Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
A lot of people don't even recognize North Charleston as its own municipality; it's generally considered an extension of Charleston, and most people generally have a positive view of Charleston.

People say they dislike Myrtle Beach but they are there every summer; it's more of a love/hate thing.

For SC, outside of some relatively obscure impoverished towns that few people outside the state or non-natives are familiar with (e.g., Allendale, Hampton, etc.), I'd probably say Florence or Sumter.
Perhaps people from other states don't know of the distinction between N Chas and Chas but just about every South Carolinian is well aware. When people think of North Charleston they think "ghetto" and when they think of Charleston they think of a historic downtown.

It's part of the same metro area as Charleston (which is understandably the focal point) but it's not "just" a suburb of Charleston like you could say of Hanahan or Goose Creek . It has 95,000 people making it the third largest city in SC behind Charleston and Columbia, and the most retail sales in the state. So it's obviously improving but still as long as you ignore small towns North Charleston is in the running for being the most embarrassing along with Florence and maybe Orangeburg.

I do remember reading somewhere about Florence being one of the worst cities in the US for violent crime per capita.

Really, the whole I-95 corridor is impoverished with horrendous educational opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Perhaps people from other states don't know of the distinction between N Chas and Chas but just about every South Carolinian is well aware. When people think of North Charleston they think "ghetto" and when they think of Charleston they think of a historic downtown.
You have a point, but honestly North Charleston shouldn't even be its own city. It is a functional extension of Charleston in every way, even more so than places like Mount Pleasant. Even people from there don't say they are from North Charleston, they'll just say Charleston. And if you ask them what part, then they'll say North Charleston. But you're correct; as a municipality on paper, it does have a rather crappy reputation.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Morganton, NC

The only thing there is a prison, a mental institution, and a bunch of fringe rednecks who are stuck in 1950.
Talk about growth industries! Criminals and the mentally ill will always be with us and in even greater numbers in the years to come. I would think Morganton is pretty set for a prosperous future.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:07 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Why not post some pictures of the quaint town on the St. Johns and the graceful bridge that spans the river? What about Ravine Gardens? It has been a few years since I have been, but my father's family originated there. Is it because it is more southern than many parts of Florida that have been overrun by transplants? Why bash a nice town just because some rednecks like to drive their oversized trucks in the mud a dozen or so miles outside the city limits?

And you from Jacksonville. Pretty in parts, but the smell!

Last edited by Saintmarks; 10-23-2009 at 01:20 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeville View Post
are there any cities or towns in your state that you are a little ashamed of? When someone from out of state inquires about buying a house there or moving there, you kind of wish they hadn't asked? The place that is the fly in the ointment in a state (or region of a state) that you otherwise love? The ugly duckling, the black sheep, the "special needs child"?
chicago

Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
East St. Louis, Alton or Cairo in Illinois.

Gary in Indiana
Alton has surely seen better days but it isn't nearly on the same plane as Cairo and ESL. Those places have experienced abandonment and/or disinvestment on a scale (as in, "near-complete") that Alton has not, at least not yet. Alton is more of a Cicero or Waukegan than a Cairo or ESL.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
When I was in Mississippi, the capital, Jackson was pretty bad. Blight, poverty and crime everywhere. And the state's largest city should have at least one movie theater.

Greenville is a craphole too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I haven't been to much of Mississippi, only Jackson and the Gulf Coast - but I have to admit my friends and I were quite shocked at Jackson. It really did seem like it had seen better days for the most part. I was expecting something like Des Moines since Jackson is also a capital and almost as big as Des Moines. It was far far different though.
My BIL is in the Navy and he was stationed in Meridian for a while. He's a slightly reconstructed GOB who grew up in the sticks of southern Indiana and has a pretty high tolerance for general redneckery. And even he couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

I try not to judge a book before even looking at its cover, but I sometimes wonder if Mississippi has any redeeming qualities whatsoever. I've occasionally wanted to go check out Biloxi and the rest of the Redneck Riviera for myself, but that's a hell of a long way to travel just to satisfy my curiosity. Perhaps some day when I'm idle-rich and have jag-all else to do.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 AM

As for Wisconsin, probably its most embarrassing cities would be its opposite-corner bookends: Racine and Superior, though some would probably toss in Beloit. Obviously some parts of Milwaukee have them all beat by a wide margin, but it generally reflects well on the state as a whole that these mostly innocuous cities are among the worst the state has to show for itself.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Miami probably, LOL.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Why not post some pictures of the quaint town on the St. Johns and the graceful bridge that spans the river? What about Ravine Gardens? It has been a few years since I have been, but my father's family originated there. Is it because it is more southern than many parts of Florida that have been overrun by transplants? Why bash a nice town just because some rednecks like to drive their oversized trucks in the mud a dozen or so miles outside the city limits?

And you from Jacksonville. Pretty in parts, but the smell!
I like Palatka,I graduated from a 2-year college here,but you have to admit hog waller is a bit embarassing and besides this is what the OP asked for ,not about the beautiful impressive things like Ravine Gardens. I love the State of Florida and think it is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City