U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,413,367 times
Seattle and Portland both have a unique Pacific Northwest vibe that is more than the sum of their collective parts. However, they are very similar to each other in many ways, so I guess you could still say they aren't unique.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 AM

21 posts, read 59,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Did you even think about this? Lets take a look at your list.

NYC - OK
Chicago - OK
L.A. - OK
San Diego - a mini LA/Phoenix - nothing really unique
San Francisco - OK
Seattle - nothing unique other than that needle. Mountains and scenery can be found in many places
Portland - might be a nice place but nothing unique
Salt Lake City - same as Portland
Phoenix - tries to be LA...its not...nothing unique
Las Vegas - OK
St. Louis - a typical midwestern city...nothing unique
Kansas City - same as St. Louis
Albuquerque - seriously?
Dallas - great city but very similar to Houston, Atlanta, etc, nothing really unique
Austin - you can find the same vibe in any college town of decent size in the US
Houston - same as Dallas
San Antonio - once again, nice place but nothing you can't find elsewhere
New Orleans - OK
Memphis - Has a nice bar district but it isn't that different from that in other cities
Louisville - Might be nice, but a very typical American city
Birmingham - what are you smokin?
Nashville - I almost want to give props to this one because of the country music attractions, but outside of that the city as a whole is a very typical American city
Atlanta - posterchild for post-WWII Americana, sprawl, subdivisions, strip malls...where can't you find that?
Miami - OK
Tampa - typical beach city, comparable to almost any other on the gulf coast
Orlando - Has a few theme parks but outside of that you find nothing more than a typical suburbia
Jacksonville - nothing unique
Charlotte - "
Raleigh - "
Richmond - "
Washington D.C. OK
Columbus - nothing unique
Indianapolis - "
Cincinnati - "
Cleveland - "
Detroit - unique but for urban decay and crime...not something you want to be known for
Milwaukee - has great beer, but you can find that in many other cities as well
Buffalo - nothing unique
Baltimore - "
Norfolk - "
Boston - OK
Philadelphia - OK
Pittsburgh - similar to detroit
San Jose - known for its tech sector, but others exist such as Austin, Raleigh-Durham, etc.

Milwaukee has great beer? Wow, not only are you narrow-minded, you also have really crappy taste in beer.

I agree that Portland would be unique if Seattle did not exist, but they are far too similar. Still, I have never felt a vibe like the Pacific Northwest in any other area of the nation. I have lived in Montana, Oregon, California, Arizona and Georgia, and have traveled all over the country. Nothing is like the Pacific Northwest.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 AM

3,217 posts, read 3,781,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Did you even think about this? Lets take a look at your list.

NYC - OK
Chicago - OK
L.A. - OK
San Diego - a mini LA/Phoenix - nothing really unique
San Francisco - OK
Seattle - nothing unique other than that needle. Mountains and scenery can be found in many places
Portland - might be a nice place but nothing unique
Salt Lake City - same as Portland
Phoenix - tries to be LA...its not...nothing unique
Las Vegas - OK
St. Louis - a typical midwestern city...nothing unique
Kansas City - same as St. Louis
Albuquerque - seriously?
Dallas - great city but very similar to Houston, Atlanta, etc, nothing really unique
Austin - you can find the same vibe in any college town of decent size in the US
Houston - same as Dallas
San Antonio - once again, nice place but nothing you can't find elsewhere
New Orleans - OK
Memphis - Has a nice bar district but it isn't that different from that in other cities
Louisville - Might be nice, but a very typical American city
Birmingham - what are you smokin?
Nashville - I almost want to give props to this one because of the country music attractions, but outside of that the city as a whole is a very typical American city
Atlanta - posterchild for post-WWII Americana, sprawl, subdivisions, strip malls...where can't you find that?
Miami - OK
Tampa - typical beach city, comparable to almost any other on the gulf coast
Orlando - Has a few theme parks but outside of that you find nothing more than a typical suburbia
Jacksonville - nothing unique
Charlotte - "
Raleigh - "
Richmond - "
Washington D.C. OK
Columbus - nothing unique
Indianapolis - "
Cincinnati - "
Cleveland - "
Detroit - unique but for urban decay and crime...not something you want to be known for
Milwaukee - has great beer, but you can find that in many other cities as well
Buffalo - nothing unique
Baltimore - "
Norfolk - "
Boston - OK
Philadelphia - OK
Pittsburgh - similar to detroit
San Jose - known for its tech sector, but others exist such as Austin, Raleigh-Durham, etc.
I GREATLY disagree with this post (and your originally one for that matter).

May I make a suggestion? If you are going to start a thread asking for opinions of cities which offer a unique culture that you won't find in any other city (without including attractions), please cite examples why you believe the cities you posted in your initial post fit that bill and what exactly makes them unique. You included Las Vegas, which while unique is BECAUSE of its attractions. Outside of that, what makes it any more unique than Phoenix, which btw has probably less in common with cities in the NE that have more in common with each other?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 AM

517 posts, read 740,972 times
I go to school in San Jose and I will be the first to say there is nothing unique about it. It's a really nice city with great weather in a good location in the South Bay but I wouldn't call it unique at all...it's kinda like a giant suburb. Its in Silicon Valley but Silicon Valley runs all the way from Fremont (North of SJ) to all the up to Redwood City/Foster City (near SF)so it's not like everything in Silicon Valley is happening in SJ.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,117,167 times
- Dallas looks like a bigger Waco

- Houston looks like a bigger Beaumont or Port Arthur or my favorite, a bigger Metairie,LA.

- Atlanta looks like a bigger Birmingham

Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM

12,718 posts, read 18,677,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
- Dallas looks like a bigger Waco

- Houston looks like a bigger Beaumont or Port Arthur or my favorite, a bigger Metairie,LA.

- Atlanta looks like a bigger Birmingham
Pretty close...my take on it:

My DH refers to Dallas as Oklahoma City on steroids.

Houston definitely has some of the 'bayou' feel of other Gulf Coast cities ie NOLA, Biloxi, Mobile and the ones you mentioned. You can see it in the architecture of some of its' older neighborhoods.

I think of Atlanta as what you would get if Charlotte and Los Angeles had a love child.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 AM

10,062 posts, read 10,294,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Houston definitely has some of the 'bayou' feel of other Gulf Coast cities ie NOLA, Biloxi, Mobile and the ones you mentioned. You can see it in the architecture of some of its' older neighborhoods.

I think of Atlanta as what you would get if Charlotte and Los Angeles had a love child.
I always used to say that Los Angeles was created because Mexico City, Manila, and Seoul had a three-way!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM

12,718 posts, read 18,677,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I always used to say that Los Angeles was created because Mexico City, Manila, and Seoul had a three-way!
LOL...perfect!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 PM

6,478 posts, read 6,513,672 times
Quote:
HAHAHAH!

and I would add that it was then filled with expats from NYC, Jersey, and Ted Turner

Old 10-13-2009, 01:22 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,117,167 times
Quote:

People say Houston is a cross between Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City