Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Public school is free. They can go, learn, graduate, etc. But many CHOOSE not to. Lots of people are in single family households, all races. Maybe the parent should stick around and help raise their kid instead of taking off?
I'm stating a lot of inner cities have poor schools and parents who aren't around to enforce any kind of obedience. I'm not sure what the point of your post is really. It's nearly impossible for someone to disagree that crime is directly related to socioeconomic factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I'm stating a lot of inner cities have poor schools and parents who aren't around to enforce any kind of obedience. I'm not sure what the point of your post is really. It's nearly impossible for someone to disagree that crime is directly related to socioeconomic factors.
I agree... mostly. But socioeconomic factors dont pull triggers. People do.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Crime is caused because a lack of self control.
It is impossible that crime is directly related to socioeconomic factors.

I'm not saying that socioeconomic factors don't play a big role in crime, but if someone really wanted to be a good civilian they would do it... but then there's the phycos.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:33 PM

It doesn't help when you have 18 year old with the reading level of a 7th grader and the maturity of one as well. Obviously, poor/immature young males with no guidance or education are not going to make the most sound decisions.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Public school is free. They can go, learn, graduate, etc. But many CHOOSE not to. Lots of people are in single family households, all races. Maybe the parent should stick around and help raise their kid instead of taking off?
Please comsense, use your common sense. Nothing is free

Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Anyone, any race can attend public school. There's free lunch available, books are free, and the classes are free. No reason why someone couldn't attend school.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 AM

218 posts, read 1,240,645 times
Quote:
I completely agree. I guess it's not P.C. to talk about crime stats and how they relate to race. What is it, like AA's make up 65 or 70% of crime in the USA and yet there are only 20% of the population? Dont quote me on those exact numbers, but it's something close. The stats are out there and easily obtainable, but let's not step on any toes.
I believe according to official stats, they're about 12% of the population and commit about 50% of crime.

Quote:
It's about the reason behind those numbers like socioeconomic factors, schooling, and one parent households that intelligent people look into... but if you want to go ahead and look purely at stats -- go for it. Check out Russia's while you're at it.

Cleveland is going down? Any factual support... or is it just another post from BPerone downing Cleveland. The city of Cleveland actually has a LOT going for it lately. Here are some readings you should (but won't) check out.

Cleveland rocks - The Sun Chronicle Online - Features
http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/09/20...l/20hours.html
Socioeconomic factors (poverty, conditions of schools and such nearby) are a factor, however other poor groups who are often congregated in inner cities face these problems too yet do not have as high a crime rate as blacks. Hispanics for instance would be an example of that. Their crime rate is higher than the average, but nowhere near as high as blacks' on average. They are also poorer than blacks, per capita.

I think culture accounts for the remaining discrepancy, and sort of a self fulfilling prophecy that results from the culture itself. Mainstream white society plays a part by believing in stereotypes and practicing racism, but I do not believe it is as huge a factor as most people on the left claim it is. Gangster/ghetto culture itself is the biggest factor that counts for the difference between per capita crime rates of blacks and other poor inner city minorities.

I admit that societal prejudice and socioeconomic adversity are factors, so I don't see why people on the left shouldn't be able to admit that self perpetuating gangster/ghetto culture are factors too, and that the conditions in American ghettos are at least partly the fault of many of those who live inside them (and by that, I mean the CRIMINAL element).

As for Cleveland, it's one of the few American cities where crime rates are actually going up these days.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
What kills me is that what are we talking about when we say "crime"? What about the many alcohol related deaths we have each year that kill people and could have been avoided? So, be careful as to using the percentages of "crime" and race, as it will depend on one's criteria. Especially when the rate of the larger group going to prison is going up and of some other groups going down.

Also, people forget that family structure plays a very big part in things like this. Considering that dynamic in relation to particular groups in this country, some have seemed to have had an advantage in that as well, in spite of the other things that have hit the society as a whole in that regard. We are still seeing the legacy of that and the other factors playing out today.

As for the original topic, I think many cities are at a standstill due to the economy. Some are still making out good like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, while some like Phoenix, Charlotte and Las Vegas have been hit hard recently.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
All public schools are free....but not all are of the same level of quality.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
I believe according to official stats, they're about 12% of the population and commit about 50% of crime.

Socioeconomic factors (poverty, conditions of schools and such nearby) are a factor, however other poor groups who are often congregated in inner cities face these problems too yet do not have as high a crime rate as blacks. Hispanics for instance would be an example of that. Their crime rate is higher than the average, but nowhere near as high as blacks' on average. They are also poorer than blacks, per capita.

I think culture accounts for the remaining discrepancy, and sort of a self fulfilling prophecy that results from the culture itself. Mainstream white society plays a part by believing in stereotypes and practicing racism, but I do not believe it is as huge a factor as most people on the left claim it is. Gangster/ghetto culture itself is the biggest factor that counts for the difference between per capita crime rates of blacks and other poor inner city minorities.

I admit that societal prejudice and socioeconomic adversity are factors, so I don't see why people on the left shouldn't be able to admit that self perpetuating gangster/ghetto culture are factors too, and that the conditions in American ghettos are at least partly the fault of many of those who live inside them (and by that, I mean the CRIMINAL element).

As for Cleveland, it's one of the few American cities where crime rates are actually going up these days.
I understand a lot of what you are saying.. but how does your explanation of Blacks committing more crime relate to Russia or the Philippines? Both countries with a much larger crime problem then the US. Or to a lesser extent -- Scotland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City