Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 01:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Daytona Beach is one of the places that I've never actually visited so won't argue. I've been to Atlanta, New Orleans, Winston-Salem, Orlando, and Richmond. And I was only 15 in Winston-Salem. Richmond really just passed through. I've been told that Dallas is very "country" so assumed Houston would be too.
Well you've been told very wrong. Dallas is one of the least southern cities in the south. Houston is more southern. Dallas is very country???? I don't even know how to respond to that.

You'll have a hard time convincing others who have visited Dallas and Houston that they are southern. People in Houston are now beginning to call it the southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:51 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well you've been told very wrong. Dallas is one of the least southern cities in the south. Houston is more southern. Dallas is very country???? I don't even know how to respond to that.

You'll have a hard time convincing others who have visited Dallas and Houston that they are southern. People in Houston are now beginning to call it the southwest.
LOL Calm down. That's what I heard. My friend was dating some crazy internet girl in Dallas and he said that Dallas was more country than Atlanta. Poor grammar I know but that's what he said. That's not a bad thing. I think I'd find that kinda appealing if not for the heat in Dallas. A place that's hotter than Georgia in August? HA! I don't know if I'm ready.

You don't know how to respond? A simple "You're right as always Terrence." will suffice...for now.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:

So true. Dallas has an almost great plains mid-western vibe to it. We are in the process of looking for a house in the Plano/Frisco area. My wife always comments on how much it looks like Dakotas (though obviously much warmer). Houston is definately more southern. Austin would be less southern (least southern on the list in my opinion). Orlando itself isnt all that southern, but the areas right outside it are extremely southern.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Quote:

I've never been to Dallas, but I responded similarly when someone said Orlando was southern.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
So true. Dallas has an almost great plains mid-western vibe to it. We are in the process of looking for a house in the Plano/Frisco area. My wife always comments on how much it looks like Dakotas (though obviously much warmer). Houston is definately more southern. Austin would be less southern (least southern on the list in my opinion). Orlando itself isnt all that southern, but the areas right outside it are extremely southern.
Yes, parts. Such as Bithlo and Christmas. And Lake County is pretty southern still, but again, that's another county.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
LOL Calm down. That's what I heard. My friend was dating some crazy internet girl in Dallas and he said that Dallas was more country than Atlanta. Poor grammar I know but that's what he said. That's not a bad thing. I think I'd find that kinda appealing if not for the heat in Dallas. A place that's hotter than Georgia in August? HA! I don't know if I'm ready.

You don't know how to respond? A simple "You're right as always Terrence." will suffice...for now.
I was never calmed up.

I will say Dallas is more country than Houston, but Houston is more southern. Country and southern really aren't the same thing and saying very country is exaggeration.

I've noticed people on here have a tendency to call Dallas is country (mostly from Atlanta) and the reason is usually because of how people dress.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,849 times
New Orleans, Winston Salem, Richmond, Atlanta, Daytona, Houston, Dallas, Virginia Beach, Austin, Orlando

Old 12-06-2009, 08:49 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
I was never calmed up.

I will say Dallas is more country than Houston, but Houston is more southern. Country and southern really aren't the same thing and saying very country is exaggeration.
I'm willing to bet that most people not from the south have no idea what the difference is between being County (or KOUNTRY with a K if you prefer) and Southern.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Dallas country? Not really, places outside of Dallas are.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
having lived in Orlando for the past 4 years after 30+ some odd years in Miami I can say there is some southern culture left but it isn't obvious. Imagine my surprise when I first got here to see so many Confederate flags at no less than a KKK rally downtown! The joke around here is if you want to see Southern hicks (not my words) rebel flags, pick up trucks and every other stereotype of the South you go to Bithlo! They even joke about the place on conservative talk radio.
I've been to Orlando many times before but just on vacation until I moved here and seriously this place culturally and demographically reminds me a lot more of SE Florida than some southern city.
I here from people that say if you want true 'Southern" go north of I-4.
Oh by the way my nieces & nephews were born in Florida so they are natives but they would never consider themselves Southern, they would say they are Floridians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City