Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM

48 posts, read 117,132 times

Advertisements

Alright, well I just found this board, and I'm glad I did. I am about to graduate college with a Comp Info Systems with a Network Admin focus. My wife has already graduated with her undergrad in Elem Ed and is about to have her Masters in Education. We have a daughter who will be in 1st grade so, schools are important. Some of our things we are looking for are good schools, either public or private; perfer to live in a more urban area, we aren't really into the whole suburbs thing; weather matters some, but more important is culture, history, and outdoor activities. We are also avid sports fans so we would enjoy being able to see some sports. Again, I'm not looking for a bunch of flaming and attacking, just please state your thoughts and try not to attack other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Texas would probably be far less of a culture shock than the other places mentioned.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
I agree... Dallas/Houston sounds better suited for what you want.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
Top 3 in each of your categories:

Tech Jobs:

1. Seattle
2. Boston
3. Dallas

Education Jobs:

1. Boston
2. Seattle
3. Chicago

Public/Private Education:

1. Boston
2. Seattle
3. Denver

Urban Living:

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Seattle

Weather (assuming you enjoy warm weather):

1. San Diego
2. Dallas
3. Houston

Culture:

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Houston

History:

1. Boston
2. Chicago
3. Tie

Outdoor Activities:

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. Boston

Professional Sports:

1. Boston
2. Chicago
3. Dallas

Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
"Urban" and "good schools" is a problematic combo here in Chicago and vicinity unless you have big bucks. I'd focus your search elsewhere.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
^^^Well in Houston, you can find urban neighborhoods that have good schools such as Mantrose, Uptown, and the Rice Village. Dallas and Fort Worth have a few similar neighborhoods as well. Although those neighborhoods can get pricey, I'm sure they are not nearly as much a nice urban neighborhood in Chicago. But it's a give and take because Houston isn't nearly as urban as Chicago.

As for outdoors, I believe Houston has more sq ft of park area than any other major city in the US. Dallas also has several beautiful lake areas. Both cities have an impressive museum/theater districts that are internationally renowned. There are some very good public schools in both cities as well, but also some very bad ones. It depends on where you live. Mantrose, Uptown, Rice Village, and Bellaire whould be good places for schools (but are also expensive relative to the rest of the city) in Houston.

Some people had mention Houston and Dallas would be your best options so I thought I would provide some info. I think Denver might have everything your looking for. I'm not sure about the schools in Denver and weather can get pretty bad, but the city seems to offer everything else your looking for.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 PM

259 posts, read 543,422 times
No there are many good schools in chicago located in urban areas.....morgan park...whitney young...chas...john hope etc...many more

Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
No there are many good schools in chicago located in urban areas.....morgan park...whitney young...chas...john hope etc...many more
Morgan Park is a "good school" in the sense that "it doesn't quite suck as much as your average CPS school but can barely compete with a run-of-the-mill suburban school." Whitney Young is an extremely competitive magnet school and they have a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting their kid in there. I have no idea what the hell "Chas" is. And John Hope is in Englewood for chrissake. Are you freakin' high or something?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndAmelia View Post
Alright, well I just found this board, and I'm glad I did. I am about to graduate college with a Comp Info Systems with a Network Admin focus. My wife has already graduated with her undergrad in Elem Ed and is about to have her Masters in Education. We have a daughter who will be in 1st grade so, schools are important. Some of our things we are looking for are good schools, either public or private; perfer to live in a more urban area, we aren't really into the whole suburbs thing; weather matters some, but more important is culture, history, and outdoor activities. We are also avid sports fans so we would enjoy being able to see some sports. Again, I'm not looking for a bunch of flaming and attacking, just please state your thoughts and try not to attack other cities.
Out of the cities you mentioned, Boston is at or near the top of every category. Boston is (obviously) great for education. This is true for both employment for your wife, and the education for your daughter, whether it be in public or private school.

For outdoor activities, Seattle and Denver are probably superior to Boston, but Boston is no slouch with Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and Newport, Rhode Island for beaches, and New Hampshire and Vermont for woodsy activities.

Boston and Seattle are about equal for Tech jobs, while Boston and Chicago are about tied for Culture. In terms of history, there's obviously no competition with Boston. Boston is also arguably the best sports city in the country, with the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins all being extremely competitive, and having great success so far this decade.

Boston and Chicago are easily the most urban cities out of the group. Both are very walkable and have great urban transportation. If you're not going to live in the actual city, and preferred to live in an inner-suburb, Boston has great cities like Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Watertown, Somerville , Quincy, and Milton surrounding it.

Good luck in making your decision!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
As for outdoors, I believe Houston has more sq ft of park area than any other major city in the US.
That may be true, but let's not forget that Houston is so physically large it can easily fit Boston, Chicago, Seattle, and Denver...with more than enough room for San Francisco.

Parkland as a percentage of city land:

San Diego: 21.5%
Seattle: 11.3%
Denver: 8.2%
Boston: 17.7%
Dallas: 9.9%
Chicago: 8.2%
Houston: 14.1%

So Houston is a very impressive park city, but it's not as if those other cities are slouches.

The link I provided is actually a list of "America's Best Cities for Outdoors", so it may be worth a look for the thread starter. However, it's a Forbes Ranking, which people love to bash, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 10-28-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City