U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 5,000,697 times
Reputation: 2981
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You have to consider a couple of things though. Population density isn't going to necessarily be consistent across zip codes. There will be pockets with more/less density within each zip code.

As far as the layout of the City, you have to remember that Buckhead covers almost a third of the land area of the City. Think of the multiple square miles that are taken up by mansions on gigantic lots, many of which as you know qualify as huge estates. I have not seen any other American city that has such broad swaths of this type of set-up within the City Limits. It's not normal, and really dilutes the population per square mile stats.

Just something to consider.
This is true john, however the Quail Hollow, South Park, Myers Park, Dilworth, and Elizabeth neighborhoods of Charlotte has the same large $5 million plus homes (all of this within the city limits of Charlotte). Honestly, I can think of quite a few southern towns with a similar set up as what you have described in Atlanta.

Also, you must understand that while there are certainly pockets of 10,000 ppsm density in Atlanta, there is not a contiguous 40 sq/mi bubble of it. That was the only point I was trying to make. Someone presented false info about Atlanta's population density and I caught. Trust me, I would have done the same thing if someone tried to claim that Charlotte has a 40 sq/mi bubble of 5,000 ppsm. NO Charlotte DOES NOT!!! It is more like a 40 sq/mi bubble of 3,500 to 4,000 ppsm, not 5,000.

 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 6,849,627 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is true john, however the Quail Hollow, South Park, Myers Park, Dilworth, and Elizabeth neighborhoods of Charlotte has the same large $5 million plus homes (all of this within the city limits of Charlotte). Honestly, I can think of quite a few southern towns with a similar set up as what you have described in Atlanta.

Also, you must understand that while there are certainly pockets of 10,000 ppsm density in Atlanta, there is not a contiguous 40 sq/mi bubble of it. That was the only point I was trying to make. Someone presented false info about Atlanta's population density and I caught. Trust me, I would have done the same thing if someone tried to claim that Charlotte has a 40 sq/mi bubble of 5,000 ppsm. NO Charlotte DOES NOT!!! It is more like a 40 sq/mi bubble of 4,000 ppsm, not 5,000.
The neighborhoods you mention in Charlotte are all very beautiful, but they really aren't same as Buckhead. More closer in scale to Ansely Park, Morningside, etc. I have been to every one of them, but the lot sizes are not as large, and I honestly didn't see anything that would qualify as a huge multi-acre estate. These estates scattered around Buckhead are usually found in the suburbs of most places - not in the Central City.

You do know that before Buckhead was annexed in the 50's, it really got its start as a "summer escape" for the wealthy folks that lived closer to town? There are some sections that to this day still feel almost semi-rural, with horse paddocks, etc.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 5,000,697 times
Reputation: 2981
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I honestly didn't see anything that would qualify as a huge multi-acre estate.
Well, I don't have any pics to show. However, there are a few of these "huge multi-acre estates" that were featured in movies like 'Shallow Hal' and 'Juwanna Mann'. Trust me, SouthPark (and a few others) have the "huge multi-acre estates" you are describing.

And no, Charlotte does not have a Buckhead (just wanted to point that out). We do have the large estates though.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 6,849,627 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well, I don't have any pics to show. However, there are a few of these "huge multi-acre estates" that were featured in movies like 'Shallow Hal' and 'Juwanna Mann'. Trust me, SouthPark (and a few others) have the "huge multi-acre estates" you are describing.

And no, Charlotte does not have a Buckhead (just wanted to point that out). We do have the large estates though.
I know what you're saying. It's just a difference in development.

You should wander around the far NW sections of Buckhead sometime when you are in town. Some of the places are former hunting lodges, with multiple acres and 300 year old native trees. It's almost surreal.......
 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 5,000,697 times
Reputation: 2981
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I know what you're saying. It's just a difference in development.

You should wander around the far NW sections of Buckhead sometime when you are in town. Some of the places are former hunting lodges, with multiple acres and 300 year old native trees. It's almost surreal.......
Yes!!! It is said that a "Buck's Head" hanging outside the door of one of those old stores is how "BuckHead" got its name.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 6,849,627 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yes!!! It is said that a "Buck's Head" hanging outside the door of one of those old stores is how "BuckHead" got its name.
An actual true urban myth. The bucks head was hung outside Irby's Tavern, roughly where the Peachtree/Roswell split is at West Paces Ferry.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,109,655 times
Reputation: 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yes!!! It is said that a "Buck's Head" hanging outside the door of one of those old stores is how "BuckHead" got its name.
Well, that was long before the estates were built along E. Paces Ferry.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
 
583 posts, read 658,722 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I thought you were in Kennesaw...you must have had a lot of time on your hands to become a real estate expert on the city of Atlanta while you were here.

("Sounds like you're describing...")
Woops... you're! I made an error =) cute of you to point out though, thanks.

I was in Kennesaw 2 years ago for a project and now I'm back expect in Midtown this time. Damn work brought me back here!
 
Old 10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island and Atlanta, GA
12,567 posts, read 18,231,965 times
Reputation: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, that was long before the estates were built along E. Paces Ferry.
True; one has nothing to do with the other. Buckhead was, in its' early days, the location of the wealthy Atlantans' 'country houses'...the same role that Lake Forest served for Chicago, Atherton for San Francisco, and the Hudson Valley for NYC.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,436 posts, read 6,337,083 times
Reputation: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You might want to look at a zip-code population website. I am sorry to tell you, but central Atlanta is not that dense (actually, not even close). Central Atlanta averages about 5,000 to 6,000 people per sq/mi.

Zip code 30308 is the most dense zip I could find for Atlanta; it has 10,000 people per sq/mi. However, this zip is VERY tiny (1.6 sq/mi). Many of the larger zips in central Atlanta don't come close to having the 10,000 you stated. As a result, there is NO WAY Atlanta has a 40 sq/mi "bubble" of 400,000 people. That would mean the rest of Atlanta (92 sq/mi) has less than 200,000 people. No city in America has such a layout.

Here is a link to a zip code site I often use. Feel free to check the numbers for yourself.
ZIP Code Finder
Ok, you are misunderstanding how square mileage is figured.

I don't want to come of as condescending, but it's measured by the formula:

W x L = mi^2

Sooooo....

Atlanta before the Buckhead annexation was 6 miles east to west, and about 6.5 miles north to south. To figure this out today, it is the area from the western edge of the West End to East Atlanta, and Midtown from Brookwood station down to Ft. McPherson. Using the formula, that's about 40 square miles, 39 if you want to get fancy. This area includes every neighborhood in the city except for Buckhead and a few neighborhoods on the outer edges such as Cascade Heights and Collier heights. Given that we know the population of Buckhead is about 100,000, and there are roughly 50,000 people in the outlying areas of the city not in the pre-1952 city limits, that leaves 400,000 or so people give or take. That means:

400,000 divided by 40 = 10,000 people per square mile.

The neighborhoods that were added after the annexation, if the original city of Atlanta was carved out, would not account for 100 square miles of land. Why? Because the square miles formula is tricky. After the Buckhead area was added, the width of the city only extended to about 8 miles. The length however extended to 16.5. This change made the city 140 square miles.

Today, with a population of 540,000, the stats shows that the City of Atlanta population density is 4000 people per square mile. But, as I have shown, if you consider that most people in the city live in the "old Atlanta", the population density is at 10,000 people per square mile.

If you really want to argue this, add up the numbers yourself from measuring the city and adding up the zip codes in all the areas. Otherwise, yes, Atlanta does that type of density
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top