U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 AM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,155,062 times
Reputation: 2090

Advertisements

ok, so we all know that all regions have their stereotypes about their people, but what is the general perceptions in each region and what is actually the truth.

(stereotypes)

Southerners are nice and helpful but lots are racist

Midwesterners are nice laid back folks but lots are racist

Northeasterners are blunt and rude

Westerners are-------? I dont know, is there any stereotype to these people, and this isnt just limited to the West Coast of CA, actually exclude CA cause if we mention it the conversation will go on forever.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,257,090 times
Reputation: 6657
West - If you exclude the coast I'd say the stereotype is gun-loving and/or libertarian. A mix of pro-environment New-Agey types and anti-environment miner or rancher types. Also maybe, even now, a bit of the Cowboy and Indians thing. (It's iconic even when it makes no sense. In modern times "Indians" are pretty often people who watch TV, pay bills, worry about their kids or parents, play bingo, go to a Christian church, and wear typical "American" clothing on most days. Iconic Indian is more shamanist who lives in a hut or lodge and has unique wisdom.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
136 posts, read 202,194 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
ok, so we all know that all regions have their stereotypes about their people, but what is the general perceptions in each region and what is actually the truth.

(stereotypes)

Southerners are nice and helpful but lots are racist

Midwesterners are nice laid back folks but lots are racist

Northeasterners are blunt and rude

Westerners are-------? I dont know, is there any stereotype to these people, and this isnt just limited to the West Coast of CA, actually exclude CA cause if we mention it the conversation will go on forever.
As far as the West stereotype goes....

There is a large difference between California/Oregon/Washington/Colorado and the rest of the Western US.

Outside of those 4 states, I would say the rest of the Western states have a stereotype of being conservative, religious, uneducated, country bumpkins. Those states all get lumped in with the South and Lower Midwest in my mind.

The Northeast, Upper Midwest, CO, and West Coast (CA/OR/WA) all seem fairly similar to me. The Northeast/California is a bit more affluent than the rest, but ideologically, I find them all pretty similar.

Just my 2 cents on the stereotypes of regions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 AM
 
1,712 posts, read 2,688,087 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
ok, so we all know that all regions have their stereotypes about their people, but what is the general perceptions in each region and what is actually the truth.

(stereotypes)

Southerners are nice and helpful but lots are racist

Midwesterners are nice laid back folks but lots are racist

Northeasterners are blunt and rude

Westerners are-------? I dont know, is there any stereotype to these people, and this isnt just limited to the West Coast of CA, actually exclude CA cause if we mention it the conversation will go on forever.

Southerners: Partly true, they are definitely friendly and nice, but there is racism in the rural areas and the larger cities are much better in this regard

Midwesterners: partly true, nice and laid back but are surprisingly progressive. of course racism is to be found here and there but not bad

Northeasterners: Mostly true, but there are friendly people as well. Can also add that there is a surprising amount of racism and also ignorance up there (could provide examples )

Westerners: The most progressive area in America. regarding california, a stereotype is that all people have the "valley girl act" going on and this is mostly untrue
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 10:55 AM
 
5,649 posts, read 13,610,035 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
As far as the West stereotype goes....

There is a large difference between California/Oregon/Washington/Colorado and the rest of the Western US.

Outside of those 4 states, I would say the rest of the Western states have a stereotype of being conservative, religious, uneducated, country bumpkins. Those states all get lumped in with the South and Lower Midwest in my mind.

The Northeast, Upper Midwest, CO, and West Coast (CA/OR/WA) all seem fairly similar to me. The Northeast/California is a bit more affluent than the rest, but ideologically, I find them all pretty similar.

Just my 2 cents on the stereotypes of regions.
It's a pretty broad bush to apply a singular stereotype to a large state, particularly one as larg, dispersed and diverse as CA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
136 posts, read 202,194 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
It's a pretty broad bush to apply a singular stereotype to a large state, particularly one as larg, dispersed and diverse as CA.
It's a stereotype. It is supposed to be a pretty broad brush. Of course not every single town in the region will fit the stereotype. That is the nature of stereotypes. The OP asked for a stereotype, and I gave them one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,155,062 times
Reputation: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Southerners: Partly true, they are definitely friendly and nice, but there is racism in the rural areas and the larger cities are much better in this regard

Midwesterners: partly true, nice and laid back but are surprisingly progressive. of course racism is to be found here and there but not bad

Northeasterners: Mostly true, but there are friendly people as well. Can also add that there is a surprising amount of racism and also ignorance up there (could provide examples )

Westerners: The most progressive area in America. regarding california, a stereotype is that all people have the "valley girl act" going on and this is mostly untrue

so, minus the West Coast states(CA,OR,WA) do you actually see AZ,NM,WY,MT,ID,NV as progressive states?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 12,719,621 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
ok, so we all know that all regions have their stereotypes about their people, but what is the general perceptions in each region and what is actually the truth.

(stereotypes)

Southerners are nice and helpful but lots are racist

Midwesterners are nice laid back folks but lots are racist

Northeasterners are blunt and rude

Westerners are-------? I dont know, is there any stereotype to these people, and this isnt just limited to the West Coast of CA, actually exclude CA cause if we mention it the conversation will go on forever.
Wow, talk about stereotyping.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,061,290 times
Reputation: 3974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
As far as the West stereotype goes....

There is a large difference between California/Oregon/Washington/Colorado and the rest of the Western US.

Outside of those 4 states, I would say the rest of the Western states have a stereotype of being conservative, religious, uneducated, country bumpkins. Those states all get lumped in with the South and Lower Midwest in my mind.

The Northeast, Upper Midwest, CO, and West Coast (CA/OR/WA) all seem fairly similar to me. The Northeast/California is a bit more affluent than the rest, but ideologically, I find them all pretty similar.

Just my 2 cents on the stereotypes of regions.
The West really is a mixed bag. I see AZ, NV, and Southern CA lumped together (with people moving back and forth between them, where people leave/arrive to attend college, where they take off for the weekend, etc.), and I see Northern CA, OR, and WA lumped together. Even in Arizona, you'll find more liberal parts (Tucson, Flagstaff) and more conservative parts (Phoenix), but even that is changing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,155,062 times
Reputation: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Wow, talk about stereotyping.

yes, thats what this is about, stereotyping, this is not my stereotypes of course cause I cant judge a region if I have never been there so this is the general perception of these areas and I think we all know it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top