 4,147,860 times
I could have a good time in Baltimore, though honestly no better or worse a time than in any town with restaurants and clubs. But I'd love to have John Waters give me a tour. That's the way it is everywhere. I'm not a heavy drinker, but maybe that's why I enjoy hanging out talking in bars!

The fact is, my needs are really simple these days, so everywhere I have the pleasure and opportunity to tour or live I look for what fulfills my simple requirements for getting on. A tavern, a neighborhood bistro, a newsstand or bookstore, a grocery store or bodega. In Queens, I'm not kidding that I felt it could just as well have been in SoCal.

Years ago, OTOH, Boulder, CO... I could say a few things about Boulder, CO, if I wanted to be negative. But because I never ventured outside my little zone, the first two years living there were a cold drain of time. Then I changed jobs. And found my people--a funny, smart, creative, alive bunch that I was only with for 6 short months. Where had they been? That 6 months constitutes my real Boulder experience that I haven't forgotten all these decades passed. So I never judge rashly anymore, either to the positive or the negative. Everyone has a place anywhere, and by luck or pluck you find it or let yourself wither, which is more chilling and draining.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:45 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,525,334 times
Baltimore - not a city you want to see on your own...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,387,863 times
Any big city in Texas with the exception of maybe San Antonio.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,967,876 times
Orlando is definitely one of them since a lot of people do not end up getting to see the areas of Orlando that are not touristy or sprawling new development. There are some charming and hip neighborhoods in the downtown area.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Status: "Wherever I am is the place to be" (set 10 hours ago)

17,333 posts, read 29,142,543 times
Atlanta is a very difficult city for newcomers to negotiate. Outside of Downtown and Midtown, the road map looks like a plate of spaghetti. It definitely needs to be seen with someone that knows their way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City