Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
What does that mean???
It's simple. Most blacks outside of the South are concentrated in Major Metro areas. In Ohio's case most of the blacks live in the Cleveland/NE ohio Area, Columbus metro, and Cincinatti metro.
In the south you have tons of rural small towns that are up to 80 and 90 percent black. You'll have a hard time finding any of those in the Midwest and North east.

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:59 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah but not many rural blacks like in the Deep South
What does that have to do with Memphis or Ohio?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
yeah but not many rural blacks like in the Deep South
There are alot of places in the Bootheel of Missouri that are like that. A very drastic change from Perryville to Sikeston. Once you get to Scott County, there are many towns that are tiny and are >90% Black.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Basically Upper South has less black people. When I visit Nashville, it feels like Ohio compared to Memphis. Completely different feel.
Um...OK?

Yes, the Upper South generally has fewer black people...that doesn't make it anything like Ohio. Another question that would go right along with that would be, do you not consider East Tennessee/West North Carolina Southern?

Yes, completely different feel, but Nashville, as well as other "Upper South" cities have much more in common with the Deep South than they do the North. Btw, Memphis has a high black population even compared to a lot of Southern Cities. Not a good barometer.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
What does that mean???
do you not know what the word "like" means???

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What does that have to do with Memphis or Ohio?
Coming from the Memphis area (borderline Deep South), when I go to Nashville (Upper South), it feels something like Ohio, there aren't many black folks, and the culture just feels really different, as if it were someplace further North with less black folks. I just used Ohio as an example because the first time I spent a lot of time in Nashville I remember saying to myself "this place feels like Ohio" OH & TN have the about the same percentage of African Americans, but around Memphis and the surrouding rural areas, it's 50%+. That's why Memphis feels more Deep South than the rest of TN. I think a lot of people would agree that Nashville & Memphis have very different feels. Memphis feels more like Jackson, MS than it does Nashville. I think the large presence of African Americans in the city and surrounding rural areas has a lot to do with that.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
do you not know what the word "like" means???

Quote:
Coming from the Memphis area (borderline Deep South), when I go to Nashville (Upper South), it feels something like Ohio, there aren't many black folks, and the culture just feels really different, as if it were someplace further North with less black folks. I just used Ohio as an example. I think a lot of people would agree that Nashville & Memphis have very different feels. Memphis feels more like Jackson, MS than it does Nashville.
Yes, Nashville and Memphis have a very different feel...but I don't think it only points to demographic makeup. Nashville is somewhat closer to Chattanooga in black population %, but they have a very different "feels", too.

Demographics are certainly a part of the difference between the Upper South and Deep South, but a lot of it is due to geography/topography as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post
Kentucky is overall a Southern state.
Ive been to Kentucky, and Louisville has more of a northern feel than southern, Lexington definitely feels southern, seen so many mexicans lol

Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Well people say Texas is not the deep south, and Louisiana is much more like Texas than Mississippi and Alabama. Louisiana and Texas are South Central. Why are you attacking me saying Louisiana is not the deep South. There are people on here saying that Florida is not even part of the South, and it's deeper than Louisiana. I've lived in Louisiana nearly all of my life, I would know. As far as what it does not have to be considered part of the deep South. Well first of all it is predominantly Catholic, while the rest of the "deep South" is predominantly Protestant. Second, Louisiana is of predominantly French and Creole Heritage, something than is also not so in the "deep South" states.
Southern Alabama & Louisiana are alike in culture, more Catholic and French Heritage with European architecture.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Demographics are certainly a part of the difference between the Upper South and Deep South, but a lot of it is due to geography/topography as well.
And historically, the difference in geography/topography is what gave rise to the difference in demographics. There wasn't really much slavery to speak of in the upcountry/Piedmont/foothills/mountains; it was concentrated in the coastal plain areas due to the abundance of land suitable for the cultivation of crops (cotton, rice, tobacco, etc.). I'm pretty sure you already know this, but I just wanted to mention it.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
Southern Alabama & Louisiana are alike in culture, more Catholic and French Heritage with European architecture.
Yes, SE Texas is like south La. And we are much more tied in with MS than Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City