Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best described as?
Underrated in real life 2 3.13%
Underrated on this forum 9 14.06%
Overrated in real life 7 10.94%
Overrated on this forum 0 0%
Underrated in both real life and forum 29 45.31%
Overrated in both real life and forum 11 17.19%
Overrated in real life, underrated on this forum 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

Look, I've never been there before and frankly have no interest in going but it's still an American city. Is it not? I mean it's in the United States but we overlook it in our skyline, culture, climate, beaches, diversity, scenery comparisons. It presently has one of the healthiest job markets in the entire country and is positioned well on the Pacific Rim going into the future, I suppose.

So what cities on the mainland could we most compare to the place? Why does everyone seem to think "it's just a vacation spot, not a real city"? I mean it has 1 million people, while a far cry from a large city, megacity, and especially a hypercity but people still do live there.

So based off it's qualities what cities would it compare most favorably with? Why do we overlook it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
The only city I can think of that even remotely compares to it is Vancouver. If I had to pick a US city, maybe San Francisco? (without the rest of the bay area of course).

Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I think it's more comparable to the Floridian cities and San Diego.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
So based off it's qualities what cities would it compare most favorably with? Why do we overlook it?
Honolulu is probably overlooked for similar reasons that Anchorage is. The bigger cities arn't the first thing that come to mind when thinking of the 49th and 50th states. My only experience with Hawaii was the island of Maui and if given the choice to go back between Maui again or Oahu/Honolulu, I'd pick Maui. The backdrop scenery looks gorgeous in Honolulu but the infrastructure and architecture of the city itself in photos doesn't look all that impressive and an urban experience is not my idea of a Hawaiian experience.

Aside from the stretch of Waikiki hotels and Pearl Harbor how many are truely familiar with the urban fabric of Honolulu. What is the true essence of the city itself? One poster here compared Honolulu to Vancouver as a mainland North American counterpart and I suppose that may be true to a point with several blocks a residential high/midrises, strong Pacific Rim connections, and the mountain/ocean setting.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-04-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Hawaii and Alaska aren't really American

Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Always hear about Hawaii as a vacation state and never really hear about anyone living there for an extended period of time. And then of course, my stereotyped image of a native Hawaiian is someone with grass shorts and tribal tattoos. I know it wouldn't be accurate, but honestly it seems like a world away.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
The elephant in the room is that is so dang far. Out of sight, out of mind; same thing happens with Denver too (to a lesser extent). Cali people talk about Vegas, Chicagoans can vouch for Minnesota, but how many folks on city-data have hung out in Honolulu for more than just a resort/beach vacation? My guess is much less than the amount that go to Toronto.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
The elephant in the room is that is so dang far. Out of sight, out of mind; same thing happens with Denver too (to a lesser extent). Cali people talk about Vegas, Chicagoans can vouch for Minnesota, but how many folks on city-data have hung out in Honolulu for more than just a resort/beach vacation? My guess is much less than the amount that go to Toronto.
On the West Coast, I'd say far more people have spent time in Honolulu than Toronto(or most Midwestern or Southern cities). Maybe what you're saying is true for the rest of the country, but I've known plenty of people with roots in Hawaii now living in California or Oregon.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
On the West Coast, I'd say far more people have spent time in Honolulu than Toronto(or most Midwestern or Southern cities). Maybe what you're saying is true for the rest of the country, but I've known plenty of people with roots in Hawaii now living in California or Oregon.
Interesting. I am definitely speaking from an east coast perspective. I know many folks that have spent time on the Caribbean, Canada, even Mexico but can only think of one person that has spent time in Honolulu and that was because they knew someone that was stationed in Hawaii. Honolulu is literally twice as far as Europe from here.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Look, I've never been there before and frankly have no interest in going but it's still an American city.
If you have never been there why would you vote that it's overrated in real life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City