Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most transient state is???
California 26 22.61%
New York 6 5.22%
North Carolina 4 3.48%
Florida 57 49.57%
Arizona 17 14.78%
Texas 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM

106 posts, read 287,398 times

Advertisements

The most transient place i've lived in is DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
I think of transient as a place people are always moving into AND out of. I would say Florida is the top in this stat. I know multiple people who moved to Florida for a few years, then slowly they all ended up back in the Midwest after they were "over" Florida for various reasons.

Places like Georgia and Texas are growing fast, but from casual observations when visiting, talking with people who moved there - they aren't really places people just "pass through". The ones I know who moved to Atlanta and Texas had those places as destinations and wanted to set up shop. The ones who moved to Florida were more people who were just wanted to leave and try something different. That was about as different as they could find, so they bummed around Florida for awhile, then moved on.

I think Arizona is fairly transient - and definitely Vegas.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,549,368 times
California by a mile. Nobody needs to be explained this one.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Let me put it this way, Texas IS transient, BUT it's not transient in the same way as FL. Texas is filled with so many NATIVES. Natives don't move OUT of Texas often, and if they do, they usually return. With Florida, it's NATIVES leave, and transplants take over.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
a lot of natives are gone too, pretty much all of my more educated friends left for better pastures soon as they got the chance. Some of the FL culture is gone as well, not talking about southern culture there... more of the beach bum laid back culture, has been replaced with condos and cookie cutter homes and crime. I grew up *on* the beach. I suppose it is just too expensive and all that property is now developed.
The funny thing about Florida, is people always say how BAD the crime has gotten. But Florida has had a HIGH crime rate since the EARLY 70's from what I've researched. Even BEFORE the cocaine cowboys of Miami. Florida was WORSE back then, then it is NOW. It always baffles me when people say how bad Florida is NOW. Look at this(look down that WHOLE list of murders for FL year by year, 1,191 murders in the state of Florida in 1974, with a population of only 8million people): Florida Crime Rates 1960 - 2008

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,042,260 times
Where's Colorado or any of the other Mountain West states for that matter? Even when I lived in Colorado for the better part of 5 years, it was rare to come upon an actual native. I've met plenty of people from Florida, Texas, New York, and the Carolinas, but I've never met a person from Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, or Nevada.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,351,456 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

According to the US Census, Nevada is #1 at 28.1 percent. I believe it too because every time I go to Las Vegas, California plates greatly outnumber Nevada plates, not to mention other states. Even when you move off the strip, the same correlation exists (even though its a BIT smaller). It's fast becoming an eastern extension of California (just look at the Las Vegas forum to see the # of transplants).The same correlation holds true for Reno! Watch for that area to grow in the next few years.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
If you factor in the foreign born population (18% of the population), this enhances Nevada's rootless population. In fact, I don't think I've really ever met a native Nevadan, although I'm sure they exist.

For the listed; Arizona and Florida are a near tie (Phoenix looks eerily similar to the Inland Empire of CA). New York is at the bottom, unless you count foreign born, but it would still be at the bottom of this list.

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2009 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,821,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Let me put it this way, Texas IS transient, BUT it's not transient in the same way as FL. Texas is filled with so many NATIVES. Natives don't move OUT of Texas often, and if they do, they usually return. With Florida, it's NATIVES leave, and transplants take over.
you're absolutely right.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:09 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,325,413 times
Florida, particularly the central and southern parts of it.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
Although CA would be high on the list, I believe that NV is possibly the most transient, due to the presence of Las Vegas, and the gambling culture. This also doesn't make for the most stable environment, especially with the concurrent rise in crime in any volatile market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City