Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think Dallas actually puts Fort Worth on the map, other wise it would barely be an Oklahoma City. Same with Minneapolis and St Paul.

I would have to go with Providence and Hartford. Those are big metro areas that would be large and well known if they were not just buried in the east coast urban corridor.
I think you're right on this one. Outside of the major 4 (maybe 5 including Bmore), you don't really name to many North Eastern Cities. Pittsburgh too, but its almost Midwestern, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'll settle for them just being dallas and conforming to their own stereotypes for themselves. It's not "ameriica" who named their football team the "Cowboys", and it's not america who forces them to be wannabe NYers.

As for the hipster/weirdo scene, every hipster/weirdo scene has aspirations to be like NY or L.A. or SF. That's part and parcel of it. The biggest difference is that in NY's weirdo/hipster scene few of the young people are married or have kids, whereas in Dallas a lot of the women were divorced and had kids already, even at a young age.

Anyway, it's not "america" that forces Dallas to call Deep Ellum "The SoHo of Dallas", which their own brochure said when I was there 5 years ago or so. I think they're wising up a little and not advertising so much that they're just a wannabe copy of NYC or L.A., but they still slip up - here's something I found on the "uptown Dallas" website, which they put together, not "america":

"West Village, located at McKinney and Lemmon Avenue, is Dallas' hip and trendy place to be. Comprised of an eclectic mix of boutiques as well as established retailers, West Village creates an urban like feel similar to SoHo in New York or Robertson in L.A. Along with the upscale shopping options you will find one of a kind restaurants, bars and cafes."

Here's a link to an article in the DALLAS Observer where the writer is obviously obsessed with SoHo in NY and how Deep Ellum compares, including two pictures where he says, "LOOK, even the WALLS of SoHo and Deep Ellum are similar, I bet you can't tell which is which!!!"

So, no, it's not "america" trying to force any stereotype on Dallas, and it's not america saying out of the blue that Dallas is trying to be NY; the fact is that Dallas creates its own stereotypes and then struggles against those same stereotypes to say "LOOK we're like NYC! We're not like some cowboy town! We're like NYC and Los Angeles!"

Please.

Contrast all of that to Fort Worth where people are what they are and make no excuses or apologies for it but instead celebrate it. As a result, Fort Worth becomes the more cultural city of the two..... Yet Dallas denizens look down on Fort Worth and call it "hick" and "redneck" and try to boast about how much "better" Dallas is.

As someone from the NYC metro, I can say that Dallas does not impress me the way Fort Worth does. I don't need a fake NYC with a fake Angelika theater or fake SoHo because I have the real thing at home. But a stockyards and rodeo and some good barbecue and steak, and some actual Texas and western art and artifacts in museums which represent the area, now THAT is interesting - and THAT is Fort Worth. Like the Amon Carter museum or the Sid Richardson or the Cowgirl Hall of Fame or the Western museum...all with specific regional interest, unlike what I can see back home.

Fort Worth is more interesting than Dallas, to a visitor from a big city like NY or L.A., in my opinion.
you're missing the point. practically every city outside of the big 3 has its areas that tries to be the "(insert new york n'hood) of (insert actual city)". but all of dallas is not like that. whose fault is it that you decided to go to all the touristy areas and meet all the fake hipster people? like i said before, dallas has its own historic/eccentric neighborhoods that aren't trying to be like any other place (state thomas, oak cliff, lakewood, winnetka heights). dallas is dallas, and fort worth is fort worth. they've always been different. and dallas has a certain "glamorous" history that dates back long before either of us were ever born (neiman marcus, highland park)

try to twist it anyway you like, but you're just like many other cheesy northerners who come down here expecting all of texas to be like what you've seen on television, and end up being disappointed when you find out this state isn't all about rodeos and barbecue

and you don't speak for everyone. there are plenty of new yorkers who easily prefer dallas over fort worth

Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 AM

195 posts, read 396,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'll do this from one metro to another:

Dallas/Fort Worth: If Dallas wasn't there then yes, Fort Worth would have a lot more recognition. FW is the headquarters city for a lot of companies that people give credit to Dallas for. Such as American Airlines being a top example. Both maintain their own separate skylines.

Washington DC/Baltimore: Politically I don't think Baltimore would change much even if DC was further away. I think economically it might be slightly better because Baltimore is closer to the other major northeastern cities than DC. Both maintain their own separate skylines.

