Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Before long, all cities, big and small, will have light rail.

Cities love to compete with one another, building the tallest skyscraper, building the biggest sports arena, having the biggest/finest museum, and cities don't like being criticized or embarrassed or shamed.

That, alone, will propel more light rail. I can see it coming: This city bragging about how many rail lines they have, another city bragging their rail cars are fancier or more colorful, another bragging more of their lines go underground, etc. etc.

Tourists will also help to bring this about. As tourists become more addicted to traveling to cities with better mass transit/light rail they'll get spoiled, and begin to demand it in their travels, being met outside the Airport terminal by a train and looking for hotels within a short walk of a train stop, leading to car-less vacations.

I'm taking one in Dec. Gonna try out Dallas' new light rail system, and then onward to Denver, Salt Lake City and Sacramento, and try theirs and compare. I'm getting to that point in my travels: No light rail, no come.

My guesses for future light rail lines: Milwaukee, San Antonio (now that Austin/Dallas/Houston have it, why be left behind?) Cincinnati.

Las Vegas? Oh please! Where people love their cars enough to sleep in them at night?
San Antonio definitely needs to step it up. Especially since they are a tourist attraction with The Alamo and The Riverwalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Seattle. They just opened the first leg of their light rail line from (almost) the airport to downtown, and have future expansion planned to the University District and to the eastside, ending in Redmond. This makes sense because the Seattle - Bellevue - Redmond and Seattle - Northside areas are the most congested in the area.

Seattle sorta had heavy rail but it really only ran along the coast, from downtown Seattle to Everett, and almost nobody took it.
Where did you come up with your information that Seattle sort of had heavy rail?

We still have heavy rail Sounder trains that run between Seattle and Tacoma, and from Seattle to Everett and ridership is booming.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
New York City: Light Rail Proposals

West Shore, Staten Island & North Shore, Staten Island
Staten Island North Shore and West Shore Light Rails | PlanNYC

42nd Street, Manhattan
vision42

Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York City: Light Rail Proposals

West Shore, Staten Island & North Shore, Staten Island
Staten Island North Shore and West Shore Light Rails | PlanNYC

42nd Street, Manhattan
vision42

New York City Subway is too crowded for me. I went there for my birthday in Sept and felt like I was being molested because of all the people. So Some trains above ground on the street, maybe and enhanced streetcar service would help that city.

And whats with the letters and numbers they did not help me. I ended up in The Bronx trying to get to my hotel room in New Jersey. but I did meet some friendly people that helped me

Old 10-22-2009, 01:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
And whats with the letters and numbers they did not help me. I ended up in The Bronx trying to get to my hotel room in New Jersey. but I did meet some friendly people that helped me
Friendly people in NYC? Say it ain't so!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
New York City Subway is too crowded for me. I went there for my birthday in Sept and felt like I was being molested because of all the people. So Some trains above ground on the street, maybe and enhanced streetcar service would help that city.

I've never been on a train that crowded (but I don't take the subway that often), I hope they don't build anymore above ground subways, they are very ugly. The numbers and letter are the different subway lines (ex: the E train goes from the World Trade Center to Jamaica, Queens). The PATH (different subway system) goes from Manhattan to New Jersey, the NYC Subway runs only in 4 boroughs.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Well, KC has some sort of major transit vote ever year or so. The city has voted down light rail like 10 times.

Right now, there is a push to build a commuter rail system using a technology that is a cross between heavy rail and light rail.

http://www.examiner.net/archive/x576548536/g1a919020e85941d3d0ae4fac176a66f8d4ce83bb44a2b8.jp g (broken link)

Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Default It will come to Kansas City, count on it!

You can't trust the car-loving voters on this issue, it's well-documented.

As more Kansas Citians travel to St. Louis and other cities with rail and they actually experience it firsthand, the experience, for many, will follow them back to KC and minds will be changed.

In Minnesota, I was told that there was no support for light rail up there, but Governor Ventura pushed it through regardless of the screams and howls of the voters.

Now, they can't believe they've lived so long without it and this Fall they will be opening a line that will radiate out of downtown to the NE suburbs. A Southwest or St. Paul corridor next?

People get a little taste of it and they become quickly addicted to this new toy in town. Yes, it's a toy, an expensive toy, but aren't all Americans fond of expensive toys?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Hm, Raleigh sounds like a good candidate for light-rail. I'm shocked they don't have one already.
I'm not.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 AM

305 posts, read 771,011 times
This is what L.A. is going to accomplish in the near future:

And the thing is we have about 3 rail lines that we're working on that aren't even on these maps. We hope to get all of these lines built in 30 years (or less if we can procure $$$ for all of these projects).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City