Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM

259 posts, read 543,074 times

Advertisements

The music scene in chicago is as alive as ever....lots of jazz..a bunch of blues..the underground hiphop scene is sick..and I dont even have to mention the gospel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 07:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Denver? I moved to Minneapolis from Denver and MPLS. kicks 10 different kinds of crap out of Denver when it comes to local music. Both cities do very well when it comes to attracting national and indie bands (i.e. Red Rocks (Denver) and First Avenue and the 7th Street Entry (Minneapolis)).

IMO, Minneapolis also takes Austin and Dallas and is on par with Atlanta.
Oh The String Cheese Incident is also from Denver (or maybe Boulder).

It depends on the genre, your taste, and over all what your looking for, but IMO Minneapolis, Dallas, and Atlanta don't ever come close to Austin's live music scene. I don't think I would put it on par with New York and Seattle, but it's up there pretty high.

But, I do like really like Atmosphere though. I saw him at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. It was pretty tight. Who else is from Minneapolis?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
The music scene in chicago is as alive as ever....lots of jazz..a bunch of blues..the underground hiphop scene is sick..and I dont even have to mention the gospel
As far as the mainstream rap/rnb the only people to come out this year was twista(dope album) and Jeremih(decent singer) but thats all i can think of..

a couple up&coming rappers

ace mac(make it rain remix)

YouTube - Ace Mac Ft. Lupe Fiasco, Raheem Devaughn - Cruisin

skooda chose

YouTube - Skooda Chose - "U Feelin Me"

Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Oh The String Cheese Incident is also from Denver (or maybe Boulder).

It depends on the genre, your taste, and over all what your looking for, but IMO Minneapolis, Dallas, and Atlanta don't ever come close to Austin's live music scene. I don't think I would put it on par with New York and Seattle, but it's up there pretty high.

But, I do like really like Atmosphere though. I saw him at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. It was pretty tight. Who else is from Minneapolis?
The String Cheese is from Boulder and I dig them. I also agree with you in that Austin has a better live music scene than Minneapolis. Heck, Austin has better live music than the majority of cities. Minneapolis, however, has some great bands (past and present). My favorite bands from Austin are Ghostland Observatory and the Black Angels.

BTW, Minneapolis - St. Paul has one of the best, if not the best, radio station in the country (89.3 the Current, http://minnesota.publicradio.org/rad...s/the_current/). That has a lot to do with the music scene there too.

In addition Atmosphere, several other bands have and are coming out of Minneapolis.
A Few Bands from the Past:
Bob Dylan (got his start in the Dinkytown area of Minneapolis)
Prince
The Replacements
Hüsker Dü
Semisonic
Soul Asylum
Information Society
Jonny Lang
Next
Mint Condition
Morris Day and the Time
Babes in Toyland
Sounds of Blackness
The Suburbs

Present Bands:
Cloud Cult
Hold Steady (now out of Brooklyn)
Brother Ali
Tapes 'n Tapes
P.O.S.
Mason Jennings
Halloween Alaska
Dillinger Four
Happy Apple
Quietdrive
Motion City Soundtrack
Kid Dakota
A Whisper In The Noise
All The Pretty Horses
Eyedea & Abilities
To Kill A Petty Bourgeoisie
STNNNG
Retribution Gospel Choir
Birthday Suits
The Idle Hands
The Bad Plus

I can go on and on, but I think you understand that there is a rich, music history in the Twin Cities.

Last edited by BlackOut; 10-31-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 PM

Oh well im not referring soley to people with deals...im speaking of the overall musical atmosphere of the city...chicago is an epicenter for music

Old 10-31-2009, 09:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
New York City is a center for all types of music including Hip-Hop (its the birthplace of Hip-Hop as well).

A cypher in Harlem (NYC)

YouTube - Go Hard or Go Home ft. Hedonis Da Amazon, Malik 16, go-d (Digiwaxx Cypher 3/26/09)

Freestyles/Cyphers/Battles are common in NYC/Jersey/Philly Underground Hip-Hop. The NYC/Jersey/Philly underground is way larger than the mainstream.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
The String Cheese is from Boulder and I dig them. I also agree with you in that Austin has a better live music scene than Minneapolis. Heck, Austin has better live music than the majority of cities. Minneapolis, however, has some great bands (past and present). My favorite bands from Austin are Ghostland Observatory and the Black Angels.

