Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea04 View Post
We are from Hawaii and we decided to move in the mainland since the cost of living is too high and there is no jobs in our area. We are considering Arkansas or Missouri. We have kids and both work in a healthcare field ( registered nurse and Physical therapist) . Can anyone advice us on which of these two state is better in terms of the cost of living and employment. Thank you!
I have not read the other replies, but I'm sure that someone mentioned that there are a lot of other considerations.

Both Missouri and Arkansas have a lower cost of living, but that is not true of EVERYWHERE in Arkansas and Missouri. If you are going to live rurally, then they are probably about equal, but if you are going to live in Hot Springs or Springfield or any other big city, it is going to be higher (not as high as Hawaii, however).

The biggest decision that they will want to make is whether or not they want to be in the big city or in the country. And what services and amenities are important to them. I live in a very rural area of Missouri and if being near a medical facility was important, I would not be happy because the closest one is about 30 miles away. Likewise, the closest airport is about 40 miles, the grocery store is 17 miles, etc.

Personally, I like Missouri, but lately it seems that our local, county and state governments are having a little too much to say about the way I choose to live my life and if this continues I may be forced to find a more rural area with a less invasive government. I have thought about checking out Arkansas, which I understand is a little less restrictive.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Definitely true of the Bootheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ozarkian southern MO, yes.
North of that area, no.
The extreme Bootheel area, yes. Having lived in Poplar Bluff, I will agree to that, but the general Southern Ozarks, not so much. You have to remember, those Ozarks extend to the fringes of STL. Being from a rural area an hour south of STL, and in the Ozarks, I feel I can say with some authority that the folks in that area are NOTHING like the folks in the Bootheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Ha-ha...Arkansas North...It gets annoying when a reference to your homestate is taken as an insult. But hey, that's the stereotype; sorry we're not as "advanced" as you Missourians.
Do you have some kind of cultural self-esteem issue? Nothing was said at all about Arkansansians being inferior to Missourians, I should know, I have lots of family from Arkansas as well as Missouri.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,850,737 times
Missouri is great for many reasons, you can easily find what size town you are looking for. We have the two larger cities, St Louis and Kansas City. There are several medium size cities (Jefferson City, Springfield, Columbia, St Joseph, Sedalia, Cape Girardeau, Poplar Bluff) and of course several small towns.
We have the Lake of the Ozarks (Mid-Missouri) and Table Rock Lake (Branson Area) Both lakes are a summertime playground for people all over the midwest.
Missouri is more mid-western, as Arkansas is more Southern. Arkansas has Littlerock, and a few other medium size cities (Fayetteville). I have done lots of camping in Northern Arkansas, and its absolutely beautiful.
Arkansas has a little town called Eureka Springs that is one of the coolest little towns I have ever visited. If you are in the area, defintely check it out.
Overall, it really just depends what you are looking for. Both states are cheap (Arkansas is probably a little cheaper). Arkansas is going to be more rural, but you can also find this in parts of Missouri.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 PM

87 posts, read 137,795 times
From a natural landscape standpoint: Arkansas
From a sociopolitical landscape: Missouri

Old 04-01-2016, 01:29 AM

650 posts, read 859,752 times
I recommend Missouri.

Springfield, Kansas City, St Louis are all good suggestions. I've spent quit a bit of time in Missouri, I consider it a home away from home. I would say Columbia but it's too centered around University of Missouri. Missouri is a nice place.

If you are looking for other suggestions, Indiana and Michigan are good states to live in too.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:03 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,841,633 times
You might as well consider Tennessee too if you re going to consider Arkansas And Missouri and the whole Healthcare and Jobs thing

Old 02-16-2020, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
I’m from Missouri and now live in Arkansas. Geographically, no two states are more alike. Both have the Ozarks. Although more of the Ozarks are in Missouri, Arkansas also has the Ouachita Mountains. So both states are very scenic in those areas. Both also have a Mississippi Delta region. The main difference is what has already been mentioned. Missouri has two major metropolitan areas and Arkansas has none. The people of Arkansas love their state like no other. I don’t see the same passion for their state in Missouri. I love living in Arkansas for the milder winters and laid back country life. But mainly for the more traditional values. If you are a conservative, come to Arkansas. If you are a liberal, please go to Missouri. Although I am from Missouri, I prefer living in Arkansas.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:45 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,733,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Parker View Post
I’m from Missouri and now live in Arkansas. Geographically, no two states are more alike. Both have the Ozarks. Although more of the Ozarks are in Missouri, Arkansas also has the Ouachita Mountains. So both states are very scenic in those areas. Both also have a Mississippi Delta region. The main difference is what has already been mentioned. Missouri has two major metropolitan areas and Arkansas has none. The people of Arkansas love their state like no other. I don’t see the same passion for their state in Missouri. I love living in Arkansas for the milder winters and laid back country life. But mainly for the more traditional values. If you are a conservative, come to Arkansas. If you are a liberal, please go to Missouri. Although I am from Missouri, I prefer living in Arkansas.
I would say Missouri is almost two different states culturally. Arkansas is Southern to the core and I would say Missouri is similar below I-44. Both major metro areas in Missouri are decidedly Midwestern with little to no Southern influence. Rural central and northern Missouri has more in common with Iowa than it does Arkansas.

I agree that Arkansas is one of the most conservative states in the country and is very, very Southern Baptist. Missouri is liberal in it's metro areas and it's rural areas (above I-44) are less conservative than Arkansas, which is so conservative it's still mostly dry.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:45 PM

451 posts, read 358,852 times
Tough decision. Look as others have pointed out AR doesn't have a KC or an StL. If you're looking for Big City amenities you can find many in Little Rock, although not in the quantity you will in Stl or KC.

Otherwise what these states have to offer is pretty similar. I'm sure AR has some large healthcare providers, particularly UofA. I know StL has three very large medical groups: BJC, Mercy and SSM. SEMO has Southeast and St. Francis. Springfield has Cox. Central Mo has Mizzou.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:09 PM

15,948 posts, read 10,517,025 times
I was raised in St. Louis but lived in Jefferson City on the northern edge of the Missouri Ozarks for 35 years and traveled to every county seat several times for work. I have been through Arkansas numerous times and it always seemed much the same in the rural parts. Some of those parts are very rural. The Ozarks are gorgeous in most respects and a great place to visit. I think that you might be comfortable and welcome in St. Louis and Kansas City and in Columbia. Those are the important healthcare centers and have a fairly open and diverse social fabric. Arkansas is definitely more southern rather than midwestern. I have limited experience with Little Rock but it seemed a very friendly and welcoming place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City