Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern City Destroyed Most of their Historical Architecture?
Minneapolis 17 26.98%
Chicago 16 25.40%
Milwaukee 4 6.35%
St. Louis 13 20.63%
Detroit 16 25.40%
Buffalo 2 3.17%
Pittsburgh 2 3.17%
Cleveland 3 4.76%
Cincinnati 4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:05 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times

Advertisements

That video makes Minneapolis look a bit like London. I lived in the Twin Cities for years and never knew that they once looked like that. What a disaster. The real travesty is that they were torn down for no reason (i.e., they didn't need the space at the time). Most of the buildings in downtown were build long after the destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
My home town of Chicago no doubt, for a while a couple years back there was a good balance between old and new, but things have gone too far now and all these old homes and buildings have been torn down (or are in the process) and replaced with terrible, ugly and tacky condo's that will look outdated in 5-10 years for transplants. There are litterrally entire neighborhoods right now in my city that are nothing but strips and strips of condo complexes. Imagine an ubran twist to a suburban lifestyle, instead of rows of ticky-tacky, cookie cutter houses, it's tick-tacky, cookie cutter condominiums. I'm pretty sure this is the demopgrahic this appeals to as well. It's disgusting, and Chicago is going to hell in a hand basket. I miss the real Chicago, not this fake, steaming pile of crap.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:23 PM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
I apologize to anyone that did not agree with me putting Pittsburgh on the list. I don't like the term Rust Belt, and really I can't think of a good alternative to Midwest.

I wanted to put all the non-East Coast cities that had substantial populations in 1930, that were not located in the West.

Anyway, I see nobody has voted for Pittsburgh, but that's probably because it's not in the Midwest, because Pitt has destroyed plenty of historical architecture as well.

I'm sure how to change the title of the thread ... and if I could change it, I don't know what I call it.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
You missed Columbus on your list, and there is practically no city that I've known that has done a better job destroying its historical architecture than Columbus.
Doing everything I can in my power not to hi-jack this thread and show how ridiciulously Boston was raped by Urban Renewal....

Old 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Go ahead and hi-jack the thread and show us how much Boston raped itself.

Do people actually get offended if someone new wants to enter the discussion? And it's considered poor etiquette?

Go for it

I'm even starting to regret the title, I should have just made it for the entire US...

Old 10-23-2009, 03:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Doing everything I can in my power not to hi-jack this thread and show how ridiciulously Boston was raped by Urban Renewal....
why don't you just start a thread???

Old 10-23-2009, 06:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
I apologize to anyone that did not agree with me putting Pittsburgh on the list. I don't like the term Rust Belt, and really I can't think of a good alternative to Midwest.

I wanted to put all the non-East Coast cities that had substantial populations in 1930, that were not located in the West.

Anyway, I see nobody has voted for Pittsburgh, but that's probably because it's not in the Midwest, because Pitt has destroyed plenty of historical architecture as well.

I'm sure how to change the title of the thread ... and if I could change it, I don't know what I call it.
You do realize Minneapolis isn't a Rust Belt city? Duluth and cities located in the Iron Range could be considered Rust Belt cities, but Minneapolis and St. Paul are not.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
St. Louis doesn't have townhouses? lol.
Lol. You must have reading issues.

If you can show me St. Louis townhouses (still standing) as spectacular as that, I'll take back what I said.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
This might just be the most beautiful row i have ever seen

Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM

205 posts, read 479,206 times
Ohh hindsight. It's easy to look back and see how devastating our urban renewal was to the architecture of our cities here in the U.S. in the 50s and 60s.

I could link hundreds upon hundreds of buildings that were torn down here in Buffalo that were architecturally stunning. Everything from the Frank Loyd Wright Larkin Building to tearing out a Olmsted designed parkway for an Expressway.

Rustbelt/midwestern cities have had a very turbulent decade. White flight, population loss, disinvestment, subsided suburbs, the explosion of cars and everything that comes along with it(roads, highways, expressways, disinvestment of public transport) and just a general disinvestment in cities in general.

It's not cut and dry though is it? Nothing to be upset over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City