BTW, Minneapolis - St. Paul has one of the best, if not the best, radio station in the country (89.3 the Current, The Current from Minnesota Public Radio). That has a lot to do with the music scene there too.

In addition Atmosphere, several other bands have and are coming out of Minneapolis.
Prince
The Replacements
Hüsker Dü
Semisonic
Soul Asylum
Information Society
Jonny Lang
Next
Mint Condition
Morris Day and the Time
Babes in Toyland
Sounds of Blackness
The Suburbs

Present Bands:
Cloud Cult
Brother Ali
Tapes 'n Tapes
P.O.S.
Mason Jennings
Halloween Alaska
Dillinger Four
Happy Apple
Quietdrive
Motion City Soundtrack
Kid Dakota
A Whisper In The Noise
All The Pretty Horses
Eyedea & Abilities
STNNNG
Retribution Gospel Choir
Birthday Suits
The Idle Hands
The Bad Plus

I can go on and on, but I think you understand that there is a rich, music history in the Twin Cities.
I'm not a huge Rock fan but Motion City Soundtrack is one of my favorite bands. Props to Minneapolis.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York City is a center for all types of music including Hip-Hop (its the birthplace of Hip-Hop as well).

A cypher in Harlem (NYC)

YouTube - Go Hard or Go Home ft. Hedonis Da Amazon, Malik 16, go-d (Digiwaxx Cypher 3/26/09)

Freestyles/Cyphers/Battles are common in NYC/Jersey/Philly Underground Hip-Hop. The NYC/Jersey/Philly underground is way larger than the mainstream.
Since when is NYC the center for Blues,Country or even rock and R&B? NYC is overrated.Hip hop was created in NYC,but even the roots of its foundation are from other areas of music created somewhere else in the U.S. and Caribbean.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 AM

I will give New York hiphop true enough they were freestyling in jamica before long before nyc got hip to it...but nyc created the culture..its undeniable because honestly other cities putting out artist are doing a lousy job of holding up standards

Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:

BTW, Minneapolis - St. Paul has one of the best, if not the best, radio station in the country (89.3 the Current, The Current from Minnesota Public Radio). That has a lot to do with the music scene there too.

Prince
The Replacements
Hüsker Dü
Semisonic
Soul Asylum
Information Society
Jonny Lang
Next
Mint Condition
Morris Day and the Time
Babes in Toyland
Sounds of Blackness
The Suburbs

Present Bands:
Cloud Cult
Brother Ali
Tapes 'n Tapes
P.O.S.
Mason Jennings
Halloween Alaska
Dillinger Four
Happy Apple
Quietdrive
Motion City Soundtrack
Kid Dakota
A Whisper In The Noise
All The Pretty Horses
Eyedea & Abilities
STNNNG
Retribution Gospel Choir
Birthday Suits
The Idle Hands
The Bad Plus

Oh wow. That's an impressive list. I'm a HUGE Bob Dylan fan BTW. I think saying he got his start in Minneapolis might be a stretch. He's from Duluth and went to college some where in Minnesota for like two years (I'm assuming somewhere in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area). I think he started righting and playing for crowds in college but he didn't build much of a reputation there. He moved to New York when he was like 20 and not too long after that is when he became really big. I would say he's from Duluth and really got his start in New York but I guess you could make a case for Minneapolis.

I thought Brother Ali was from Madison, WI?

I forgot about the Hold Steady, but The Hold Steady and Atmosphere are probably my two favorite acts to come out of Minneapolis/ St. Paul.

I didn't know about Minneapolis's radio station. I know Cincinnati has a really good one as well. I can't remember what it's called, but I have their pod cast in my iTunes. The stations in Austin are pretty lame IMO.

The Black Angels and Ghostland Observatory are two of my favorite Austin bands as well. I think the next big bands to come out of Austin will be White Denim and The Black Joe Lewis. I would recommend checking them out if you haven't already.

As for who has the best live music scene, it depends. If your talk music festivals, it's Austin hands down over any other city in the country. In addition the city also has Austin City Limits, heights amount of music venues per capita, C3, and a thriving music scene to go along with it. It's become a must stop for touring bands and musicians. At the same time, I'm not sure Austin would beat out Seattle and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City