Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 AM

321 posts, read 720,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Houston is definitely on the upswing. The inner core (inside the 610 Inner Loop) is actually increasing in population density with a lot of professionals getting sick of their long commutes from suburban towns on the crowded highways. Also, the rudiments of a train system (one stretch done, 3 or 4 more in a couple or three years) in the city of Houston are finally making it somewhat pedestrian friendly and concentrating the entertainment. In this recession and job-free climb out of recession Houston is doing well with both it's usual oil and gas business and increasingly alternative/green energy solutions and hi-tech medical . Population for both the city and the metro has grown significantly. The population increased more than 950,000 from the last to next to last censuses (1990-2000) despite an oil bust during much of that period. It is estimated to have increased another 900,000 + from 2000-2007 and add nearly 2 MILLION from now until 2030. (Woods and Poole Economic Forecast for Houston Metropolitan Area).
I can see Houston moving up, It just needs a denser population that will use public transit. I was there for the superbowl and the transit was an embarrassment (for someone who has lived in Boston and Chicago). Houston has the jobs, the space, and the willingness for progress though for sure...

A few other thoughts:

Pittsburgh to me has turned a corner and has a bright future. The economy has diversified into insurance and higher ed, and has become a young, vibrant city.

Providence has a cloudy future and could go either way. The unemployment in R.I has no clear solutions, though Providences colleges and proximity to Boston and Hartford will help.

Chicago under Daley will continue to strive be eye catching to tourists and business, while ignoring its own people (unless they are very rich) and horrific crime rates.

Philly needs to tackle some serious city hall issues, and if they dont will be heading way, way down. Philly has the potential to really be something special though, but not if the libraries (founded by ben franklin) are closed...

breckenridge colorado will certainly be high soon.

tulsa seems to be on the upswing.

Development in the DC Metro should be peaking soon as it is approaching infrastructural overload, but can soon probably look forward to having far lower violent crime rates in the city proper.

New Orleans is certainly on the up.

Vegas seems to have hit rock bottom, and there's nowhere but up- tourism should go up steadily every year for the next 5 or 6 and forclosures in the metro should have already peaked.

Atlanta should stagnate- the infrastructure is overloaded, the crime is out of control, though the metro continues to be a hub for trade conferences and airlines, which should neither grow nor recede in coming years.

well, i guess thats all for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
^^^ Houston is defiantly on the up swing. As for dense population city center, all of the pieces are in play to make that happen: rapidly growing population, a stable and growing (I think) economy, a job creating machine, a corporate power house, the city focusing on creating densely populated areas inside the Loop, rising cost for land inside the loop, and the developing a quality public transportation system.

I completely agree with you list. I would add Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, McAllen TX, Oklahoma City, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, and Denver are on the upswing. I agree Pittsburgh is in for a boom as well if they can find a way to attract jobs and development.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 12,777 times
I would agree with others and say that Chicago is going downhill the most.

Chicago has suffered the highest population loss in the country, and soon will be surpassed by Houston in population.

Chicago just finished in last place in the Olympics competition, because of concerns of racism and public safety.

Chicago is losing Oprah and many others, due to related concerns.

Chicago lost its Governor recently to Federal Prison, and is about to lose its Mayor to Federal Prison.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:02 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
what whites really want deep down in their souls is to have all white areas to live with all white schools and neighborhood communities.
Speak for yourself. Maybe you and your white friends want that. A lot of us don't.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpena_Pete View Post
I would agree with others
I think you mean you agree with yourself.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM

8 posts, read 12,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I think you mean you agree with yourself.
No, I mean I agree with the many others that say that Chicago is declining the fastest of any city.

It's so bad, their Mayor either got mugged or in a fight this week! He has a black eye and nasty marks on his face!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
No, I mean I agree with the many others
...who all joined today, have fewer than 10 posts, no reputation points, and are making identical comments about Chicago.

Like I said, you're agreeing with yourself.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Of course whites that want all white areas of their own are accused of being racist while other ethnic groups that form their own areas exclusive of other races and cultures arn't accused of racism. Problem with whites is that we have to wake up and not let the political correctness forced down our throats by the anti white creeps.
Well that's the definition of racist...or just plain dumb. The problem I have is that somewhere down the line Ol' Massa decided to act on his impulses with one of my ancestors--explaining my European lineage. Where would I and most African Americans fit into that equation since most of us have "white blood" flowing through our veins?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Chicago has suffered the highest population loss in the country
You have a source for that one? Lots of cities have suffered population losses, particularly since the 50's/60's due to lower household sizes and the pull of the suburbs, but I don't know about Chicago having suffered the highest population loss. Even if so, the metro area continues to grow.

Quote:
Chicago just finished in last place in the Olympics competition, because of concerns of racism and public safety.
If that was the case, the Olympics wouldn't have gone to Rio de Janeiro because those problems are multiplied several times over there.

Quote:
Chicago is losing Oprah and many others, due to related concerns.
Oprah leaving Chicago? Haven't heard that one. At any rate, I fail to see how that demonstrates that Chicago is going "downhill" more than several other cities out there.

Quote:
Chicago lost its Governor recently to Federal Prison, and is about to lose its Mayor to Federal Prison.
Chicago doesn't have a governor. Haven't heard about Daley possibly going to prison, but if so, he won't be the first.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Chicago has suffered the highest population loss in the country...
Oh, baloney! Take a look at cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, St. Louis... all of which have lost over half their population since their 1950 peak.

In the same time period, Chicago lost only one-fourth its population, and the 2000 census showed it gaining again. True, recent Census estimates show Chicago losing population once more, but not by all that much... and those "estimates" may well turn out to be inaccurate when the actual Census is taken in 2010.

As for your other points, I'm not even going to bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City