U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
 
486 posts, read 636,246 times
Reputation: 308

Advertisements

I'd say New Orleans is the least stereotypically southern of the cities listed. The food (gumbo, jambalaya, etc), music (zydeco, etc), dominant religion (Catholicism), French origins, etc, are very non-traditional compared to the rest of the southern U.S.

I once heard it said by a local when I was on a visit to N.O. that "the South ends 30 miles north of New Orleans".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,673,018 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can discount the amount of illegal Hispanics in Houston and they will still be the largest minority group in the city and region.
i seriously doubt that

Quote:
But again, nobody is saying that if Hispanics come into the city, it is no longer Southern. I've yet to see anyone say that. We are only saying that the Southern characteristics have been diluted and that's a given because of growth of the area. I acknowledge your point on that this argument can be true for any major city with growth. Doesn't change the opinion.
okay, but my other point is that it does not "dillute" anything. it mixes in with the already existing culture and ADDS to it

Quote:
The Houston region is nothing like Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis in that they are very Southern because their demographics has not changed like Houston's has.
so here's my question: if houston was still black and white, would it be as southern as those cities you named (in your opinion)?

Quote:
I also would say there is a different between East Texas and Southeast Texas which is more Gulf Coastal.
east texas is east texas, and the southeast portion is definitely part of it. the differences you'll see is the terrain, and the fact that SE texas has a bit more cajun influences in parts. there's absolutely no reason why the southern half shouldn't be included
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas have all seen significant increases in there Hispanic population. For goodness sake there was a Latino baby boom in New Orleans after Katrina. There was a report out of South Carolina that the fastest growing minority group was Hispanic. I personally am just appalled at the growth itís almost like my Latino brother/sisters are on a mission to take over America. The south in 10 to 15 years will also be majority hispanic. The cubans from south Flordia and the Mexicans from the west. Nobody saw this coming in 1990.
Well, Texas is a bit different than those states. Hispanics have not really placed their presence in those states like they have in Texas, yet. Numbers is another indication.

Oklahoma 267,000
Arkansas 150,000
Louisiana 136,000
Texas 8,600,399

and this was as of 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
3,596 posts, read 4,317,210 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well, Texas is a bit different than those states. Hispanics have not really placed their presence in those states like they have in Texas, yet. Numbers is another indication.

Oklahoma 267,000
Arkansas 150,000
Louisiana 136,000
Texas 8,600,399

and this was as of 2007.
The keyword is "Yet" just wait. The foundation has been laid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i seriously doubt that
http://www.s4.brown.edu/cen2000/Hisp...ta/3360msa.htm
And this was only as of Census 2000. The Black population has reached 1 million since then. But the Hispanic population has grown faster and that will show that Houston will have over 2 million Hispanics when Census 2010 comes out. I did read there was already over 2 milllion Hispanics in the Houston region from some article. Have to find it.

Quote:
okay, but my other point is that it does not "dillute" anything. it mixes in with the already existing culture and ADDS to it
Sure, you can make that argument if you live in Houston or other places in Texas outside of Deep East Texas. But to many people from Mississippi, Alabama, or even Georgia, they would have a hard time thinking they are still in a Southern city somewhat.

Quote:
so here's my question: if houston was still black and white, would it be as southern as those cities you named (in your opinion)?
Yes and no. It would have retained most of the characteristics but anytime something new comes in, the vibe will change. Harris County is now a Catholic county now which is different from the rest of the South. I don't get the slow pace lifestyle when I'm in Houston.


Quote:
east texas is east texas, and the southeast portion is definitely part of it. the differences you'll see is the terrain, and the fact that SE texas has a bit more cajun influences in parts. there's absolutely no reason why the southern half shouldn't be included
If you ask any east Texan they will tell you there is a different between coastal Texas and East Texas. Just like how Austin is not in the Hill Country. Culturally, they do have some differences but somebody from East Texas would have to expand on that more. Put it like this. Houston has more in common with Lake Charles, Beaumont, and Lafayette, then they do with Tyler, Longview, Shreveport, and Lufkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The keyword is "Yet" just wait. The foundation has been laid.
You honestly can say that for any state though. But 5% of the state of Arkansas is Hispanic, 7% of the state of Oklahoma is Hispanic, and only 3% of the state of Louisiana is Hispanic. It has a ways to go. Compared to 36% of the state of Texas is Hispanic which is projected to be 40% by census 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
3,596 posts, read 4,317,210 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
http://www.s4.brown.edu/cen2000/Hisp...ta/3360msa.htm
And this was only as of Census 2000. The Black population has reached 1 million since then. But the Hispanic population has grown faster and that will show that Houston will have over 2 million Hispanics when Census 2010 comes out. I did read there was already over 2 milllion Hispanics in the Houston region from some article. Have to find it.



