Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I find the pace of Savannah more similar to the majority of the South. It doesn't have the same demographic makeup as Houston. Houston not only has a high Hispanic and Catholic population. But it has a high Asian population as well (highest in the South). I never get the feel like I am maybe in another region in Savannah like I do when I'm in Houston. Sure, you'll find similarities. But the Southern culture is more stronger and more evident in Savannah than it is in Houston.
you keep proving my point. these things resulted from houston being the large metro it is. houston did not have a large hispanic or asian population before it was a big city. no large catholic population. houston was black, white, and protestant

have you spent any considerable amount of time in the lower income areas of houston? because it seems that you're judging houston from the more diverse, suburban areas or even the more cosmopolitan neighborhoods. from that viewpoint, houston won't seem that southern. as i said before, these are some of the same reasons people use to claim atlanta isn't really "the south" anymore. you have to look at the "real houston". those areas that are mostly untouched by outside influences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
so what exactly are we implying here? that blacks in these cities don't know any better? or the whites? i still don't see what race has to do with anything

the funny thing about san antonio is you have different regions throughout the metro. i've seen it being said several times that the east side is the most southern area. and that is true. try driving down eisenhauer or foster road into the kirby area and tell me you don't get atleast a southern vibe
So Chicago is southern as well??? Blacks in Chicago have much more in common with black southerners than anywhere else.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Like I said before on this board, I've had conversations with people from Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas, and they all think that Texas is just simply out west. I expect people to come in here and say the opposite as well but point is, Texas will be questioned from not until the end of time. I understand TexasReb's stance on Texas being Western South and it still is. But alot has changed in the last 20 year.
these are people who either haven't been here or didn't spend enough time here to have a truly informed opinion

i live in texas, and know more than just a few people from the southeast who have moved here. every last one of them recognizes texas as a southern state

Old 04-04-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
So Chicago is southern as well??? Blacks in Chicago have much more in common with black southerners than anywhere else.
you and i both know that isn't the case. sure, chicagoans have it's southern aspects (being descendants of southerners), but they're midwestern overall. and i'm not trying to claim san antonio is completely southern because it isn't. but it is transitional

Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
you keep proving my point. these things resulted from houston being the large metro it is. houston did not have a large hispanic or asian population before it was a big city. no large catholic population. houston was black, white, and protestant
Nevertheless, that has diluted many of it's southern characteristics in the past decade or so. The demographics of the region are different than the rest of the South. You had an argument in the 1970s. You don't in the 2010s considering that Hispanics will become the majority in Houston sometime this decade (or next) and Asians are starting to gain as well.

Quote:
have you spent any considerable amount of time in the lower income areas of houston? because it seems that you're judging houston from the more diverse, suburban areas or even the more cosmopolitan neighborhoods. from that viewpoint, houston won't seem that southern. as i said before, these are some of the same reasons people use to claim atlanta isn't really "the south" anymore. you have to look at the "real houston". those areas that are mostly untouched by outside influences
Yes, I've spent considerable amount of time in the lower income areas. Doesn't change my opinion.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
these are people who either haven't been here or didn't spend enough time here to have a truly informed opinion

i live in texas, and know more than just a few people from the southeast who have moved here. every last one of them recognizes texas as a southern state
I understand that and that's why I said I expect people will come in here and say the exact opposite. But my point was that Texas Southernness will be questioned by natives and people from other parts of the country because it has it's own vibe and the demographics is far more different than the rest of the South. This does exclude east Texas though which is all Southern.

But hey, that's just like questioning if Virginia is Southern (which it is and is also always questioned).

Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Nevertheless, that has diluted many of it's southern characteristics in the past decade or so. The demographics of the region are different than the rest of the South. You had an argument in the 1970s. You don't in the 2010s considering that Hispanics will become the majority in Houston sometime this decade (or next) and Asians are starting to gain as well.

Yes, I've spent considerable amount of time in the lower income areas. Doesn't change my opinion.
it doesn't work that way

so what about all those people living in neighborhoods with little to no hispanics? a whole bunch of illegals rushing into the city automatically gets to change their status as southern?

is connecticut not really new england because of its high puerto rican population? is the buford highway area of atlanta not southern because blacks are outnumbered by hispanics in some places?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im going to get flammed for saying this, but here goes:

Ive noticed that African-Americans from Texas are alot quicker to identify themselves and Texas as southern or the south. Hispanics, Asians, and (to a lesser degree whites) are more mixed. Some identify as southern, some dont.
You’re not going to get flamed because it’s true. Texas was a confederate state and black people have strong memory of the past. Texas wasn't any better than the rest of the south. Texas had slaves and plantations. Black Texans where lynched and dragged well up into the 60's. "Sadly" but the south consist of Old confederate states and Texas left the union along with its other southern brothers. Juneteenth is very important to the African American community in Texas because that was the day we were declared free. These new found Americans would not be enjoying the fruits of America if it wasn't for black Americans of the past.

Juneteenth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You’re not going to get flamed because it’s true. Texas was a confederate state and black people have strong memory of the past. Texas wasn't any better than the rest of the south. Texas had slaves and plantations. Black Texans where lynched and dragged well up into the 60's. "Sadly" but the south consist of Old confederate states and Texas left the union along with its other southern brothers. Juneteenth is very important to the African American community in Texas because that was the day we were declared free. These new found Americans would not be enjoying the fruits of America if it wasn't for black Americans of the past.

Juneteenth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However those type of issues were only confined to the eastern parts of the state (East of 35 including San Antonio).

Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
it doesn't work that way

so what about all those people living in neighborhoods with little to no hispanics? a whole bunch of illegals rushing into the city automatically gets to change their status as southern?

is connecticut not really new england because of its high puerto rican population? is the buford highway area of atlanta not southern because blacks are outnumbered by hispanics in some places?
You keep focusing on certain neighborhoods. I'm focusing on the entire region as a whole. There is never a controversy on what region Connecticut is actually at compared to Houston or Texas. Again, I never said that Houston was not Southern in this thread. I said that the feel of Southernness is stronger in Savannah than it is in Houston. I also said that the rapidly changing demographics in the region has diluted the Southernness to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City