U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM

20,176 posts, read 34,515,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Southern Maryland might well have southern attributes like Virginia and coastal N. Carolina. The Western panhandle has Appalachian attributes and culture and serves as a sort of transition, along with east-central West Virginia, from northern Appalachia to southern Appalachia.

However, when most of your population lives near places like Baltimore, Towson, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Annapolis, and Frederick, it just doesn't qualify. Maryland's never felt Southern to me at all. Plenty of nice areas, but I don't feel like I'm in the South until I'm in southern Virginia or central Kentucky. Sure, it is historically south of the Mason-Dixon line, had an appreciable and large slave trade, and channeled slaves southward. However, would you also call Washington, D.C. "Southern" anymore. It's a historically "Southern" city that is now very multicultural, full of NYC/NJ/Mass/Phila transplants, and the world's political and diplomatic capital.
Garrett and Allegany counties in MD are definitely upland Appalachian, high in elevation. Technically, I would classify that area as part of the central Allegheny highlands that stretch northward into Pennsylvania. That area has more of a northern feel due to the vegetation. I remember driving through the area one year in May and the leaves were not on the trees yet. I was quite surprised.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,692,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Southern Maryland might well have southern attributes like Virginia and coastal N. Carolina. The Western panhandle has Appalachian attributes and culture and serves as a sort of transition, along with east-central West Virginia, from northern Appalachia to southern Appalachia.

However, when most of your population lives near places like Baltimore, Towson, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Annapolis, and Frederick, it just doesn't qualify. Maryland's never felt Southern to me at all. Plenty of nice areas, but I don't feel like I'm in the South until I'm in southern Virginia or central Kentucky. Sure, it is historically south of the Mason-Dixon line, had an appreciable and large slave trade, and channeled slaves southward. However, would you also call Washington, D.C. "Southern" anymore. It's a historically "Southern" city that is now very multicultural, full of NYC/NJ/Mass/Phila transplants, and the world's political and diplomatic capital.
So is Florida, Atlanta, and Virginia........

Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
We gave Maryland to the North as a peace offering when we lost the Civil War.

Sorry, Yankee.
Nice try, However your opinion means nothing and will not ever remove the Fact that Maryland is a Southern state......

But you can keep talking though........

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,376,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Nice try, However your opinion means nothing and will not ever remove the Fact that Maryland is a Southern state......

But you can keep talking though........
I wasn't asking for permission.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 AM

2,057 posts, read 2,748,571 times
Quote:

Sorry, Yankee.
lmao! I'd rep this but I gotta spread the love around some.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 AM

3,661 posts, read 4,308,506 times
Quote:

Sorry, Yankee.
LOL This is the best retort ever.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Sorry, Yankee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
lmao! I'd rep this but I gotta spread the love around some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
LOL This is the best retort ever.

Now what have we learned here.....

The only reason why most people in the deep south Deny the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State is due to Hatred and Bitterness due to the FACT that the South Lost the Civil War and continues to this day to out right Blame/Fault the state of Maryland for the South losing the Civil War......

Despite the Fact that the South lost the Civil War does not ever erase the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State......

People can argue and cry day and night and it will not change th Fact that Maryland is a Southern State...........

Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 PM

249 posts, read 664,670 times
Being originally from southern Connecticut which is in southern New England, I have managed to fit right into my new home in the real South. But it is good to know that you posters are all still fighting that old war. Y'all -oops, sorry, a little Southern slipped out.... all of you keep on fighting; I'll sit back and watch. Wonder which side will win this time?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM

249 posts, read 664,670 times
I've been away for over 14 hours. Did I miss the end of the war....again?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 PM

777 posts, read 1,032,178 times
In a post earlier someone said Maryland is not southern because most of MDs population is in areas that dont feel southern, well that would make Virginia not southern considering most of its population is in NOVA and the Hampton Roads and those places dont feel stereotypically southern either to most.

Last edited by Diff1; 04-08-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or