Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yes it is, because we have better, safer drivers on the road if it's more difficult to pass the driving/permit test.
HA! New Yorkers better drivers than southerners?!

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-19-2009 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
HA! New Yorkers better drivers than southerners?! Oh, man you're sick.
Well they would have more practice driving in crowded conditions, merging, etc.

In my personal opinion a lot of southerners can't drive.
In Houston they seem to do good on the freeway, but drive like hell on the streets.
In Dallas they drive like maniacs.
Outside of NOLA, Louisianans cannot drive.
In Mississippi they drive slow and don't seem to know the definition of merge.
Alabama drivers are a little bit faster but just as bad ^
Atlanta.. no comment.
Florida

^ all opinion so don't get offended.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Well they would have more practice driving in crowded conditions, merging, etc.

In my personal opinion a lot of southerners can't drive.
In Houston they seem to do good on the freeway, but drive like hell on the streets.
In Dallas they drive like maniacs.
Outside of NOLA, Louisianans cannot drive.
In Mississippi they drive slow and don't seem to know the definition of merge.
Alabama drivers are a little bit faster but just as bad ^
Atlanta.. no comment.
Florida

^ all opinion so don't get offended.
States have no bearing on the way people drive. It just seems that way because that's what you've experienced when you were there.

Because we HAVE to drive a lot more often than people in the NE, we get more practice and more experience. With that said, while a lot of southerners may be irresponsible and inconsiderate drivers, they're still more SKILLED than the average New Yorker. Meaning they know how to drive well they just choose not to.

But the only thing a driver from NY can teach me how to do is operate an automobile like a bumper car.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
States have no bearing on the way people drive. It just seems that way because that's what you've experienced when you were there.

Because we HAVE to drive a lot more often than people in the NE, we get more practice and more experience. With that said, while a lot of southerners may be irresponsible and inconsiderate drivers, they're still more SKILLED than the average New Yorker. Meaning they know how to drive well they just choose not to.

But the only thing a driver from NY can teach me how to do is operate an automobile like a bumper car.
Hey, I said it was an opinion. But you can't deny that each area has it's own unique driving culture. Trust me though, it takes much more skill to drive in a crowded dense environment than it does to drive through a city with wide streets and 10 lane freeways. Southerners may get more practice, but they are practicing an entirely different type of driving so it really doesn't make a difference. I don't think people drive the same in any city.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Hey, I said it was an opinion. But you can't deny that each area has it's own unique driving culture. Trust me though, it takes much more skill to drive in a crowded dense environment than it does to drive through a city with wide streets and 10 lane freeways. Southerners may get more practice, but they are practicing an entirely different type of driving so it really doesn't make a difference.
It doesn't take more skill, it takes different skill. Put some of those New Yorkers on our freeways and see if they don't get ran off the road.

Quote:
I don't think people drive the same in any city.
It must just be personal experience, because I've driven a lot of places and I've seen good and bad in both.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take more skill, it takes different skill. Put some of those New Yorkers on our freeways and see if they don't get ran off the road.

It must just be personal experience, because I've driven a lot of places and I've seen good and bad in both.
I'm not saying that all people drive good here and drive good there. I'm saying that the rules of the road are different everywhere you go. Some places honking is rude, some places it's common. The majority of drivers in Dallas do not drive like the majority of drivers in Houston, same for New York and Boston. Rural drivers don't drive like City drivers.

As far as skill it does take more skill. You're doing the same thing but there are more complex elements thrown in.

Example:
Driving down a main street in Houston. -> There may be some cars parked on the street (or in the street), but the lanes will usually be wide and other than an occasional bad driver or heavy traffic it will be a straight shot.

Driving down a main street in New Orleans ->The street will be lined with cars and when it isn't you have to stay out of the implied parking lane. A far larger amount of pedestrians and bicycles will be in, beside or attempting to cross the street. U-turns are the only way to turn left and depending on the street you'll have to watch out for streetcars. (I would have to use the same skill used to drive in Houston and add all of the extras into the picture.)

Driving on highway in Houston -> usually a wide multi lane freeway, may or may not be crowded. and the majority of exits simply bear right onto a feeder.

Driving on highway in New Orleans -> usually cramped crowded narrow expressway with sharp turns and some exits that actually take 90 degree turns from the hwy, yet the avg. speed limit is 70-80 mph

See the difference?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Well the Hardest State I would say is Georgia and the DMV people have horrible customer service

Old 10-19-2009, 06:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that all people drive good here and drive good there. I'm saying that the rules of the road are different everywhere you go. Some places honking is rude, some places it's common. The majority of drivers in Dallas do not drive like the majority of drivers in Houston, same for New York and Boston. Rural drivers don't drive like City drivers.

As far as skill it does take more skill. You're doing the same thing but there are more complex elements thrown in.

Example:
Driving down a main street in Houston. -> There may be some cars parked on the street (or in the street), but the lanes will usually be wide and other than an occasional bad driver or heavy traffic it will be a straight shot.

Driving down a main street in New Orleans ->The street will be lined with cars and when it isn't you have to stay out of the implied parking lane. A far larger amount of pedestrians and bicycles will be in, beside or attempting to cross the street. U-turns are the only way to turn left and depending on the street you'll have to watch out for streetcars. (I would have to use the same skill used to drive in Houston and add all of the extras into the picture.)

Driving on highway in Houston -> usually a wide multi lane freeway, may or may not be crowded. and the majority of exits simply bear right onto a feeder.

Driving on highway in New Orleans -> usually cramped crowded narrow expressway with sharp turns and some exits that actually take 90 degree turns from the hwy, yet the avg. speed limit is 70-80 mph

See the difference?
well you do have lots of narrow streets in Houston as well.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
PA is relatively easy atleast in my experience. The PENNDOT employees aren't the nicest (GRUMPY!) but they (eventually) get the job done. You just can't get your tag there. You have to go to a notary.

I have experience in WV too and it's not too bad there either. Got your tag there as well.

FL wasn't bad at all. In fact, I was impressed by their quickness and professionalism.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that all people drive good here and drive good there. I'm saying that the rules of the road are different everywhere you go. Some places honking is rude, some places it's common. The majority of drivers in Dallas do not drive like the majority of drivers in Houston, same for New York and Boston.
If you say so, but my observation has been totally different, so..

Quote:
Rural drivers don't drive like City drivers.
Of course they don't

Quote:

Example:

This is not more skill. It is different skill because I'm telling you, if you take a New York driver who has never left Manhattan and put them down on a freeway in Houston, they would likely not have the skills to maintain speed and watch what they're doing. I can just picture them now, creeping up the ramp, afraid to merge lol.

And what about people that come from cities without feeder roads? You think they're going to magically know how to perfectly get off the exit ramp and merge into their desired lane when there's traffic? I don't think so. I'm from Texas, and even I had a hard time with it, so imagine someone who's had no experience with that type of road.

Quote:

See the difference?
Umm, I have been on the freeways in New Orleans and there wasn't a thing difficult about them. All it took was common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City