Sure, you can make that argument if you live in Houston or other places in Texas outside of Deep East Texas. But to many people from Mississippi, Alabama, or even Georgia, they would have a hard time thinking they are still in a Southern city somewhat.



Yes and no. It would have retained most of the characteristics but anytime something new comes in, the vibe will change. Harris County is now a Catholic county now which is different from the rest of the South. I don't get the slow pace lifestyle when I'm in Houston.




If you ask any east Texan they will tell you there is a different between coastal Texas and East Texas. Just like how Austin is not in the Hill Country. Culturally, they do have some differences but somebody from East Texas would have to expand on that more. Put it like this. Houston has more in common with Lake Charles, Beaumont, and Lafayette, then they do with Tyler, Longview, Shreveport, and Lufkin.
Georgia hispanic population is at around 800,000 now. It will probably at least increase by 400,000 by 2020 if we look at trends from the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
3,596 posts, read 4,317,210 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You honestly can say that for any state though. But 5% of the state of Arkansas is Hispanic, 7% of the state of Oklahoma is Hispanic, and only 3% of the state of Louisiana is Hispanic. It has a ways to go. Compared to 36% of the state of Texas is Hispanic which is projected to be 40% by census 2010.
Those state are relatively low populated states and with a signifcant increase in the hispanic population they will have no problem with boosting those percentages. Those states growth rates are mild at best and all three have increasing hispanic population. As I stated before 1990 nobody saw the major demographic shift coming in Texas. Even with a Texas black population growing at a nice pace. Percentage wise it is declining. Its wierd to have a growing healthy black population but percentage wise its declining.

Last edited by kdogg817; 04-04-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,673,018 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
http://www.s4.brown.edu/cen2000/Hisp...ta/3360msa.htm
And this was only as of Census 2000. The Black population has reached 1 million since then. But the Hispanic population has grown faster and that will show that Houston will have over 2 million Hispanics when Census 2010 comes out. I did read there was already over 2 milllion Hispanics in the Houston region from some article. Have to find it.
i'm finding sources that estimated the greater houston illegal immigrant population to be well past half a million, and i'm sure this doesn't even count the children of illegals who are american born. so yeah...

considering all that, i'll admit that the legal hispanic population MIGHTbe a bit larger than the black population, but there's no proof of that


Quote:
Sure, you can make that argument if you live in Houston or other places in Texas outside of Deep East Texas. But to many people from Mississippi, Alabama, or even Georgia, they would have a hard time thinking they are still in a Southern city somewhat.
not if they met the born and bred southerners of houston. but if they're hanging out in sugar land or the woodlands, then yeah possibly

Quote:
Yes and no. It would have retained most of the characteristics but anytime something new comes in, the vibe will change. Harris County is now a Catholic county now which is different from the rest of the South. I don't get the slow pace lifestyle when I'm in Houston.
you lost me here

Quote:
If you ask any east Texan they will tell you there is a different between coastal Texas and East Texas. Just like how Austin is not in the Hill Country. Culturally, they do have some differences but somebody from East Texas would have to expand on that more. Put it like this. Houston has more in common with Lake Charles, Beaumont, and Lafayette, then they do with Tyler, Longview, Shreveport, and Lufkin.
lol i don't believe i ever stated that i wasn't from east texas, so i don't need to ask anybody anything. imagine if east texas was its own state (which it practically is). that's the same as people saying new orleans ISN'T Louisiana, or atlanta isn't really georgia simply because it has it's own culture. statements like that are popular opinion, but they aren't based in any fact, nor are they historically sound. houston is IN southeast texas, and southEAST texas is IN east texas. period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
3,596 posts, read 4,317,210 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i'm finding sources that estimated the greater houston illegal immigrant population to be well past half a million, and i'm sure this doesn't even count the children of illegals who are american born. so yeah...

considering all that, i'll admit that the legal hispanic population MIGHTbe a bit larger than the black population, but there's no proof of that


not if they met the born and bred southerners of houston. but if they're hanging out in sugar land or the woodlands, then yeah possibly

you lost me here


lol i don't believe i ever stated that i wasn't from east texas, so i don't need to ask anybody anything. imagine if east texas was its own state (which it practically is). that's the same as people saying new orleans ISN'T Louisiana, or atlanta isn't really georgia simply because it has it's own culture. statements like that are popular opinion, but they aren't based in any fact, nor are they historically sound. houston is IN southeast texas, and southEAST texas is IN east texas. period
Al green you know I agree with you. The problem I have is Spade and others down playing black influence in the state of Texas. I don't care if in the future if we made up 3% of Texas population we helped build this state and history shows that. Regardless how large the hispanic population gets we are still here and will continue to have strong influence in the state. This is not California our roots in the state of Texas go way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top