Phoenix- Tucson: This one isn't even a metro, but I'll still do this one. Phoenix and Tucson are two different cities all in all. Tucson does it's own thing, Phoenix may handle politcs, and economics, but Tucson can handle tourism. It is the TOP snow bird haven, people move here for retirement from the north. It's proximity to Mexico can play a larger role in the future for trade and international commerce. It also has more spa resorts than any city in Arizona, and it's one heck of a great city, and if you see it's skyline, it views Phoenix like a big brother. The main buildings in both their skylines look somewhat similar, at least to me. Education is more in Tucson. University of Arizona is located in Tucson, making it a college town. Both maintain their own separate skylines.

Minneapolis/St. Paul: Opposites do attract and these two cities are opposites. One is the political sector of the metropolitan area, and the other is the economical sector. If they were separated then I personally think these two would have a harder time managing the others strengths more, as they are a good pair and good influences to each other. Both maintain their own separate skylines.

Miami/Fort Lauderdale: Believe it or not, they're quite similar. They both heavily rely on tourism, and I think if they were further apart that would just complicate things for them. For instance, spring breakers go to FLD more than Miami, because of the beaches and such, it is called the Venice of America for a reason. Miami on the other hand can take in shoppers, and those who want a better night life. Both maintain their own separate skylines.

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose: These three make one heck of a trio. I'll specify on which one accels best over the other. San Jose is the job base, the tech grounds, where the major IT companies revolve around, it attracts many companies world wide to relocate, also called the capital of the Silicon Valley. San Francisco is the tourist capital of the bay area, it gets the publicity out of the three. Oakland is the sports capital of the bay area, it holds major sports teams from the Big 4. However SF and SJ have the 49ers and the Sharks. All three maintain their own separate skylines.

Los Angeles/Long Beach: Long Beach is a large city, but it's eclipsed by LA majorty of the time. Long Beach would be where the port is the busiest in the metropolitan area. Long Beach also handles decent amount of tourism to it's coastline areas. LA, is the dominant one in the metro, it handles the economic, political, and entertainment for the metro area. They both maintain their own separate skylines.

Tampa/St. Petersburg: Tampa is the financial center of the metro area, it handles the economy, and to some degree the political infrastructure and ports. St. Petersburgh handles a lot of the tourism, maybe not as much as Tampa itself but a very significant amount, and has many companies located here as well. With really good restaurants and shopping. Both cities maintain their own separate skylines.

I think to a FAR lesser degree:

New York City/Newark/Jersey City: NYC handles the politics, the economics, entertainment, and tourism for the most part. Jersey City and Newark do handle the metropolitcan area as second in command, provide much of the residential areas for commuters to NYC, and handle businesses that have moved into the outer areas of the metropolitan area. All three maintain their own separate skylines.
Oakland has only 3 pro sports teams not four. As far as Newark goes, NYC does not have all the entertainment in the metropolitcan area Newark has NJPAC 6th largest performing art center in the USA and also the PRU center home of the NJ Devils ans NJ Nets .

Old 06-11-2010, 01:45 PM

138 posts, read 214,904 times
San Antonio (Houston and Dallas)
San Fransisco (Los Angeles)
Tampa (Miami)
Baltimore (its surrounded)
Kansas City (St Louis)

Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
San Antonio (Houston and Dallas)
San Fransisco (Los Angeles)
Tampa (Miami)
Baltimore (its surrounded)
Kansas City (St Louis)
Tampa is not in the shadows of Miami

Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Tampa is not in the shadows of Miami
well, it depends on your definition of "in the shadows"

Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
well, it depends on your definition of "in the shadows"
well i say it doesnt. Tell me this, If Tampa shadows Miami would it be able to get a Super Bowl of it's own? Host any of the NCAA tournaments? Host the 2012 Republican National Convention? No Tampa is up and coming just as much as Orlando or Jacksonville. Tampa is a leader in Florida.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
well i say it doesnt. Tell me this, If Tampa shadows Miami would it be able to get a Super Bowl of it's own? Host any of the NCAA tournaments? Host the 2012 Republican National Convention? No Tampa is up and coming just as much as Orlando or Jacksonville. Tampa is a leader in Florida.
I never said it wasn't an up and coming city. I just think that it may be often overlooked because of miami.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Quote:
I never said it wasn't an up and coming city. I just think that it may be often overlooked because of miami.
I agree, pretty much the same way San Diego is overlooked by Los Angeles.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 AM

IF you notice he meant shadow in the same metro. SMH. So there is no way Tampa is Shadowed by Miami . Geesh give your own city some credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City