Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:34 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Although Asheville and Wilmington are noteworthy, they are too isolated from the majority of state's population for my tastes.
Why is that a negative for you? Seems like it would be a positive, seeing as though they aren't in close proximity to the "boring, bland, and sprawling" metro areas you seem to detest.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
You think Chesapeake has more happening than Va Beach?!
Chesapeake is a nice suburb, very similiar to Cary now that I think about it. Its a nice place to raise a family. Its not a hip place but it is quiet and reserved. I figured for Virginia Beach to be VA largest city it ought to have more going for it. I was not impressed.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Why is that a negative for you? Seems like it would be a positive, seeing as though they aren't in close proximity to the "boring, bland, and sprawling" metro areas you seem to detest.
Allow me to clarify myself, the mountains and coastal regions of North Carolina are far too sparsely populated for me. Furthermore, I wish the majority of the state's populace were in these two regions and not the Piedmont; the area of the state I "strongly dislike."

Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That doesn't mean that you've experienced cities in N.C. other than wherever it is that you live. Both states have an abundance of cities and towns that are beautiful, interesting and historical.
Yes, both states have some great areas, however, in North Carolina, the mountains and coast are the only parts of the state I like. With this said, the entire Piedmont of NC has nothing I whole-heartedly desire.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Allow me to clarify myself, the mountains and coastal regions of North Carolina are far too sparsely populated for me. Furthermore, I wish the majority of the state's populace were in these two regions and not the Piedmont; the area of the state I "strongly dislike."
But if they were more populated, they would turn into those "bland and boring" areas that you so strongly dislike.

As much as you hate the Piedmont, that is the area of North Carolina that keeps the state running. Take away the Piedmont and you've got Mississippi.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Rnc2mbfl,
Raleigh may look up to Nova for its future growth but besides education levels and maybe wages (have to look that up) it's not in the same league. Nova has more than 2 million people, some of the best public transit in the world, and some of the wealthiest counties in the nation. And this is not considering that Nova can't be taken as a single unit as it's part of the DC metro area. Hardly a competitor. But that makes sense, why would a region look to a peer to emulate?
I fully understand what NOVA has to offer. It's in an enviable position next to DC and the national power structure and wealth that comes with its location. That all said, NOVA has a lot more in common with the Triangle than the Triangle does with Hampton Roads. If it didn't, why would the #1 out of state county migrating to Wake County (Raleigh's county) be Fairfax, VA? The Triangle is always listed alongside DC as having one of the nations' most educated poplutions. I have read article after article outlining how the Triangle is taking a very similar path to the one that NOVA/DC has taken. This is true from an economic and political perspective as well as growth patterns and the types of people who are choosing to call each place home. And, it seems to me that I see lots of objective and subjective lists where both the greater DC area and the Triangle are often listed together.

Here are just some links that bolster my assertion that Raleigh/Cary (or the entire Triangle for that matter) is more objectively comparable to NOVA than to Hampton Roads.

Raleigh Named Best Place for Business and Careers for Third Straight Year
Is North Carolina the New Virginia? : Patrick Ottenhoff (http://www.patrickottenhoff.com/47/ - broken link)
Obama Rolling in Wake County, NC*|*The Electoral Map
The Next Hot Youth-Magnet Cities - WSJ.com
Raleigh and Austin Are Fastest-Growing Metro Areas | Reuters
Most-Educated Cities in the United States - MSN Encarta
America's Smartest Cities—From First to Worst - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-10-04/americas-smartest-cities---from-first-to-worst/?cid=bs:archive9#gallery=787;page=1 - broken link)

I am not going to pretend that the Triangle is more than it is. It's not as big as other metros. In fact, many lists point out that the Triangle is their "smallest" city/metro on their list (as if it needs an apology). But, with rapid growth and lessons learned from successes and failures of other metros that grew before it, the Triangle intends to position itself for the long haul by building its solid foundation first so that future generations can enjoy the fruits of that labor.

It would seem to me that the value in comparing areas is to give people the sort of real information that they can use in their lives. People are pragmatic; they compare areas based on short lists that they create based on criteria that is objective. One's career is usually tops on those lists. So, it only makes sense that people will compare areas where their careers can flourish. To that end, many more people will have NOVA and Raleigh on their lists together than they will Hampton Roads and Raleigh.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM

I'm only hoping that the Triangle will start to resemble the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor in terms of development and transit as opposed to Tysons Corner. So far, it's been more like the latter, but there are positive signs that things are starting to change.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:08 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
I'm only hoping that the Triangle will start to resemble the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor in terms of development and transit as opposed to Tysons Corner. So far, it's been more like the latter, but there are positive signs that things are starting to change.
Well...the only reason Ballston-Rosslyn has the development and transit it does have is because it's sitting next to Washington D.C. The Triangle doesn't have a D.C. sitting in the middle of it, so...while it may eventually get there, I doubt it will ever have the kinds of advantages Northern Virginia has.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well...the only reason Ballston-Rosslyn has the development and transit it does have is because it's sitting next to Washington D.C. The Triangle doesn't have a D.C. sitting in the middle of it, so...while it may eventually get there, I doubt it will ever have the kinds of advantages Northern Virginia has.
Really, the number one thing the Triangle has to do is get on the ball with well-planned rail-based transit. That, and the resulting transit-oriented development, is the main thing that separates the Triangle from NoVA.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Really, the number one thing the Triangle has to do is get on the ball with well-planned rail-based transit. That, and the resulting transit-oriented development, is the main thing that separates the Triangle from NoVA.
True, but my point is that it isn't easy for a metro of just over 1 million to start up rail transit. Look how long it took Charlotte to get its system up and running, and it's only the one line - and Charlotte is twice Raleigh's size/density. NOVA has transit and transit-oriented development because it's part of D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City