U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,236 posts, read 5,948,539 times
Reputation: 1322

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
This is not more skill. It is different skill because I'm telling you, if you take a New York driver who has never left Manhattan and put them down on a freeway in Houston, they would likely not have the skills to maintain speed and watch what they're doing. I can just picture them now, creeping up the ramp, afraid to merge lol.
Umm, they have freeways in NYC, quite a handful actually.


Quote:
And what about people that come from cities without feeder roads? You think they're going to magically know how to perfectly get off the exit ramp and merge into their desired lane when there's traffic? I don't think so. I'm from Texas, and even I had a hard time with it, so imagine someone who's had no experience with that type of road.
My point is that it's easier to just bear right and be off the highway than to have to break speed on a narrow twisting ramp

Quote:
Umm, I have been on the freeways in New Orleans and there wasn't a thing difficult about them. All it took was common sense.
You have to have common sense to be a good driver, period. Traveling on a narrow twisting highway at peak time is way different from being on a mile wide freeway.
I didn't say it was difficult, but it requires more skill especially on the older ones.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 6,791,225 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
HA! New Yorkers better drivers than southerners?! Oh, man you're sick.
There's a difference between aggressive and smart drivers, vs. bad drivers. Most people don't think NYers drive badly--we're just quick and smart on the roads. I guess you've never driven in NY.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 6,791,225 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
It doesn't take more skill, it takes different skill. Put some of those New Yorkers on our freeways and see if they don't get ran off the road.

It must just be personal experience, because I've driven a lot of places and I've seen good and bad in both.
Right, that's why we only have highways just like any other city, just like this. We must have no practice merging

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/20...l_aerial_1.jpg
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 1,524,468 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Umm, they have freeways in NYC, quite a handful actually.
I know they freeways, but not to the capacity or regulated speed of the ones in the Sunbelt.

Quote:
My point is that it's easier to just bear right and be off the highway than to have to break speed on a narrow twisting ramp



You have to have common sense to be a good driver, period. Traveling on a narrow twisting highway at peak time is way different from being on a mile wide freeway.
I didn't say it was difficult, but it requires more skill especially on the older ones.
There are plenty of tightly curved ramps in Texas. What's your point?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,406,518 times
Reputation: 2774
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays
That's not unique to Long Island. I failed my first two driving tests because I didn't parallel park perfectly. After the second time I was certain I'd never get a license.

I'm pretty sure parallel parking is stressed in most heavily populated states like New York, California, Illinois, Texas, Florida, and Georgia where you have some slender roads and a lack of parking in some places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's required within like a 100 mile radius of the city. Does all of Texas and Georgia require parallel parking? I doubt it. Probably just in like Atlanta. Would a town of 3000 require parallel parking down south? lol
Why have you refused to address this false claim you made of your imaginary "100 mile rule" for enhanced road tests for parallel parking?

Last edited by johnatl; 10-19-2009 at 11:55 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 1,524,468 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There's a difference between aggressive and smart drivers, vs. bad drivers. Most people don't think NYers drive badly--we're just quick and smart on the roads. I guess you've never driven in NY.
By most people you mean New Yorkers. Do you actually think that people outside the Tri-State area believe anything you have to say?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
 
2,540 posts, read 2,620,702 times
Reputation: 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not even sure why parallel parking is so important in a city that is SO transit-oriented. I thought everyone used the subway in NYC?
Well, if you're getting a driver's license is because you're going to drive, right? You can't park your car inside a subway car. See those things one wheels rolliung along the streets of New York? They're cars. Driven by New Yorkers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 1,524,468 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Right, that's why we only have highways just like any other city, just like this. We must have no practice merging

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/20...l_aerial_1.jpg
Hmm, well you say New York has freeways, but why should I believe it? Maybe I should just ignore your facts the same way you do me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 6,284,301 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Hey, I said it was an opinion. But you can't deny that each area has it's own unique driving culture. Trust me though, it takes much more skill to drive in a crowded dense environment than it does to drive through a city with wide streets and 10 lane freeways. Southerners may get more practice, but they are practicing an entirely different type of driving so it really doesn't make a difference. I don't think people drive the same in any city.
I'd think that in some ways, wide streets can make it harder to drive because you might have to change lanes more often. Is this not the case?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,754,268 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Well, if you're getting a driver's license is because you're going to drive, right? You can't park your car inside a subway car. See those things one wheels rolliung along the streets of New York? They're cars. Driven by New Yorkers.
I know...ever heard of sarcasm?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top