Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Ugh what a digrace to compare a crappy city like houston to LA.
Yeah this really adds much to the thread.

But no, I do not believe Houstonians want their city to be like LA. I also do not believe Miami is like LA. Miami is dense, has Hispanics, and on an ocean but that's about it. Miami is more similar to New York than it is to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah this really adds much to the thread.

But no, I do not believe Houstonians want their city to be like LA. I also do not believe Miami is like LA. Miami is dense, has Hispanics, and on an ocean but that's about it. Miami is more similar to New York than it is to LA.
We can really come up with similarities between any two cities we choose...it's not that difficult.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
We can really come up with similarities between any two cities we choose...it's not that difficult.
You really can't.

For example, I've been to Atlanta many times, and Atlanta does not remind me of LA at all. Atlanta did remind me of the DC area suburbs though. I'm talking about appearance, for the most part.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
You really can't.

For example, I've been to Atlanta many times, and Atlanta does not remind me of LA at all. Atlanta did remind me of the DC area suburbs though. I'm talking about appearance, for the most part.
But anyone who knows anything about the two cities (or has a search engine available) can come up with a list of similarities between Atlanta and LA - or any other pair of cities. It's not hard.

Two cities can be as different as night and day, but still have similarities.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
But anyone who knows anything about the two cities (or has a search engine available) can come up with a list of similarities between Atlanta and LA - or any other pair of cities. It's not hard.

Two cities can be as different as night and day, but still have similarities.
It's not even about that. It's the fact that people are saying there nothing alike, and acting brand new, when people have been saying that for a while on city-data. It's ALWAYS been Houston resembles LA on C-D. By Californians and Texans alike. All of a sudden, it's "Houston resembles LA?" No way. Confusing to me.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,495 times
Houston and LA are very similar.
A humongous Mexican-American population in both.
A significant Asian population in both.
Both have huge ports.
They are both close to the Mexican border.
Similar historical background.
The both have beaches. LA's looks nicer but it's more contaminated. Houston's seems dirty but it's actually silt and is not cold like the Pacific coast.
Humongous freeways systems, and very congested both cities.
There is still a southern influence in Houston but there is also a Hispanic as well as other nationalities that influence the rest of Houston's culture. LA has a Mexican American Mayor and with more than 5 million Mexican American that infuence LA.
California in general has a large country and western influence, just visit Bakersfield.
LA has had a smog and air polution problem for decades and Houston is not far behind.
There are just soo many similarities but of course they are both two different cities. A few people mentioned that LA is more similar to Miami. I almost laughed, in Miami hardly anyone speaks English, and the hispanics there are not Mexican Americans like they are in Houston and LA. two different worlds.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 PM

^^^It's funny, people have been saying these 2 cities were similar for a while. I don't know what's up now. I still think LA and Miami also have MANY things in common. Houston and LA have HUGE differences, but the similarities are quite HUGE also.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 PM

306 posts, read 319,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spade View Post
yeah this really adds much to the thread.

But no, i do not believe houstonians want their city to be like la. I also do not believe miami is like la. Miami is dense, has hispanics, and on an ocean but that's about it. miami is more similar to new york than it is to la.

haha. No way

Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 PM

Yeah I don't like the Miami NY comparisons. There may be alot of New Yorkers in Miami, but it's nothing like NYC.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:41 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I didn't say it's like New York. I said it's more like New York than it is LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City