Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which best describes the southwest?
El Paso 14 5.20%
Albuquerque 94 34.94%
Phoenix 97 36.06%
Tuscon 42 15.61%
Las Vegas 8 2.97%
Other big city not mentioned 14 5.20%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:38 AM

353 posts, read 656,178 times

Advertisements

I would say Abq., El Paso, or Tucson. I don't get why people attribute so much Southwestern-ness to Phoenix. I think the cowboy and Native American influence is way overstated in regards to Phoenix. I think of Phx as more of a hybrid west coast/midwestern influenced city. Abq., El Paso, and Tucson have more of the so called Southwestern characteristics than Phoenix. Even the contrasts between Phoenix and Tucson are pretty stark. Tucson has more of the desert-y old west character than Phoenix. Phoenix is way more green than Tucson also. Ironically I think the image persists in Phoenix partly because of the city promoters. Chambers of commerce and tourist boards continue to sell the area as the wild west/southwest or whatever you want to call it even if it isn't true. Scottsdale still bills itself as the West's most Western town which to residents and people who know the city is a running joke. Scottsdale is about the complete opposite of the authentic old wild west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I would say Abq., El Paso, or Tucson. I don't get why people attribute so much Southwestern-ness to Phoenix. I think the cowboy and Native American influence is way overstated in regards to Phoenix. I think of Phx as more of a hybrid west coast/midwestern influenced city. Abq., El Paso, and Tucson have more of the so called Southwestern characteristics than Phoenix. Even the contrasts between Phoenix and Tucson are pretty stark. Tucson has more of the desert-y old west character than Phoenix. Phoenix is way more green than Tucson also. Ironically I think the image persists in Phoenix partly because of the city promoters. Chambers of commerce and tourist boards continue to sell the area as the wild west/southwest or whatever you want to call it even if it isn't true. Scottsdale still bills itself as the West's most Western town which to residents and people who know the city is a running joke. Scottsdale is about the complete opposite of the authentic old wild west.
I completely agree with your post. Scottsdale is the furthest city (in my mind) to being "The West's Most Western City". Out of the cities listed, I believe ABQ is the most Southwestern.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:01 AM

549 posts, read 1,558,782 times
I'd go with Albuquerque. New Mexico strikes me as truly southwestern, and Albuquerque fits that lifestyle and culture, particularly with Santa Fe and Taos, both very southwestern cities, nearby. Tucson is very southwestern in style, too, with lots of preseved old churches, a desert landscape, and a real cowboy atmosphere. I would think El Paso would too, though I have not been there. Las Vegas is its own universe - it's not southwestern at all, and how could it be, with gigantic water fountains and a hotel that looks like the Chrysler Building - and Phoenix may as well be a suburb of Chicago what with its water and grass and restaurants.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Im from the East...when I think Southwest i undoubtedly think Phoenix and i've never even been there.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:39 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
I think El Paso doesn't get the votes simply because many don't know much about it and it has a bit of a negative image being on the border. Contrary to that El Paso is a very nice place to live and enjoy the southwest.

Here's a bit on its southwest history:

El Paso Southwest.com (http://www.elpasosouthwest.com/dat.asp?pgcode=1700&menu=ep - broken link)

Wikipiedia sais: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso...22Wild_West.22

"After the arrival of the railroads, El Paso became a boomtown: it earned the nickname "Six Shooter Capital" because of its lawlessness, with "scores of saloons, dance halls, gambling establishments, and houses of prostitution lin[ing] the main streets."[12] El Paso hired a town marshal with rough reputation, Dallas Stoudenmire, who was known to shoot first and ask questions later. The "Four Dead in Five Seconds Gunfight" took place here on April 14, 1881"

Last edited by WildWestDude; 10-17-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 09:44 AM

353 posts, read 656,178 times
"when I think Southwest I undoubtedly think Phoenix and I've never been there."

This is my point. Phoenix for some reason conjures up images of tumbleweeds, singing cowboys, native americans, turquiose, rodeos, cacti, adobes, horses, etc. I think my friend from the east coast would be disappointed if he ever visited Phoenix expecting to see these things in abundance. I think Phoenix is the largest city in America that so many people know next to nothing about or have unbelievable misconceptions about.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:34 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Las Cruces. Small enough to have an authentic Southwestern feel. The fact that there is an agricultural school helps the Southwestern image too. The bigger cities are undoubtedly Southwestern, but they also have more outside influences.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Las Cruces. Small enough to have an authentic Southwestern feel. The fact that there is an agricultural school helps the Southwestern image too. The bigger cities are undoubtedly Southwestern, but they also have more outside influences.
And Billy the Kid escaped from nearby Mesilla. Yes, Las Cruces is up there with El Paso or maybe more so since its smaller

Old 10-17-2009, 11:01 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
http://www.angryrobot.tv/images/Tombstone_movie_poster.jpg (broken link)

All of the cities you mentioned only remind me of sprawl, except El Paso, which is a suburb of Juarez

Old 10-17-2009, 11:29 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City