Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,977,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo520 View Post
PHX is not getting bigger.
Yes, it is. Arizona is still the fastest growing state in the country. A lot of that growth is in the Phoenix area. Gilbert, a suburb of Phoenix, issued 1000 residential building permits so far this year. Where else has that happened? Not too many places.

Quote:
The unfinished developments on the outskirts are sad reminders that they way overshot it in PHX.
There are unfinished developments in all cities that overbuilt before the economy went south.

Quote:
The place is artificial. They have banks and gas stations on highway corners out there where you would expect neighborhoods to follow. Instead its only the paved entrance to a would-be subdivison. I've seen so many unfilled strip malls all over the place. If a gigantic, unsustainble and artificial strip mall of a 'city' appeals to people then so be it. But i dont see it happening in the long run...
If Phoenix is so horrible, why have you come here to observe the enless strip malls? If I hate a place, I'm not going to waste my time going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:48 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,977,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
One problem with your post. Atlanta was never in a situation where it would lose it's water supply. We went through a 100 year drought. It can happen anywhere and it happens in the South in intervals. We'll have a few years of drought, then a few years of massive rainfall. This year alone we've had more rain than all the previous 5 years total. It's the to the point now where all the rivers and lakes in North Georgia are at near flood stage when it rains, which is about every other day.
Atlanta Water Situation Called Dire - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=104561 - broken link)....

Where were you? This predicted that metro Atlanta was on the verge of running out of drinking water in a 4 month period. So, yes, you were about to lose your water supply...

It was only a couple years before that when Atlanta was continuously hit by remnants of hurricanes, resulting in the wettest July ever.

So this idea that Atlanta will NEVER have water issues again because of wet periods every now and then is illogical.

Quote:
I repeat, Atlanta will not run out of water. The last few years was just a wake up call to use it more efficiently.
Let's hope that's the case. Reduced water usage has recently taken center stage in Phoenix, as well. It needs to be known that even if you do not live in a desert, water conservation is necessary.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post

So this idea that Atlanta will NEVER have water issues again because of wet periods every now and then is illogical.
No, it isn't illogical. Atlanta's water issues were brought on by a 500 year drought (i.e. a drought so severe it only happens every 500 years). Atlanta normally gets more than 50" of rainfall per year, which is more than enough to replenish the reservoirs.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And I seem to remember MANY people taking issue with Atlanta's growth in relationship to the water issues. I had many a lively online discussion on that very topic. People still mention it at times when they are trying to bad-mouth Atlanta.
Wow. That sounds serious. Has the city found an additional water supply? Sense Atlanta is growing as fast as it is, it seems like this will be a huge problem if the city goes through another drought. I would think there is enough lakes an rivers in Georgia to supply enough water for an enormous population.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:06 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Wow. That sounds serious. Has the city found an additional water supply? Sense Atlanta is growing as fast as it is, it seems like this will be a huge problem if the city goes through another drought. I would think there is enough lakes an rivers in Georgia to supply enough water for an enormous population.
There is enough water in Georgia...the drought in North Georgia (as I stated in my last post) was a 500-year drought. It was very severe - severe enough to threaten Atlanta's water supply. Any city that was in the middle of that kind of drought would end up having the same or similar issue.

It was a serious situation, but only because of the severity of the drought. We shouldn't see anything like it again for another 500 years.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 AM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Atlanta Water Situation Called Dire - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=104561 - broken link)....

Where were you? This predicted that metro Atlanta was on the verge of running out of drinking water in a 4 month period. So, yes, you were about to lose your water supply...

It was only a couple years before that when Atlanta was continuously hit by remnants of hurricanes, resulting in the wettest July ever.

Let's hope that's the case. Reduced water usage has recently taken center stage in Phoenix, as well. It needs to be known that even if you do not live in a desert, water conservation is necessary.
Where was I? Here in Atlanta. I was also here when it was found out a few months later that the prediction was overly pessimistic. Besides, isn't it obvious it wasn't true since here it is 2 years since that article was published and the city never ran out of water? Hmmmmm.....

Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There is enough water in Georgia...the drought in North Georgia (as I stated in my last post) was a 500-year drought. It was very severe - severe enough to threaten Atlanta's water supply. Any city that was in the middle of that kind of drought would end up having the same or similar issue.

It was a serious situation, but only because of the severity of the drought. We shouldn't see anything like it again for another 500 years.
I wonder if people are aware that Atlanta is not in a desert?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 AM

549 posts, read 1,552,310 times
Quote:
I wonder if people are aware that Atlanta is not in a desert?
It's in a cultural desert.

Kidding! Kidding!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
it's in a cultural desert.

Kidding! Kidding!
lol

Old 10-30-2009, 12:23 PM

721 posts, read 1,785,348 times
This list isn't reliable at all. New York, Chicago, and L.A will be over there estimates for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City