Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times

Advertisements

This guy is so disturbed he even has gone to the New Orleans forum this morning to complain about and rip on Chicago. I advise to ignore all of his posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
I am Chicago now. Not liking it at all. I moved from Maryland. I miss it. I miss the charm of Charm City (Baltimore). I miss the East Coast. Outside of Chicago, it is still the mid-west. Unappealing site!

What is this New Orleans thing I keep hearing that some people there or have been there miss it, New Orleans "calling them back", what is all this? What's so good about that place. I'm considering a move out of Chicago. This place is average.

Is NO affordable? It should be compared to Chicago or any NE cities. Will car insurance be high in NO?

People always talk about the food in their city. Like Chicagoans talk about how great Chicago Pizza is. It is good, but anyone from Alabama can emulate a Chicago Pizza with the right ingredients/oven/and chef. It has NOTHING to do with regional base at all. Baltimore has crab cakes. Baltimoreans don't brag about it as much as Chicagoans brag about their pizzas. Crab cakes can be packed by Murray's and shipped anywhere, then you fry it. Good food is not based on region. I've seen on this forum some people in New Orleans brag about their food, etc. but what else is really special about NO? Is it the overall atmosphere of the city? The people? Is it the debauchery? The STDs? What is it?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...me-people.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This guy is so disturbed he even has gone to the New Orleans forum this morning to complain about and rip on Chicago. I advise to ignore all of his posts.

..agreed; apparently "movingsomewhere" misses "STDs" and "debauchery"; I think a kind soul in Chicago should drive this person to O'Hare with a one-way ticket....

Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..agreed; apparently "movingsomewhere" misses "STDs" and "debauchery"; I think a kind soul in Chicago should drive this person to O'Hare with a one-way ticket....
I think there are a few kind souls that would drive him to Lake Michigan with concrete shoes and a one way ticket if they were to read some of his posts and were having a bad day.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:06 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Charming ghettos? haha nice oxymoron

I guess you're referring to the historic architecture that Baltimore's ghetto offers, and i guess id agree i prefer it to Chicagos

Chicago's more Worldly; they aren't very comparable. They are Both very American though!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
lmao @ charming ghettos. Live there and see how "charming" it can get..

Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:

I'm getting a real dementoreuros1take2etc.etc.etc. vibe from this movingsomewhere poster. It is not a new alias-- they in fact are searate and distinct entities, but they could be all related. I'm gonna watch this play out with (feigned) interest.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:

That's funny. Most of my family is from MD, some Baltimore. They brag about crabcakes there. But they're right! Its a part of their culture, and you can definitely not get crab cakes in Chicago anywhere close to as good as you can in Maryland.

Same with pizza, italian beef, and hot dogs here.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Baltimore is, quite possibly, the most dilapidated city in America; to call it " charming" is disingenuous at best, terribly misleading at worst.
For the record I would choose Chicago too, but...

I wonder if, making that statement, you've ever actually set foot *in* Baltimore? Yes, its dilapidated areas are well-known, but there are a host of lovely neighborhoods that are an absolute pleasure to spend time in. Federal Hill, Mount Vernon, Fells Point, Canton, Hampden, Charles Village, Patterson Park, Inner Harbor, Bolton Hill, Butchers Hill, Little Italy...that, combined with the abundant and lovely historical architecture make Baltimore quite livable.

Now, compared with Chicago, as I said I'd pick Chicago quite easily. But your comments about Baltimore are both ignorant and misinformed.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 PM

141 posts, read 479,961 times
Quote:

Why do people trool anyway?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
Anyone here been in either city and know much about it? Care to make comparisons? I live in Chicago now. I lived in MD for the last ten years or so and do miss Baltimore. Chicago looks great...in pictures. Baltimore City is truly Charm City both real and in pictures. Both has its ghettos, Chicago's look far depressing for a city its magnitude/diversity/and so on compared to Baltimore's. The ghettos in the South Side Chicago looks absolutely flat and boring, after all it's the plains/midwest. Baltimore's "hoods" has charm, even HBO's "The Wire" captures this essence.

Comment on without bashing.

I've only been to Baltimore a few times, and enjoyed it, but........you made the most baited and opinionated comments, then finished with:

Comment on without bashing

What if it had started with:

Anyone here been in either city and know much about it? Care to make comparisons? I live in Baltimore now. I lived in the Midwest for the last ten years or so and do miss Chicago. Baltimore looks great...in pictures. Chicago is truly amazing though, both real and in pictures. Both have their ghettos, Baltimore's look far depressing for a city with its history/location/and so on compared to Chicago's. The ghettos in the Baltimore looks absolutely run-down and boring, after all it's the forgotten part of the Northeast. Chicago's "hoods" have density and just feel alive, just compare how many movies are set in one compared to the other.

Comment on without bashing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City