Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Chicago benefited more than any other city when it comes to music by virture that it was right up the Mississippi River from MS.Mississippi is the most underated state in the U.S. when it comes to our musical heritage.Bo Diddley,Muddy Waters,Jerry Butler were all born in MS ,but made Chicago their home.The richness of the Chicgo musical heritage is directly tied ti the misforturns of thousands of blacks that made their way from the Delta's oppression.Where would Chi-Town be without it?
Sam Cooke-MS born,Chicago raised.ALL TIME FAVORITE of just about ANY ARTIST.COUNTRY,R/B,Rock so many people influenced by him.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXR5tuqLGOc
agreed. louisiana also had some influence on the chicago scene. esp. with buddy guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Uh.....are people basing list off just one genre of music; or the overall music scene? Anyways, outside of NYC and LA; The cities I know that have a pretty good music scene are Austin, Dallas, Denver, and Atlanta.
Denver? I moved to Minneapolis from Denver and MPLS. kicks 10 different kinds of crap out of Denver when it comes to local music. Both cities do very well when it comes to attracting national and indie bands (i.e. Red Rocks (Denver) and First Avenue and the 7th Street Entry (Minneapolis)).

IMO, Minneapolis also takes Austin and Dallas and is on par with Atlanta.

Last edited by BlackOut; 10-31-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Current scene:

1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. New York
4. Boston
5. San Francisco

In History:

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. New York
4. Memphis
5. New Orleans
6. Chicago
7. St. Louis
8. Nashville
9. Seattle
10. Philadelphia
Neither Seattle or Portland top NYC. Not even close.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Denver? who's from Denver that makes it a great music scene?
There are a few bands out of Denver that have become popular, but unfortunately for Denver, a lot of bands have left for other cities. Its scene will catch on eventually, but as of right now, it's not that impressive.

the Flobots - possibly one of the most overrated bands of all time
the Fray - super cheesie
Devotchka - damn good band

Last edited by BlackOut; 10-31-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 06:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
I live in Chicago and I don't think it has a great music scene. I haven't experienced first-hand the scenes of many other cities, but what I've heard about other cities blows Chicago out of the water. I'd expect that smaller cities would have less music going on, but when balancing it out on a per-capita basis, I think Chicago would come out pretty weak.

Obviously it was influential in the past, but even the music genres that the city is famous for are basically gone from here.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM

The map below represents US musical centers and American music diversity. As you can see it lists NYC, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, Minneapolis, Austin, Nashville, and several other legitimate music scenes.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I live in Chicago and I don't think it has a great music scene. I haven't experienced first-hand the scenes of many other cities, but what I've heard about other cities blows Chicago out of the water. I'd expect that smaller cities would have less music going on, but when balancing it out on a per-capita basis, I think Chicago would come out pretty weak.

Obviously it was influential in the past, but even the music genres that the city is famous for are basically gone from here.
man i gotta agree with you. the music scene NOW is weak. At the same time people who want t make it big end up moving to la, nyc, atl ect.

That's why i'm always uploading some music from local/up&coming musicians(mostly hip hop)

nyc atl mia la got the best scenes right now

-mas23-

Last edited by mas23; 10-31-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 06:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Hmm well jazz and new orleans has a unique relationship...lots of people refer to NO as the birthplace of gospel but its slightly inaccurate...before it was termed jazz it was a style of music being employed all over the country not just NO
New Orleans is the "cradle of Jazz". Jazz, dixieland Jazz. I never really considered it a gospel city no more than any other city. It's not country either. I'm sure you could find a few country bands around there but more than anything else- Jazz.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
The map below represents US musical centers and American music diversity. As you can see it lists NYC, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, Minneapolis, Austin, Nashville, and several other legitimate music scenes.

Cool map...I can't seem to locate R&B anywhere though.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:55 PM

259 posts, read 543,074 times
I actually meant to say jazz not gospel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City