Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM

343 posts, read 804,998 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying although I live in Dallas I LOVE LA and go every year, but I actually do prefer Dallas' skyline. It's architecture is very unique and at night the light show is spectacular. Whenever I am in LA I rarely see the skyline because it is small I'm comparison to the massive region. Dallas' is more of a centerpiece to the city and can be seen from so far away (I guess due to our lack of scenary). The mountains in LA are beautiful, but I still think the skyline is one of the few departments that Dallas slightly edges out LA.
This doesn't mean LA isn't one of the most spectacular cities in the nation, but because the area is so spread out there are multiple skylines so their main one is relatively small, especially for such a massive metro area

Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Is this even a contest?

Of course LA.

The mountains, the palm trees, & even its night time skyline is colorful though Dallas does bling a bit more at night.

Dallas' night time skyline is like the Vegas Strip of the South. Some call it tacky or gaudy, but I like it & think it fits Dallas personality perfectly.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 PM

491 posts, read 886,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Sunbelt cities like Dallas and Houston, or Atlanta have always been sort of like the obnoxious, rude, tactless student in kindergarten or first grade, who begs to be seen, raises their hands flailing his arms, yelling, "pick me! pick me!" "i know!", "i know!", "look at me! look at me!" the one who always brags about what new toys they have, the "biggest" in everything, and shouting out "look at me!", "dont you see me?!"

There's not much in terms of history, charm or culture, so they have to bring attention to themselves in other ways. They're the 30K Millionaire Early-20-somethings with Ed Hardy Shirts of cities
Well this made me laugh (at you, not with you). And the part that made me chuckle the most was the "obnoxious kindergarten student" with the constant need for attention... because that is exactly how you come off in your comment here, Oatmeal.

I can't speak to charm since that is always open to interpretation, but your claim that none of those cities have much culture or history is plain ignorant. Relative to Los Angeles, all 3 of those cities have almost the same amount of history. Just because it doesn't involve the motion picture industry doesn't make it any less significant. And culture? Well, considering L.A. is more than twice as big as any of those cities you mentioned then that's really not a fair comparison. I would be willing to bet that when L.A. metro was only around 6 million people it probably had the same levels of culture that those cities have today. Oh and one other thing.... L.A. is also a "sunbelt" city.

With that said, I prefer L.A.'s skyline to Dallas, though not by some huge margin. L.A. has been a big city much longer than Dallas has, and therefore has had many more years to build up it's skyline. However, Fountain Place in Dallas beats anything in L.A. It's one of my favorite tall buildings in America. L.A. wins for having the taller building, but height isn't everything. For a super-tall, I find BofA to be pretty boring to look at. What makes L.A.'s skyline superior is it's small to mid-size buildings and street-level density. The mountains in the background are pretty and all, but to me they don't count as "skyline". If mountains are a factor then Leavenworth, Washington kicks everybody's butt.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 07-29-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Definitely LA, really Dallas is quite ugly, especially with 107 degree temps as far as the eye can see.
DUDE, watch the weather channel. Dallas is breaking records because of the heat. I have never see it this hot in my life.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Is this even a contest?
Of course LA.

The mountains, the palm trees, & even its night time skyline is colorful though Dallas does bling a bit more at night.

Dallas' night time skyline is like the Vegas Strip of the South. Some call it tacky or gaudy, but I like it & think it fits Dallas personality perfectly.
I'd say so.

L.A.'s skyilne isn't THAT much more spectacular than Dallas.

Sure they have the mountains, but the buildings themselves...? I'm not saying L.A. doesn't have a great skyline, but I think it's just a bit overrated according to some.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Is this even a contest?

Of course LA.

There's nothing sepcial about LA's Skyline. LA is the 2nd largest city in the USA and places like Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami have better skylines.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
There's nothing sepcial about LA's Skyline. LA is the 2nd largest city in the USA and places like Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami have better skylines.
Um, again, they still have moutains....

Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Um, again, they still have moutains....
Ummmmmm that's it.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ummmmmm that's it.
LA's skyline has mountains & palm trees as natural features.

Dallas has a small river which looks more like a creek that's it.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
LA's skyline has mountains & palm trees as natural features.

Dallas has a small river which looks more like a creek that's it.
You know those palm trees were planted right. I can show you proof. LA has a small river too. Have you ever heard of the LA River?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City