Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,823 times

Advertisements

So many bands so many great city scenes. I'd put Los Angeles in any top 5 historically:

To Name Just a Few:
Beach Boys, The Byrds, The Doors, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, X, Black Flag, The Germs, The Minutemen, Jane's Addiction, Van Halen, Guns N Roses, Beck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 02:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
I would say LA is number one. Followed by NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, and the Bay Area over all. Others that are good in one or two Genres include:

1) Boston for its excellent Metalcore scene
2) Dallas for its excellent Metal (particularly black and death metal) and techno/rave scene
3) Houston for its excellent rap scene
4) Seattle for its role in developing alternative rock to what it is today
5) DC for its contributions to punk rock
6) New Orleans for its jazz and rap
7) Memphis for its blues
8) Miami for its Latin Music and techno scene

Old 10-31-2009, 02:38 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Well I tried to crate a Best State of this same thread but it was shut down.Was told I had to do it here so here it is.What is the Best State?
US City with best Music Scene?i asked this question because when I thought about Atlanta ,I realized that many of the greatest artist are from Georgia,but not always Atlanta.

Macon:
Little Richard
Otis Redding
The Allman Bros.

YouTube - Otis Redding- (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
Albany:
Ray Charles

YouTube - Georgia on my Mind- Ray Charles
Augusta:

YouTube - Jessye Norman on 60 Minutes 1/2
James Brown
Madame Jesseye Norman(opera)I find it incredible that she came from such a rural environment at the time to become revered by Kings and Queens and a national treasure in France.

Athens:
R.E.M.
B-52's

Columbus:
Gertrude "Ma" Rainey "Mother of the Blues"
Dallas Austin

Savannah:
Johnny Mercer:One of Americas most celebrated composers

Thomason:
Blind Willie Mctell Blues pioneer

Those are not even the one from Atlanta

Old 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I tried to crate a Best State of this same thread but it was shut down.Was told I had to do it here so here it is.What is the Best State?
US City with best Music Scene?i asked this question because when I thought about Atlanta ,I realized that many of the greatest artist are from Georgia,but not always Atlanta.

Macon:
Little Richard
Otis Redding
The Allman Bros.

YouTube - Otis Redding- (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
Albany:
Ray Charles

YouTube - Georgia on my Mind- Ray Charles
Augusta:

YouTube - Jessye Norman on 60 Minutes 1/2
James Brown
Madame Jesseye Norman(opera)I find it incredible that she came from such a rural environment at the time to become revered by Kings and Queens and a national treasure in France.

Athens:
R.E.M.
B-52's

Columbus:
Gertrude "Ma" Rainey "Mother of the Blues"
Dallas Austin

Savannah:
Johnny Mercer:One of Americas most celebrated composers

Thomason:
Blind Willie Mctell Blues pioneer

Those are not even the one from Atlanta
Don't forget Millie Jackson!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Don't forget Millie Jackson!
Oh yeh I did forget!I met her when I was a server at Applebee;s 10 years ago!!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Oh yeh I did forget!I met her when I was a server at Applebee;s 10 years ago!!
My mom loves her lol

Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
You are SOO right. Atlanta and the State of Georgia as a whole has always and still does excelled at creating musical talent of all genres but is only known by many today for Southern Hip Hop.

You're also right about New York and L.A. (tho not so sure about Chicago)
Two cities that people that developed their talent mostly somewhere else move to get a record deal. (With the exception of course of Hip Hop artist from New York.)

YouTube - The Chi-Lites - Oh Girl

YouTube - The Impressions - I Gotta Keep on Movin'

YouTube - Lou Rawls "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine"

YouTube - Bo Diddley Rock n' Roll

YouTube - Muddy Waters - Rollin' Stone

YouTube - R. Kelly - Step In The Name Of Love

Old 10-31-2009, 04:20 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
Nashville has an awesome music scene for its size. It isn't all about Country, though that is our bread and butter! Kings of Leon and Paramore are just a couple of the recent non-country bands to come out of the city.

We also have the historic Ryman Auditorium which has been rated as having the second best acoustics in the world. It's a must play venue for any star musician.

It's the city of dreams for musicians.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:39 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
And although memphis is credited big time for blues...it all isnt memphis its actually the mississippi delta area that created and contributed to blues

Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Chicago benefited more than any other city when it comes to music by virture that it was right up the Mississippi River from MS.Mississippi is the most underated state in the U.S. when it comes to our musical heritage.Bo Diddley,Muddy Waters,Jerry Butler were all born in MS ,but made Chicago their home.The richness of the Chicgo musical heritage is directly tied ti the misforturns of thousands of blacks that made their way from the Delta's oppression.Where would Chi-Town be without it?
Sam Cooke-MS born,Chicago raised.ALL TIME FAVORITE of just about ANY ARTIST.COUNTRY,R/B,Rock so many people influenced by him.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXR5tuqLGOc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City